Discussion Thread for: The Making of a New AT Collab Deck

tarotbear

Oh ~ another thought ~

Since there is no 'theme' to this next deck - will there be 'traditional' names for the Majors or for the Suits? Example: using 'The Geek' instead of 'The Magician' or the '10 of Cafeteria Trays' instead of '10 Pentacles'? If all the people doing the Wands have Wands or Batons or Staves, etc ... will the 'Eight of Fried Bacon Strips' fit in? })

wooden-eye

Sorry to be chiming in again, especially since you are all probably asleep.
I agree the technical stuff should be decided upon very early, especially the card ratios or rather dimensions. Many of our non-digital artists will need to work on larger images and shrink them down if printing should become an option.

Another thing to consider is card borders and titles.

Will all images have one uniform border and title ? To be added at the end to all the artwork?

Alternatively, Could the cards be "Borderless"? A very popular option, requiring a few considerations when making the images, eg the placing of all important elements well away from the edges and adding on extra for bleed and cut.. Oh and incorporating the card title into the image. This might seem like a trickier option, but would actually mean that no one person has to format all of the images with titles and borders, which some will know takes hours and hours!

I would vote for Borderless.

I am happy to be available to answer any of those kind of questions. I made Bonefire last year and did pretty much everything the wrong way around, so please do learn from my stuff ups.

Gulliver

Sorry, I only will be able to answer (PM too) in 12 hours.

Marirowana is in my time zone, Flames I don't know. If you want, you both could here answer. The last 2 posts have to be answered. (Good points, TB & WE!) Later more.

Wanted: We are in need of three other members for the team!!

Marirowana

Comment from Grouchy TB - flipping back and forth between the two threads just now already has people posting something in one or the other. Suggestion - Thread that lists who is doing which card/cards be ONLY for that - locked down if necessary - and ALL discussions about ins-and-outs be conducted here instead ... :)

Thanks tarotbear, and please keep commenting ;) good idea. Gulliver, maybe you could change the first post in both threads to make even more clear that this thread is for discussions only, and the other one for signing up for a card only?

tarotbear said:
Was just bounced out and came back in - WAIT - the discussion thread is in one forum and the creation thread is in another forum? Won't that get confusing?

Just let me know how you want the thread or threads arranged, and I'll set it up for you.

Alta

Alta, could you please move this thread to the Creation forum as well? I agree that it would be more clear. Thank you :)

Marirowana

Thank you wooden-eye and tarotbear, those are great points for some thought. I will dive into it, especially in the sizes.

To the others, what are your ideas about:
-traditional names for the cards
-uniform borders or no borders
-uniform title style, or should everyone write their own title?

I vote for titles that we set up in advance, rather than ending up with that 'Eight Fried Bacon Sticks' ;), uniform title style but no borders.

Flames

We're not in the same time zone. I live in Canada. :) I should be asleep now!!

I'm leaning more towards the Borderless and incorporating the title of the card into the image, that way, as wooden-eye points out, not one person would be responsible for formatting all of the images with borders and titles. Nonetheless, I feel that it's important to unify the deck in some way...

What did you envision for this deck? Do you want it to be completely heterogeneous? Unified only by the fact that it's made by the "Aeclectic Tarot Collective"? I like that, too! And, it could be both revelatory and a lot of fun. There has to be an acceptance of the differences between each creator. Maybe we could have a booklet...Each person would have to provide a brief summary and description of their card (as in the little booklet that accompanies most tarot decks), so if one conceives the card as "Eight of Fried Bacon Strips",:) then provide a few lines for the meaning of that card, and in this way, the deck would be eminently readable, though diverse, and hence, unified as a truly "(a)eclectic" deck. Whether someone chooses to use a traditional name or not for their card, is completely up to them. Just some thoughts.

daphne

Thank you wooden-eye and tarotbear, those are great points for some thought. I will dive into it, especially in the sizes.

To the others, what are your ideas about:
-traditional names for the cards
-uniform borders or no borders
-uniform title style, or should everyone write their own title?

I vote for titles that we set up in advance, rather than ending up with that 'Eight Fried Bacon Sticks' ;), uniform title style but no borders.

I vote for titles set up in advanced. Otherwise we can have an extreme case when pentacles will be named in 14 different ways, from aces to kings. This deck will not be usable as tarot with such Babylonian-name-diversity inside each suit. Maybe as an oracle, but I dont do oracles.

I have a suggestion for borders. Because the art will be so different from one card to another, I think having unifying colored-code borders per suit would be nice in a spread. I always wished the common decks I have (with 78 artists for each of the 78 cards) would have this kind of homogeneous borders through a suit, easier to get the bigger picture in a spread. I mean something like blue for cups, yellow for swords, green pentacles, red wands and some other color on majors.

Also uniform titles, but this does not mean that the artist cannot write his own title inside the card in the way he likes.

blue_fusion

I suggest that there be a fixed card template - so that the layout, text etc are uniform.

I also suggest that we use card dimensions which are more or less compatible with what can be printed by, well, card printers. I know it hasn't been decided if the deck will be printed or will just be available in online form, but it wouldn't hurt to have them in "printers'" size.

Also, from my experience in working with other collaborative tarot projects (here and in another forum), "commercializing" the deck, or earning a profit from the project seems to be a no-no... And, not everyone might want their work to be available in an app, or something of the sort. Some might just want their work available to those who participated in the project. Best to sort out issues like that early on.

dancing_moon

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll still try to make photos and then we'll see...

Do you have something like a FedEx store in the Ukraine? That is where I go anytime I want to scan something.

Maybe, they do - in bigger cities, alas. :(

You could work with a computer art programme like Paint or even "paint" in Photoshop or something like that ?

I'll try that, thanks, though painting with a mouse is... a bit more challenging for me. :D

reall

just to suggest moderator to open one closed theme where would be posted rules and list of cards with assigned person?:)))
so everyone can check what cards are free before sign up? ;)))

and before start suits names definitely must be decided!^^ ;)))

as for titles every artist should decide to write it on cards or not!^^ imo is best to design cards first and add titles later!^^ at least that's easy in digital!^^ ;))

same for borders except we should be warned about if some printer have predeclared borderlines!^^ ;)))

btw I m in and would like to do lovers, justice and cup page and queen!^^(if needed ill do more!^^ ;)))
and will start when i get template /img size info!^^ ;)))
as expected everyone should write short desc for its card design?:)))
(LWB may be offered for free in pdf?!^^ ;))))
and maybe it would not be bad idea for same cards to have double design?:))
that should not be a problem in app or if we ofter it for free print?:)))