Opinion On Using Reversals For Thoth

cheekyinchworm

ravenest said:
Sorry cheekyinchworm, I just spent half an hour posting a reply to your last (or so I thought) now I go back on line and my post is ...... ?

I dont know! In some other forum, did I press the wrong button, was I where I thought I was (I always get hassled when the librarian is waiting for me to finish so she can go to lunch ...."We are having lunch soon" she says, so I just took that as an invite 'Oh good, I'm hungry - what are we having ?"..... ah I'll do it again .... but not now - I've had enough of town and want to go home.

Oooooo! I'm just excited that you will at some point be responding to me! Thanks very much! And I'm sorry your post was lost. That's happened to me before, and it's very discouraging to lose 30 minutes or an hours worth of posting all at once.

I was worried that maybe my posts came across as offensive or obnoxious or tiresome (and if they did, I'm sorry). But honestly, I'm only trying to understand.

Although, I have been more than a little discouraged. I seem to have heard a number of negative things about Qabalah and Astrology in regards to the Thoth, and no postive things. I feel like, gosh, why did I waste my money on books about those subjects if they aren't necessary and ultimately won't really help me connect with the Thoth Tarot cards.

I mean, it's OK even if that is true, because I think the subjects have merit for me no matter what their connection (or not) with the Thoth. But still, I was hoping to find some people here who were fired up and excited about those aspects of the Thoth Tarot.

Ah well. Very much looking forward to your post, whenever you get around to making it. Thanks, ravenest!

ravenest

cheekyinchworm said:
Oooooo! I'm just excited that you will at some point be responding to me!
Now I think you're being funny! yep, I've donre it again, I have 4 minutes left at the library and .... I'm gonna print the page, respond at home on disc and download that next time FIRST THING ... I promise.
rainwolf said:
Thanks very much! And I'm sorry your post was lost. That's happened to me before, and it's very discouraging to lose 30 minutes or an hours worth of posting all at once.
Yeah, it's terrible, marion reads them all before they go through: "Nah! Dont like that one ... nah I dont agree with that." Out they go! ;)
rainwolf said:
I was worried that maybe my posts came across as offensive or obnoxious or tiresome (and if they did, I'm sorry). But honestly, I'm only trying to understand.
Oh yeah ,they do, deffinatly! I like offensive and obnoxious actually (but the Moderators dont) but tiresome ... oh dont do that to me!
rainwolf said:
Although, I have been more than a little discouraged. I seem to have heard a number of negative things about Qabalah and Astrology in regards to the Thoth, and no postive things. I feel like, gosh, why did I waste my money on books about those subjects if they aren't necessary and ultimately won't really help me connect with the Thoth Tarot cards.
My missing post says how its okay and you should go ahaead with that, its helpfull at first, its just that after a while when you look deeply enough into it you start to see the hooey cracks ... but keep going, dont let an old cantankerous codger like me put you off.

Annabelle

suedeheadsmiths said:
Hi everyone. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on using reversals for the Thoth deck.
Well . . . why not? It's your deck - you should read with it in what ever way makes you comfortable. If you want to use reversals, do it. There's no rule that says you can't :).

I don't use reversals with the Thoth, and I recognize that it wasn't intended to be used with reversals - but then, I don't use reversals with any deck. Just not my style.

cheekyinchworm

Yeah, it's terrible, marion reads them all before they go through: "Nah! Dont like that one ... nah I dont agree with that." Out they go! :)

Hmmm (scratching head) . . .

You'd think she'd have tossed out my posts, then. Unless . . . Ah yes. That's it. She wanted to send some tedious posts your way. hehe hah ha (evil laughter).

Anyway, thanks, ravenest! I'll try to keep away from tedium and lean toward offensive and obnoxious. And I'll keep on keepin' on with the Qabala and Astrology and maybe at some point I'll see what you were talking about with the hooey cracks and all that.

Lillie

ravenest said:
Yeah, it's terrible, marion reads them all before they go through: "Nah! Dont like that one ... nah I dont agree with that." Out they go! ;)

:D

What fun!

(Just teasing, marion)

rainwolf

Well I think I'm the only one that uses all but the reversals for the Thoth. Maybe similia, but he has probably since fled? I think I should explain each part however--

Reversals--The back of his cards can't be reversed so it biases me. Even so, I use ED's to replace reversals. It's nice to have a deck to go to and read everything right side up.

Astrology--There's a difference here I don't feel was emphasized; you don't use the astrology associations that way you would in a natal chart. They are matched up to compliment the meaning of the card, and I think it provides so much more insight of the fundamental meaning of the card. For instance, the seven of swords is the moon in aquarius. It just makes sense to me.

Qabbalah--Besides being interesting and indepth, they do the same thing as astrology does for me.

ED's: I like these because you can guage every card by two surrounding cards (or more). You can have two (or more) cards supporting it, only one, none (both are neutral), and all the way to two or more cards in disagreement with it. The card is basically telling you how strong or weak its traditional or intuitive keywords and meanings are.

A book that explains how astrology and ED's can be used is Hazel's Tarot Decoded. She really simpllified it and shows how much insight can be shown. One of my fav's.

I don't always use all of these methods though. Sometimes I don't use any. But they always help if im at a loss.

Grigori

Still here, just watching

rainwolf said:
A book that explains how astrology and ED's can be used is Hazel's Tarot Decoded. She really simpllified it and shows how much insight can be shown. One of my fav's.

This is a very useful book, and gives insight into methods to employ some of the groups of correspondances. Though it is based on the Golden Dawn decks, though illustrated with the RWS, so you need to juggle the Kings/Knights and Knights/Princes as she mixed them up (IMO at least, others will disagree with me)

Lillie

I don't use reverals cos Crowley told me not too.

But I don't use ED's either.

I couldn't get a grip on them anymore than I could get a grip on caballah.

I suppose I just get a fel for what the card is saying, wether it is it's good side or it's bad side.
Part of it is to do with the position in the spread, and partly just what seems to make sense to me as I read.

I was joking when I said Caballah is hooey.
I don't suppose it is.
I just could never get a grip on it myself, nor could I ever work out how it fitted in with the tarot.

I suspect it stands up as a system in it's own right, I also suspect it fits the tarot very well for those that understand it (though the way I see it, it fits in which ever way a person chooses to apply it)
But I could never get a grip on it myself.

And in the end I stopped trying, it just confused me.
I was a worse reader when I tried to think about the caballah as well.

ravenest

I am an idiot.

What do I do? I go home, get out the books. go through them, list the refrences, write up a detailed account of what I am on about, quote the proofs, put it all down on floppy disc, book the computer at the library that can read my floppy disc, come into town, go to the library and discover the dI bought the wrong disc ... okay I give up! It's probably not relevent to this discussion anyway.

What I will do however, after the Easter break, is post the info in a new thread on the astrology of the Thoth deck - that might mkae more sense and remove this glitch that's stopping me from getting it together here ... unless it is the secret magical power of the moderator effecting me BEFORE I even post ??????

ravenest

Lillie said:
I don't use reverals cos Crowley told me not too.
Ohhhh?

And I suppose if Crowley told you to jump off a bridge you would? Or if Crowley asked you to be a Tantra slave you would? Or if Crowley said to go on holidays in Mexico and eat magic mushies, or get pulled around India in a gilt carriage, or eat at the best restraunts in London, or snort 1/2 oz of coke, you'd just do that too??? ;)