'Understanding the Tarot Court' Study Group #1

maria42airam

WhiteRaven said:
As a significator I've chosen the Queen of Swords for myself. I used to choose the Queen of Pentacles simply for the physical description and the fact that I am an earth sign (Capricorn)...but the Queen of Swords describes more of my experiences in life so far and how I deal with people. Most people anyway.

I think you are right on time. :)

If I went by physical description and Sun sign (Taurus), I would also be the Queen of Pentacles, but there's no doubt that I belong in the sword family instead. As I mentioned in my post, I would have chosen the Queen by reflex, but when I looked at the Knight and Queen side-by-side, I saw that recently, since I took up the study of Tarot (among other things) I have become more like the Knight. I didn't realize it until I did this exercise!

Lurea

Ever since I first started using Tarot, time after time, deck after deck, has shown 'me' as the Queen of Wands. I knew because I was a Virgo that I was 'supposed' to be the Queen of Pentacles, but that didn't stop the decks. I tried to tell myself I wasn't the hyper, impulsive Queen of Wands, while I was adding a few more activities to my already over-loaded schedule. My cat disagreed. :D Several times I've picked up a brand new deck and shuffled it, only to have the Queen of wands drop out, as if the deck is saying, "I see you! Hi! Nice to meetcha!"

In the last week, I got my natal chart done and discovered I had five fire signs, and three earth signs. :p

Nemesis.. I seem to get along pretty well with Swords and Pentacles types. After all, Wands can be logical at times, and occasionally practical. However, Cups types, especially the Queen of Cups, don't 'get' me at all. And I just don't connect with the way she is sitting there, doing nothing except gazing into a cup.
That's just my impression, though, not meant to upset any Cups people here. :D

CreativeFire

I am glad to see people still joining in this study of the Court cards as I have wanted to work on it for a while but until today have not had the time. :)

Well I found it really difficult to finally decide on my significator card as it was a very close call between the Queen of Swords and the Queen of Wands. In that I have always been drawn to both of these cards and can see in myself personality traits of both quite strongly. The Queen of Wands because I am usually very energetic and enthusiastic with lots of 'creative fire' (pardon the pun ;) ).

However deep down I think I relate more with my life experiences and outlook to the Queen of Swords in that I am usually very direct and open and like to use my mind and intellect to work things out. Also I guess the more 'traditional' representation of this card being a 'divorced woman' fits for me in the past, as well as having a good sense of humour, but more on the dry side, and able to definitely laugh at myself. :) Then on the more physical side having dark hair and also very comfortable with swords / knives being that knife throwing is one of my more obscure hobbies. :laugh: So the Queen of Swords it has to be!

Even though being a Pisces / water sign, the obvious Queen for me would be the Queen of Cups but this is just not really me.

Now for my nemisis - again a toss up between a final two, being Knight of Cups who makes me think of an immature, overly romantic man (apologies to any Knight of Cups out there :eek:). I finally decided on the Knight of Pentacles, as I have difficulties dealing with stubborn, overly cautious types not willing to try new things and reluctant to change.

An interesting exercise, as it was no real surprise to me as to my significator but it was interesting working out my nemisis.

I look forward to joining in the other threads in this court card study group when I get the chance.

CF

Imagemaker

I just found this and will run to catch up. The main reason I love tarot is the opportunities it offers for self-discovery. Lots of treasure to dig out here, I think.

Rather than use a specific deck, I'm evolving a mental deck of qualities that I associate most strongly with each court card, though RWS and Robin Wood images figure strongly in my early tarot training.

For my significator I have to pick the Queen of Wands--I see her as a pro-active creator, quick to move on needs and ideas, impatient with dithering and, of course, a cat lover!

I'm least patient with emotional paralysis, so my nemesis has to be the Knight of Pents. The person I know who is SO like that is the one who drives me totally crazy--unable to make a decision far beyond the last deadline because he's feeling the torment of "what if I choose wrong." Aaargh!

And when I've been emotionally hung-up, I despised my inability to let go . . . movement, even if it's slow, is always better than paralysis.

(A reminder for my old age!)

RedMaple

Imagemaker said:
For my significator I have to pick the Queen of Wands--I see her as a pro-active creator, quick to move on needs and ideas, impatient with dithering and, of course, a cat lover!

And when I've been emotionally hung-up, I despised my inability to let go . . . movement, even if it's slow, is always better than paralysis.

I am using a few different decks, the Morgan Greer, the Goddess, the Golden. In all of these, I would choose the Queen of Wands as significator.

Yes, creative, full of passion and enthusiasm. Also, very nurturing. I love dramatic flowers and cats, too. Also, the color yellow.

Depression has been a problem with me at different times in my life, and it's paralysis is devastating, as you say, Imagemaker. So I see the King of Cups as my nemesis -- uncomfortable with himself, unable to even sit comfortably on his chair. And drowned, overwhelmed by the intensity of that huge sea.

flissgig

I know that this thread is an old one, but I've recently come accross a way of finding significator using numerology.

According to this I'm knight of coins, a card I wouldn't ordinarily have assigned to myself, but on further investigation he's a lot like me (even though I am an oldish girl)

He's moving steadfastly onwards trying to bring spirituality into a material world and making his ethereal side work for him day to day.

He is bringing his dreams together and moving them towards reality, and eventually, when lessons are learned he will succeedd(I hope lol)

I don't see discs as shallow, I see them as a fruition of dreams together with hard work and diligence - be fair all of you lol,

Fay
(Flissgig)

suedeheadsmiths

Court Exercise

Well even though I'm male I use the Queen of Swords for my significator. I suffer from manic depression so I associate with her deep sense of sadness and mourning. I have never gotten along with the King of Swords. He just looks cruel and not liking authority or judgement, he just turns me off. I have the same problem with the Emperor. To be honest the Queen is the only Sword Court card I get along with. The Page seems too sneaky and the Knight seems like he wants to do harm. I really need to get over my hatered of the Sword suit. Whenever I see a Sword card I just cringe.

Chris

GryffinSong

I've just started reading this book and read the first chapter on significators last night. Anyone else interested? Please dive right in!!! :heart:

I’m using the Victoria Regina for this first section. First exercise is to intuitively choose a significator. By process of elimination, which happened quite quickly, I chose the Princess of Wands. She looks thoughtful, artistic, creative, busy. Surrounded by her passions. Dreamy, intuitive, inspired, and yet practical and productive. A writer, a painter, a poet. She’s beautiful in a remote sort of way.

Next I’m to choose my “nemesis” card. The card that seems least like me. I choose the King of Swords. An older man, quiet and still. Fronted by a gun, implying to me a violent nature, forceful and strict. Structure. Formality. Rules. Traditional patriarch. Power over, rather than power with.

Court card beach party. I’m using the Baroque Bohemian Cats for this section. Who makes me feel welcome? Queen of Cups. She looks sweet and elegant and warmly welcoming. She seems friendly, and that she’ll make an effort to help me feel at ease.

Who will I avoid? King of Swords. He looks shifty, and is manipulating a puppet. Seems controlling and bossy and even potentially cruel. Power over. Wants his own way.

Physically attracted to? King of Pentacles. Very handsome, sure of himself, but gentle. Grounded, at peace and at one with his surroundings. He looks like someone I could snuggle up with and talk forever.

Lighthearted? Page of Wands. He looks about to leap for joy, and like he’s about to grin so wide it’ll split his face in two.

Wisdom of understanding? Queen of Pentacles. She looks wise and kind and nurturing. “I will teach you. You are safe with me. Come sit in my parlor and we’ll talk.”

Which card are you? Page of Pentacles. Reading, studying, beginning. Looks calm and intelligent. Settling into a new home and life and future. Reading and studying up on how to succeed at it. Looks more prosperous than he realizes.

Why did I choose the Page? I’m trying to get my body and confidence back. I’m trying to achieve success in my art endeavors. I’m wanting to feel safe, secure, grounded and confident in my path. I want to feel at home. In my body, in my house, and in my career. I feel as if I have a lot to learn, but my heart and mind are opening to these things, and ready to learn and grow in this arena.

I see a lot of pents. This is good, because the pents have a lot to teach me, and I’m ready to learn. I’m happy that I’m drawn to groundedness, to success, to the physical body, fitness, and craftsmanship. This feels like where I need to be right now.

Mythic

What a great thread. I have enjoyed reading everyone's responses.

The clusters around the Queen of Swords, Queen of Cups and King of Pentacles were especially interesting, showing contrasts and groupings within this self-selecting community.

I tried to approach the question of card selection pretending I did not know anything about the interpretive significance of the cards and tried to just look at the images. I used the Kazanlar Tarot.

For my significator, I selected the Knight of Wands. Imagining him sitting on the elephant, his posture and the relaxed way he holds his reigns fit how I feel about myself.

For my nemesis, I was torn between the King and Queen of Coins.

My initial thought was that I should select the card which is least like me, so I picked the Queen of Coins. She is all made up, taking great pleasure in the luxuries she enjoys and seems otherwise passive. The way she holds her arms makes her seem not well connected with herself.

Looking back at the book, I saw that the person should have gifts that we did not have and be someone who, playing their game, could beat us at it. I figured the Queen would be much better at determining which food she was enjoying was the best, since she would have a much more sophisticated pallet for luxuries, but that didn't seem like what was meant. I needed a card that represented a weakness if it was going to defeat me.

The king of Coins seemed more like that. He seems calm and confident, surrounded by the wealth he has amassed. Although he is sitting firmly on the ground, his energy seems a bit more up in his chest (his elbows are up and out). When it comes to having gone out, created material wealth and accumulated it, he has me beat.

In comparing these cards, I have a strong response to the way the bodies are held. This can be seen most clearly in the way the elbows are placed. The Queen has her arms out at angles where they are just attachments for the sake of holding what pleases her, but they are disconnected from her self. As noted with the King, he is not firmly grounded. The Knight does seem stable and even though his arm is out, lightly holding the reign, his elbow hangs down naturally from his shoulder and the reign is held lightly in his hand. He is relaxed and also ready to move efficiently as he needs to in any direction.

Significator: Knight of Wands
Nemesis: King of Coins