Styles of Lenormands you prefer

Miss Divine

Like Le Fanu, I prefer mine simple too.
The traditional ones are the ones I use. I cannot do a GT with a busy deck! They can create new decks all they want, no matter how beautiful and fancy they are, I won't be purchasing them. For me they are eye candy, but useless! Tarot decks on the other hand is another story... But comparing Lenormand with Tarot would be the same as comparing apples with oranges.

shadowdancer

Like Le Fanu, I prefer mine simple too.
The traditional ones are the ones I use. I cannot do a GT with a busy deck! They can create new decks all they want, no matter how beautiful and fancy they are, I won't be purchasing them. For me they are eye candy, but useless! Tarot decks on the other hand is another story... But comparing Lenormand with Tarot would be the same as comparing apples with oranges.

I think you are right... simplicity is the key IMO with Lenormand. But as the number of decks available snowballs (It seems there are new decks virtually daily) I think over time, they may lose some of that simplicity. Or become heavily themed. Am waiting for the first steampunk Lenormand to show itself, or the first Gothic version/Fairytale/Name any other theme. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be easier to create a Lenormand than a tarot deck which will lead to many self published offerings. Some will be terrific, some will be band wagon jumpers looking to cash in, some will be personal projects, some will be in time, perhaps the sought after ones for the modern era of Lenormand. Again nothing wrong with that, but the essence may become diluted.

As a learner I fully understand how the card imagery can make or break a reading. In a small line up of 3 - 7 cards it doesn't matter too much, but a GT? I don't want my eyes hurting. Thus the fact I made up my own deck which comprises of plain silhouettes and a few key phrases. Never to be commercially produced or offered for the obvious reasons, but my brain doesn't become frazzled if I am having to really work at what the spread is telling me. I have not ventured to a GT yet as I haven't seen the need to, but when I do, I want to maintain a clear focus.

Yet you are right about the tarot image. "More" can offer options, different directions, different layers. Something you don't want in Lenormand. The two are different but complimentary. And that is what I am loving about both systems. :)

Attachments

• study silhouettes.JPG
    study silhouettes.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 97

Nina*

I think you are right... simplicity is the key IMO with Lenormand. But as the number of decks available snowballs (It seems there are new decks virtually daily) I think over time, they may lose some of that simplicity. Or become heavily themed. Am waiting for the first steampunk Lenormand to show itself, or the first Gothic version/Fairytale/Name any other theme. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be easier to create a Lenormand than a tarot deck which will lead to many self published offerings. Some will be terrific, some will be band wagon jumpers looking to cash in, some will be personal projects, some will be in time, perhaps the sought after ones for the modern era of Lenormand. Again nothing wrong with that, but the essence may become diluted.

Actually most of the recent ones created are VERY simple so I'm sure most creators do realize this.

shadowdancer

I agree Nina, that is why I think over time it may happen whereby it becomes a little different or more elaborate in design. Think of how the early days tarot may have looked when it was becoming popular and fast forward to now. :) They have become more involved and elaborate in the main. Which works well with tarot.

As I said, not necessarily a bad thing but I reckon you will be able to compare and contrast the early decks and those coming out around now (still early days of the modern era) and those in the forthcoming years. I think there may be a tendancy to dress them up a bit, and that IMO would not work as well for Lenormand. I may be wrong though.

Le Fanu

Actually most of the recent ones created are VERY simple so I'm sure most creators do realize this.
I'm not sure they always do. For example if someone does a Fox, they would naturally do a landcape behind it. In fact, that distracts me. Or an anchor - on a beach - and the beach distracts me. I genuinely like my symbols floating disembodied like in the Gluck Lenormand or the Mertz. I saw a card recently by a very accomplished designer and the Lily was held by a woman. Hell, the woman distracts me. There is an up and coming Celtic Lenormand which has green landscapes and rolling hills in the background, all of which distract me! :D

Keep 'em disembodied!

Lee

I know this has been mentioned before on the forum, but what do folks here think about the upcoming Enchanted Lenormand? (Book by Caitlin Matthews, cards by Virginia Lee, available in November -- only three months!) The artist has posted several pictures here. ETA: If you click on the pictures you can see big versions.

It's a really interesting graphic concept. There's an elaborate border, but the symbol images in the center are very straightforward. The circles around the symbol images make for an interesting effect -- a GT spread would look like rows of round gemstones or Christmas tree ornaments. It gives a remarkable unanimity to the cards -- I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

They've done something interesting with the Cross card (36). Instead of a cross, the picture shows a stony path through mountains which turns into green meadows at the horizon. I guess the stony path is meant to suggest burdens etc. The green at the horizon suggests a happy ending, though. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I think I would rather have my negative cards be totally negative (although in Britta's course the Cross isn't necessarily negative). There's also a suggestion of a bird with outstretched wings, I suppose to supply the visual suggestion of a cross. As a non-Christian myself, I can understand where Caitlin Matthews was going with this, but at the same time I think I prefer the simplicity and directness of an actual cross.

Looks like a beautiful deck though, and I've already pre-ordered. I'm also interested to read what she comes up with for the book.

Nina*

I'm not sure they always do. For example if someone does a Fox, they would naturally do a landcape behind it. In fact, that distracts me. Or an anchor - on a beach - and the beach distracts me. I genuinely like my symbols floating disembodied like in the Gluck Lenormand or the Mertz. I saw a card recently by a very accomplished designer and the Lily was held by a woman. Hell, the woman distracts me. There is an up and coming Celtic Lenormand which has green landscapes and rolling hills in the background, all of which distract me! :D

Keep 'em disembodied!

Well... what you talk about here isn't exactly against tradition, since many of the older (i.e. Piatnik, Blue Owl and others also recommended by ''traditionalists'') decks also have bits of landscape behind certain ''symbols''. What I was talking about is that many of the new creators know they shouldn't put hearts/stars/butterflies etc etc together with the ''symbols'' unless, of course, it IS the Heart or the Stars. I believe, as was my point, many of them respect that.

Nina*

Just got to think....
But Le Fanu.... you also buy Lilac Twilight and other beauties, right?! And I think that is also encouraging some creators to keep creating these beautiful (and not extremely simple) images. Don't you?

Miss Divine

I know this has been mentioned before on the forum, but what do folks here think about the upcoming Enchanted Lenormand? (Book by Caitlin Matthews, cards by Virginia Lee, available in November -- only three months!) The artist has posted several pictures here. ETA: If you click on the pictures you can see big versions.

Well it certainly isn't for me. It's pretty, but that border kills it for me. These kind of decks are fine for small spreads, but for a GT!? ...Good lord!!

Miss Divine

Just got to think....
But Le Fanu.... you also buy Lilac Twilight and other beauties, right?! And I think that is also encouraging some creators to keep creating these beautiful (and not extremely simple) images. Don't you?

He probably only collects those.. :D