Gonna learn Thoth if it kills me - Majors

Aeon418

The Three-in-one can be interpreted as being Lunar/Feminine. The triple left hand flower could indicate the feminine, while the singular right hand flower is the masculine.

Le Fanu

Something which bemuses me (and not connected to the flower); the Fool appears to be holding an upturned Cup, and in the other hand, flames/fire. In the background, there is a bag of discs...

Am I blind, but I cannot see a sword. I was presuming that all the suit symbols are represented...

starlightexp

Le Fanu said:
Something which bemuses me (and not connected to the flower); the Fool appears to be holding an upturned Cup, and in the other hand, flames/fire. In the background, there is a bag of discs...

Am I blind, but I cannot see a sword. I was presuming that all the suit symbols are represented...

mmmm good catch. I'm doing my best bun't can't see it either. I do love all the glyphs on the disks though . . .

cardlady22

I thought the sword was combined with the caduceus into that spiral . . . as in, "this sword ain't straight, or even simply curved"

Alan Ross

Aeon418 said:
The Three-in-one can be interpreted as being Lunar/Feminine. The triple left hand flower could indicate the feminine, while the singular right hand flower is the masculine.
That's really interesting. Snuffin interprets the top rose as a reference to Kether. If the right hand flower represents the masculine and the left hand flower represents the feminine, could this be a reference to the supernal triad: Kether, followed by Chokmah (masculine) on the right and Binah (feminine) on the left?

Le Fanu said:
The Fool is holding fire in his left hand, rather than a wand. Perhaps we're just looking for representations of the four elements, rather than the actual suit symbols. On the other side of The Fool from the bag of coins is a butterfly, a symbol of Air.

Alan Ross

cardlady22 said:
I thought the sword was combined with the caduceus into that spiral . . . as in, "this sword ain't straight, or even simply curved"
I just caught this post after posting myself. Yep, that definitely looks like a sword. Snuffin also alludes to it.

Alan

Le Fanu

I also thought perhaps it was incorporated into the caduceus.. but to be honest, if it is the actual elements - rather than mere suit symbols - which are represented, then the sheer fact that the Fool is so gleefully bouyant would "do" the air theme. And - of course - the butterfly..

Funny, as I thought that it was the Magus who traditionally has all the suit symbols rather than the Fool.

I do love this Fool (even with the piggy snout). You really do get a sense of the grand "opening" of something mindblowing...

Aeon418

Le Fanu said:
Funny, as I thought that it was the Magus who traditionally has all the suit symbols rather than the Fool.
Ah! But the Fool doesn't merely have the symbols. He's actually got the elements.

A flaming pine cone. Water pouring from a cup. He's floating on air. And has a very earthy bunch of grapes. But what has the Magus got? Nothing more than symbols of these things. He's not called the Lord of Illusion for nothing.

The name (symbol) is not the thing named.

Le Fanu

Aeon418 said:
Ah! But the Fool doesn't merely have the symbols. He's actually got the elements.

A flaming pine cone. Water pouring from a cup. He's floating on air. And has a very earthy bunch of grapes. But what has the Magus got? Nothing more than symbols of these things. He's not called the Lord of Illusion for nothing.

The name (symbol) is not the thing named.

Fantastic!

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:

You have reminded me this.

The Chicken Qabalah said:
Ultimately, the Fool is the only real Tarot card. In essence, all the other cards live inside the Fool --just like you and me and all the other components of creation live inside the inscrutable consciouness of Deity.

This gave me my best understanding of the Fool, and also explained why there is much more written about him than the other Trumps in The Book of Thoth.

AW