Lenormand Recommendations

LouiseD

Hi there,

I'm thinking of adding a Lenormand deck to my collection and I was wondering if someone could recommend any specific editions? I've seen A LOT of versions online but it's hard to tell without seeing the cards and having honest opinions from fellow readers.

I like to read in an intuitive manner and I would like cards that are true to the original spirit of the Lenormand reading technique (no goth or fairy adaptations).

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Aeric

Any of the "Colored" Owl backs have traditional European-style imagery.

I would suggest one that doesn't have the poems since they're so restrictive in meaning sometimes. That means avoiding the MGM Blue Owl, Red, and Pink Owl, but if you like the poems then go for one.

I recommend the White Owl since it's available and has no poems but the playing cards.

Besides a traditional Lenormand, I also suggest Robert Place's excellent Burning Serpent Oracle, and Pixie's Lenormand for the imagery done using RWS designs.

illyria

I'm partial to the Game of Hope Lenormand and Le Fanu's Destroyed Dondorf by AT's own Tag_jorrit. And the Malpertuis and Lothrop Lenormand by Neil Lovell. Oh, and Pixie's Astounding Lenormand by Edmund Zebrowski. The last one comes in a tin!

Darkmage

There's also the Piatnik. It's probably my fave out of all the 'classical' decks--and the box illustration is a riot.

Book Depository has it for less than $10 IIRC.

Aster Breo

IMO, the absolute best place to find historic Lenormand decks is Tag's shop, as someone has said: http://gameofhopelenormand.bigcartel.com/

Pretty much any of those Lenormand decks would be a good place to start (except the Nielen, which is a Lenormand variation and doesn't follow the traditional symbols or order, so wouldn't be a good first deck).

I also strongly second the recommendation of the Piatnik, which is a beautiful deck. That one is still in print and easily available (Amazon carries it), and it's pretty inexpensive. So that would be a good starter deck.

Here's a blog post about choosing your first Lenormand deck, with some good points to consider: http://www.divinewhispers.net/apps/blog/show/20013417-choosing-your-first-lenormand-deck

Cocobird55

Another recommendation for the Piatnik.

reall

There's also the Piatnik. It's probably my fave out of all the 'classical' decks--and the box illustration is a riot.

Book Depository has it for less than $10 IIRC.
Piatnik is my fav clasic!:)) and blue owl! just ask for those without verses and playing card insertions!:)

and best ever is Gilded Lenomand by CM!:)

and there is my Chakra Lenormand!:) it's made in classic style!

and my friend ordered Celtic Lenormand!:) and it looks interesting even with extra cards!:)

Tag_jorrit

Hi there,

I'm thinking of adding a Lenormand deck to my collection and I was wondering if someone could recommend any specific editions? I've seen A LOT of versions online but it's hard to tell without seeing the cards and having honest opinions from fellow readers.

I like to read in an intuitive manner and I would like cards that are true to the original spirit of the Lenormand reading technique (no goth or fairy adaptations).

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

If you are interested in traditional Lenormand cards, that is ones that were created before the Lenormand craze that began some time around 2010, then you can find inexpensive ones at the Book Depository -- Blue, Red and White Owl, Piatnik, French Cartomancy, Original Lenormand. And Pixie's is one of the very best new Lenormand decks.

If you are interested in seeing more obscure antique repros you can try here where you will find 15 more genuine old, c.1860 and later, decks rather than made-to-look-old decks that may have more fanciful illustrations than the originals..

ana luisa

Do consider having a look at the Alone's Vision. It reads really well and it is quite affordable :)

LouiseD

Thanks for all the recommendations! I only seem to find 36 cards decks in English. Is there a version of the "big" Lenormand deck with the 54 cards?

thanks!