Justice as Magician + HP

Aeric

I've been wondering lately if Justice has some subliminal connction to both the Magician and the High Priestess. She raises her sword and lowers her scale like Magician, and is seated on a stone before two curtained pillars like HP. Unlike HP, her court is earthly, royal purple and conducted in daylight. Unlike Magician, she raises a sword of justice rather than a wand to be a conduit.

As balance, is she meant to be a combination of the two? Passive judgment and active dispension? Her scales are bowls, vessels like cups the Water suit; HP is ruled by the Moon, the watery planet of emotion, while Magician is active Mercury, air. Is Justice the balance of air and water, mental truth tempered by love?

Teheuti

I've been wondering lately if Justice has some subliminal connction to both the Magician and the High Priestess.
I find that all the Trumps have "some subliminal connection" to each other - in an infinite variety of ways - some that I'm still discovering and others that have very obvious, nifty explanations for the connection. The comparison and contrast of Trumps in a reading can suggest ways in which these possible connections become highlighted or turned on by the situation.

For instance, in the RWS deck Justice is numbered 11. It reduces to 2, as does 20-Judgement. Therefore we could say that good judgement requires a balance (the pillars) of both reason (Justice) and intuition (High Priestess). 11 consists numerologically of two one's and is a one in a new set of 10 (the Magician).

If you are using the pillars as the key link between Justice and the HP, then you might want to also consider the pillars of the Hierophant - how are they the same and/or different? What about the two towers in the Moon and Temperance cards - are they related to the pillars? Justice is Libra, therefore how is it related to Venus (the Empress) that rules Libra? These connections are never ending and absolutely fascinating.

Richard

Here's another numerological connection. 11 reduces to 2. The theosophical extension of 2 is 3 (1 + 2 = 3), which is the Magician (1) + High Priestess (2). Of course, this also brings in the Empress (3), but the High Priestess and Empress are essentially two aspects/states, Virgin and Mother (sound familiar?), of the same entity.

The theosophical extension is not as familiar as reduction, but it connects the zodiac to tarot. The extension of 12 (the number of constellations in the zodiac) is 78 (the number of tarot cards): 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10+11+12 = 78