Light Grey Art Lab's Cosmos Tarot and Oracle Set

rwcarter

I recently bought this deck and it was supposed to be shipped out Monday. Even the tracking sticker is on, but there hasn't been any movement and i'm worried. I emailed them and I received a reply today saying they'll look into it tomorrow.

Has this happened to anyone who've ordered this deck?
Welcome to Aeclectic, HaileyD!

Assuming the USPS, it's not unusual for tracking data not to be updated until after the package has been delivered. If it was only shipped yesterday, even if it was sent Priority, that's not supposed to arrive for 2-3 days, so you're looking at Wed or Thu. If you don't have the decks then, I'd start worrying.

Rodney

HaileyD

Welcome to Aeclectic, HaileyD!

Assuming the USPS, it's not unusual for tracking data not to be updated until after the package has been delivered. If it was only shipped yesterday, even if it was sent Priority, that's not supposed to arrive for 2-3 days, so you're looking at Wed or Thu. If you don't have the decks then, I'd start worrying.

Rodney

It is USPS. I'm relieved to hear it's just them, and not the shipping. Even the tracking isn't being updated, but like you said it's probably them. Thank you for calming my nerves, I really appreciate it! I'll definitely start to worry if it doesn't arrive by Friday.

Also, thank you for the kind welcome. :) I'm glad to join the tarot community!

Gwynydd

I've ordered this for my daughter's birthday, she loves astrology and asked if she could get this deck. I just hope it gets here in time

HaileyD

Update on Package Shipping

I've gotten a reply from the team saying that it was "stuck" in the post office and it should be delivered at my house by September 22nd or the 23rd.

I went to check the tracking package at the USPS website and it finally got accepted and sent to sorting and should be okay now. :)

Gwynydd

I was annoyed they took a good week or so before deciding to send it! Even if it wasn't a birthday gift, it's still a lot of money to fork out, so I would expect prompt service. Especially living in Australia, it normally takes a little while to get here. So when you find out a week or more later they've only just sent it, it's maddening

JDusk

Some thoughts

I got mine yesterday. :) Took two weeks to get here after ordering - I think it was ordered on a Monday and they only fill on Sundays, allow a week for the post office to process it all... I think that's reasonable for a very small, multi-tasking business, personally.

I love the cards, they're even more beautiful in person with all of the gilding on the edges and faces, especially on the oracle deck. There are a few that I'm not crazy about, which I kind of expect in a collaborative deck - and because I'm really picky about art! - but the number of outstanding cards makes up for the few weaknesses. The guidebook is pretty sizable as well, and very helpful. I also like some of the themed spreads it includes. Cardstock isn't fantastic, but the gilding kind of distracts me from it, so it doesn't feel too cheap.

Also, although I understand why people would consider it to be more of a giant oracle deck than a tarot, I did notice some structure going through it that made it feel more tarot-ish to me. The majors, while they don't resemble RW, do have the general feel of their archetypes, to me. Except Libra for Chariot - which I'm choosing to read as Justice, and Justice (Aquarius) as Chariot, because that really fits better. I even get the sense of forward motion from the Aquarius card. I can't help but feel they must have been switched by mistake.

A few tripped me up at first, like Capricorn for Judgement. The keywords say "setting priorities, efficiency, practicality," which didn't click for me, but what I noticed in the guidebook was it talking about "markers of progress in Capricorn's sure-footed journey up the mountain of life." That made me think about ascension, and being prepared to meet your moments of reckoning as you rise toward your ultimate destiny. It's a bit of a novel interpretation, but I like it. Then the card itself takes some consideration - the mer-goat (?) is either escaping or being caught in the binds of a fishing net in a giant splash, and the man riding it - is he guiding or defeating the goat? There is a victory/defeat theme. The goat's tongue is sticking out, so perhaps it has died, and the seafoam seems to be turning into clouds around it, like it is entering heaven - very Judgement-esque. And what of the banner?

This is perhaps better suited to a study group for this deck, but I'm trying to illustrate a few points here for anyone considering it: 1. It's not straightforward tarot, and it can be quite subtle, but I think the parallels with traditional meanings are still there. Sometimes it feels like it's taking aspects or nuances of RW and focusing on them, and elaborating on them, instead of trying to convey the entirety of the original meanings. 2. The keywords often seem very misleading. They sometimes seem to take the card in a different direction than the text, or do a poor job summarizing, and don't allow for those traditional meanings to arise intuitively.

The minors are where it gets very tricky, because they don't line up as neatly, but they do match their suits, as described by the guidebook, and I do see a story when I line them up in order. It will take me more time to compare cards between suits for common themes, but I suspect there is a system of sorts.

A very interesting deck, overall. I'll be interested to see how it is to work with. Sorry for rambling, but I find this deck exciting - it's like a whole new world to explore!

barefootlife

I think this deck tried to be too many things at once, and therefore didn't succeed wholly at any of them. That said, I like it a lot as a mixed oracle. It seems to have more to say in the meanings of the constellations than it does when tied to the RWS, and I'm okay with that.

There seems to be a trend in super slippery decks (tarot of the crone, wooden, tarot of bones, etc), and I don't love that, but the gilding and lush coloring makes up for it.

If you're looking for an RWS-style tarot based on astronomy, this is the wrong place to look. If you're looking for divination based on astronomy and also some pretty, it's a good place. For me, a good deck.

katyanne

To be fair, they explicitly state up front that they only process orders on Sundays. Personally I think that's ridiculous but if they want to be known as being slower than molasses then that's their problem.

I like the deck except it has different meanings for The High Priestess and probably other cards but I noticed The High Priestess because that is my favorite card and I always notice it. I mean, they changed the meaning completely. I go with the traditional meaning though so whatever.