Playing Card Oracles - Alchemy vs Conventional one

MareSaturni

Hi everyone.

I have been using Ana Cortez's Playing Card Oracle system for almost 10 years now and it's certainly my favourite divination method along with the Tarot. I've been using it in professional readings with great success.

I purchased the Alchemy edition when it came out and read the book that was published around that time, and while I find it gorgeous and can't take my eyes off it... I still seem to read better with the conventional PCO. I really don't know why... The Alchemy is beautiful and has powerful imagery, but I feel that the first deck simply gels better with the system. I can't help but feel that, overall, they are way too different decks to be considered a single system.

I was wondering if anyone feels the same or if I'm just a stubborn silly person, lol. I might have to offer some readings here with the Alchemy, to see if I wrap my head around it.

Thanks for reading!

Lee

Hi MareSaturni,

I don't have the Alchemy edition, but I remember, at the time it came out, reading that it apparently uses artwork that was done before the artwork for the standard edition. In other words, the standard edition represents a further development, whereas the Alchemy images are from an earlier stage of evolution. That being the case, it would make sense that the standard edition seems to work better with the system as laid out in the book than the earlier Alchemy images.

MareSaturni

Hi MareSaturni,

I don't have the Alchemy edition, but I remember, at the time it came out, reading that it apparently uses artwork that was done before the artwork for the standard edition. In other words, the standard edition represents a further development, whereas the Alchemy images are from an earlier stage of evolution. That being the case, it would make sense that the standard edition seems to work better with the system as laid out in the book than the earlier Alchemy images.

That's true, it indeed is an earlier version. Maybe that's why it seems to me that the conventional PCO fits the system better. Not to mention that, in the Alchemy edition, some cards became others (ie the Lady of Diamonds Tendra became the 3 of Diamonds, and was replaced by another Lady). It feels a bit broken to me.

I know the deck is readable but it feels like a different oracle altogether... :-/ And it frustrates me because it's beautiful and I really want to love it...

Lee

My apologies MareSaturni, I didn't remember/recognize you from years ago -- just wanted to say hi and glad to see you! :) Hope to see you around. I'm getting back into the Playing Card Oracles, so I could certainly use your voice of experience!

MareSaturni

My apologies MareSaturni, I didn't remember/recognize you from years ago -- just wanted to say hi and glad to see you! :) Hope to see you around. I'm getting back into the Playing Card Oracles, so I could certainly use your voice of experience!

Hi Lee! Well I didn't expect anyone to recognise me, I'm honoured you have. :) I am ready to resume my oracular studies and contributions, especially concerning the PCO which I still love very much!

Nica

There is a new art PCO coming out! It is on Kickstarter!

"Kingdom of Outcasts, Art Playing Cards by CJ Freeman"

Lee

There is a new art PCO coming out! It is on Kickstarter!

"Kingdom of Outcasts, Art Playing Cards by CJ Freeman"

Thanks for the info Nica!

Here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-art-playing-cards-by-cj-freema?ref=discovery

We should note that on that page there is the following text:
WARNING: Not intended for divination! Although previous versions of CJ Freeman's decks were intended to facilitate card reading, the "Kingdom of Outcasts" is designed as an ART FOCUSED deck, and is not for use with the Playing Card Oracle System.

garmonbozia

Yikes! That's a bit pricey for a 54-card deck not meant for divination.