Which deck?

tarot_chick

I am going to go today and get a Thoth deck,but was wondering - is one better then the other?

I see one post that says the larger one is great (in the white box)

then I see another thread stating that the newer deck is best.

I am getting this deck because I want to start using a deck intuitivly instead of relying on the keywords.

I am also getting Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot By:Lon Milo DuQuette

Any help whould be great!

Thank you,
Rhonda

LeBasteleur

I had the same problem a while ago, when I bought my first Thoth deck.

I first bought the one with the smaller cards (the mauve box), and when I came home, I was kind of disappointed by the size. I went back to the store and bought the large one (green box).

For my own experience, I like the larger ones, they're easier to study and meditate as you see the details much better. When I'm home, I always use the large one. When I travel, I take the small ones with me, as they fit much better in my shirt pocket, or y computer bag.

Hope I could give you a little bit of help.

Abrac

Hmm...which Thoth is best? How many times have we had this conversation?

Well, in my view, there are some older US Games versions with green borders that are the best, but they are out of print and can be hard to come by. I am assuming you want something you can buy right now and get started.

If you like regular sized cards I would get the US Games version in the lavender (mauve) colored box. If you plan on reading with them, they are a lot easier to shuffle and use than the big ones.

If you want the large cards, the US Games version in the green box is as good as anything out there. Look for "AGMuller" printed on the back border. A lot of people like these because it's easier to see the details.

There is another large version in a blue box that says AGMuller on the front of the box. These are supposed to be really nice but they can be hard to come by in the US (unless you want to order it online). I think they sell for around $50 so if you can find one for less than that I would say get it.

My 2 cents, happy hunting. :)

Keldor

It might not be a matter of choice, the only deck my bookstore had was the one in the larger one by US Games (it came in a greenish box with a drawing simmilar to the two of disks on the front)

Also, If your getting DuQuette's book you might have to ask your bookstore to order it for you, I only saw it once at the bookstore (ironically enough when I first bought my Thoth, but I didn't get it, because I didn't know I was going to buy a thoth deck, until I saw it, and I had spent the rest of my money) so when I went back they had sold it, so I went to a local bookstore and ordered it (just got it this week

tarot_chick

Ok...I have found the book at Borders and TWO decks of Thoth cards by U.S. Games

One is Aleister Crowley Thoth Tarot Deck by James Wasserman ISBN: 0913866156

The other one is Crowley Thoth Tarot by Aleister Crowley ISBN: 1572815108

What is the difference?Is one newer?

More clearer - better color?

I would love a large deck but I don't want to sacrifice print quality.

Rhonda

Abrac

This one (0913866156) is the large size but does not have three versions of the Magus.

I've never seen this one (1572815108). It must be a new one. It's a large version with three versions of the Magus. It looks like it also has a color spread sheet which the other one doesn't have.

I doubt there is that much difference in print quality, but since I've never seen the second one I can't say for sure. All the Thoth decks are printed in Belgium by AGMuller with different packaging and different names on the boxes, so they are basically the same. There does seem to me to be a difference between the large size and the standard size though. The large ones are a little darker.

When it says James Wasserman it's talking about the LWB. He is the author of the instruction booklet.

Abrac

As soon as I posted I went over to eBay and saw this. It's not a large deck after all. This is blatant false advertising. It's a kit with this deck inside. It's a standard size with three Magus versions. This is the one I have.

Now that I think about it, this has been discussed before in another thread.

rainwolf

"I am getting this deck because I want to start using a deck intuitivly instead of relying on the keywords."

If thats the case then I would get the large one and cut off the borders right away. Thats what I did and i don't even know what the titles are. Amazingly beautiful once cut. And make sure you get a corner cutter so the edges are nice.

RW

Sinduction

Whatever you do, don't get the green cards. I don't know which ones are not green but I have a green deck and I hate it.

I want to buy another large deck but am not sure if they will be green too.

The crowned one

tarot_chick said:
I am getting this deck because I want to start using a deck intuitivly instead of relying on the keywords.

I am also getting Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot By:Lon Milo DuQuette

Any help whould be great!

Thank you,
Rhonda

You can be intuitive with any deck..