The Thoth Book by Crowley

suedeheadsmiths

Hi everyone. I had a question for everyone about the Crowley's Thoth Book. I have the Thoth deck and was wondering if anybody new anything about the book that Crowley had written about it. I'm a student of the Rider Waite Deck, but feel drawn to the Thoth deck. The problem for me is that the little book that came with the deck doesn't tell me much about the meanings. I want to keep it seperate from what I know about the RW deck because it seems that Crowley and Waite had some different ideas about what their respective decks mean. I'd love to know what everyone thinks.

Much Thanks,

Chris

rogue

You should get the real Thoth book instead of toying around with the booklet. If you are serious about tarot, you will stop using the Rider-Waite deck in favor of the Thoth. Waite was a hack. Learn about astrology and the basics of the kabbalah and you'll be in business.

Debra

Chris, a lot of people who use the Thoth deck seem to like the Duquette book, from what I see on the forums:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/understanding-thoth-tarot/

Lately I've been reading "history of tarot" books. It's looking like most of the "greats" of Tarot history were: hacks, charlatans, ill-informed or poorly educated, mystical wanna-bes, dopeheads, power-trippers, psychotic and/or delusional, otherwise weird

... but so what.

For the RWS cards, I didn't get much from Waite's books but have learned more from other authors. Good luck--maybe Lillie will stop by; she seems to be the Thoth Queen!

Debra

PS: Welcome to AT! Hope you enjoy it here!

Rosanne

lampkin said:
You should get the real Thoth book instead of toying around with the booklet. If you are serious about tarot, you will stop using the Rider-Waite deck in favor of the Thoth. Waite was a hack. Learn about astrology and the basics of the kabbalah and you'll be in business.
That is an extremely arrogant, and possibly ignorant thing to say.
Who made you President of Deck usage? Being on a high Horse is a good way of riding for a fall! ~Rosanne

rogue

just "keepin' it real," as good ol' miss cleo likes to say

Rosanne

lampkin said:
just "keepin' it real," as good ol' miss cleo likes to say
Well that's an oxymoronic statement.
To answer your question suedeheadsmith- Maybe a better book to start with might be 'Integral Tarot: Decoding the Essence' by Suzanne Wagner- then read the Book of Thoth. I quite liked also Ziegler's book Mirror of the Soul. I have not read Duquette's book. The Thoth deck is quite beautiful, and one way to understand it, is to look up Projective Synthetic Geometry on the web. I rate books about the decks both RWS and Thoth far higher than the books written by either Crowley or Waite. Neither author seems to me, to be able to get past themselves and their egos. Enjoy your decks! ~Rosanne

rogue

ever try to read the book of black magic? now that is moronic

Alta

Moderator note:

Kindly stick to the discussion, which is "books to use with the Crowley deck". Telling each other off is not on.

Marion
Moderator, Thoth