what is your take on astrology for public figures ?

HOLMES

in the one astrology books I have for beginners mapping your brithchart , understanding your needs and potentials.
there are charts cast for George w. bush, joans keplers, celion dion, Muhammad ali in the book.
and on the websites there are charts for famous people cast , and so I come here to ask well is that ok ?

in a thread in talking tarot we talking about if it is ok to do tarot readings about public figures and so far the general census is 8 no, to 2 yes, and me maybe in certain situations.

but i am fascinated about how there are lots of charts online about public figures. what is the general purpose ?

i know for me as i look at my recent astrology attempt to learn i am looking at the chart of my buddy.

so is it just for learning purpose aka look up at a couple of your favourite celebrities and try to figure out what made them tick , learning to do natal charts
or is it for people to try to predictive charts with , or medical ?

do you wish these charts were not online , should they be ?

Minderwiz

Well you're not going to see them taken off the internet, no matter how hard your protest.

But you have a good point. I know a professional Astrologer of international standing (Sue Ward) who totally agrees with not reading a celebrity chart without their express permission. She sees it as an invasion of their privacy.

Most of these charts are put up for the following reasons.

To illustrate and teach - by their very nature most people know of celebrities and their lives, so its easier to talk about something in their chart that had affected their lives and illustrate a point.

To make predictions about their future - Messrs Clinton, Trump, Sanders, etc have had their charts disected by hoards of Astrologers trying to forecast who would be President of the US of A.

To attract readers to the website of the Astrologer concerned. Selfish but true, especially if the Celeb is in the news.

To try and make sense of events in which the Celeb has been involved - there was a lot of attention to the chart of wikileaks founder, Julian Assange following the release of lots of embarrasing information by the site and attempts by the Swedish judiciary to have him tried for rape.

To show off the Astrologer's skills.

The problem, from an Astrology point of view, is that whilst we know much of the public life of Celebrities, we don't know much if anything of their private lives, or their childhood (unless they make that known, through interviews) or their relationships with their partners, again unless it hits the media. Often, we don't know even know their birth times. I've seen many a celeb analysis which uses a sunrise or a noon chart and then pontificates on their lives and action.

The thread on why Astrologers got the US election wrong, has as one of its themes, the lack of a clear birth time for Hillary Clinton. All those column inches, many or possibly even all of which were based on a false birth time.

So we have invasion of privacy but with little practical use.

HOLMES

Most of these charts are put up for the following reasons.

To illustrate and teach - by their very nature most people know of celebrities and their lives, so its easier to talk about something in their chart that had affected their lives and illustrate a point.

So we have invasion of privacy but with little practical use.

minderwiz assuming the time is right,,

would just doing natal charts be good enough to teach, is that not a practical use.

I guess it would be had to look at a natal chart just by a public point of view, for while doing my friends just now as I type this,, if it points towards a troubled childhood while we think they had a good one , a tabeloid make pick it up (assuming I set up a website and did all that ) and go being noisy looking for a headline.
(that sort of happened in the crown movie but not with astrology just a reporter noticed a gesture and used it to create the scandal of princess marget affair ) .

have you personally did any celebrities charts and if so found them instructive ?

Minderwiz

You're misquoting me.... There's a good deal between the two paragraphs you quote and the second one on invasion of privacy and practical use actually follows on directly from my comment on the issues surrounding Hillary Clinton's unknown birth time and specifically relates back to it.

On the teaching side, yes celebrate charts can be a useful aid. Ideally the teacher should check with the celeb that firstly their chart can be used and secondly that the chart is accurate. In practice that might not be possible.

Yes, I have used celeb charts, both as a student and on here. The last I used was Julian Assange, when he was a major news item. In my defence, he was a news item and much of his life was splashed over the media.

As a student, I've been given charts of celebs I've never heard of (the Atlantic seems to cut off the game of minor celebs in both directions) and the net result was only Moly instructive.

HOLMES

ohhh

first minderwiz
let me apologize for misquoting you
(I always thought it was to cut down to the geist I was wanted to talk about from a person statement, therefore you are not the first person I misquoted here on the forum. I didn't see it like that before so sorry minder)

ah to the point of instructive, the chart if chosen by the instructor should have your points.
if I get deeper into astrology I should be certain about the accuracy of times, but I think it would be heck of a time trying to permission from say miley cyrus in today age.
though deceased celebrities like Charles heston, charlies Bronson (heroes of mine ) does one need permission or would they be fair game?

worry not , I have no clue who Julian Assange is , and so not aware of any scandal there.

about the word moly ,,
is that a typo or did you mean this ?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moly

hm is it possible minderwiz that due to your experience/knowledge,at the time? it wasn't instructive or was it just when you were starting out at a student you mean,, aka just learned to cast some charts.

thanks minderwiz.

Minderwiz

is , and so not aware of any scandal there.

about the word moly ,,
is that a typo or did you mean this ?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=moly

hm is it possible minderwiz that due to your experience/knowledge,at the time? it wasn't instructive or was it just when you were starting out at a student you mean,, aka just learned to cast some charts.

thanks minderwiz.

Apology accepted!! I only complained because it suggested I thought using celeb charts for teaching had no practical use and was an invasion of privacy. That's not my position. Incidentally there is a rumour that Hillary deliberately put out misleading times. If that was true then, she did not want her chart made public and that wish should have meant at least something to the outside world.

Moly was a case of the phantom spellchecker striking LOL. I think it should have been partly (instructive).

RohanMenon

What I personally learned from astrologers

using celebrity charts is that most astrologers can't predict future events worth a damn, even when given accurate charts. Many 'famous names' in astrology have feet of clay with respect to predictive technique.

The essence of astrology is prediction. Thought Experiment: Take away prediction from astrology and what is left? New age psychobabble that explains 'spiritual truths' in the language of pseudo psychology

But most astrology books reverse fit known facts about celebrities to whichever natal chart is available. The accuracy doesn't matter. If it is shown tomorrow that the celebrity chart was wrong, these so called 'astrologers' think up new justifications for fitting known events to the new charts.

A lot of people who predicted a Hillary win, for example, are now claiming they predicted her popular vote win. [1]

The good news in all this is that you can rapidly winnow the real pros from the hucksters. This is not limited to astrology - it applies to all forms of divination e.g Tarot.

[1] To be fair there are people like Chris Brennan who got the prediction wrong, but face it squarely, and don't try to hide the fact. My respect for him has gone up greatly.