The Book of Thoth

Aeon418

Formicida said:
I'd say this book isn't necessary if you have a fairly good background in Western Esotericism, or the time/patience/curiosity to work these things out by reading Crowley's other works and lots of other scattered information.
I completely agree. But I suspect that the vast majority of new Thoth users come to the deck with little or no prior knowledge. That's quite a problem when it comes to tackling The Book of Thoth.

Even seasoned readers who are more used to Christian based Tarots may struggle to fully comprehend the big impact that the Thelemic philosophy has on the meaning of the Thoth Tarot. I think Lon's book serves as a useful primer in that regard.

Scion

Aeon418 said:
On all initiatory journeys the hero is nearly always beset by demons tempting him/her to wander from the path of the wise. These demons are called Gerd Ziegler, Hajo Banzhaf, and Angeles Arrien. This evil triad will constantly try to seduce thee and muddle thy mind with New Age clap-trap, mental diarrhoea, and pure fantasy. Beware! :laugh:
Testify!! Oh, but that made me laugh, Aeon... All of the aforementioned devilkins (especially Arrien :mad:) will lead you into a rotten, half-witted thicket of pop psych, supposition, and sometimes out-and-out bullshit.

Maciader, the answer is: YES! The Book of Thoth is a wonderful journey for anyone using CRowley's deck, but for almost any Golden-Dawn-based deck as well. It is a dense, witty, and impatient book that expects you to pull up your own socks, spread your wings, and fly like hell to keep up.

The best thing is: Crowley is a phenomenal writer and he knows his stuff 8 ways from Atziluth. Take a look at the text online, and if it seems confusing or you just can't grok what Crowley is trying to communicate, and it all seems like a steaming tub of gobbledegook... then then the DuQuette book is a must-own because it will ease you into the rich and heady boil of Thelema as it operates in the cards. :D

Aeon418

Scion said:
Testify!! Oh, but that made me laugh, Aeoon... All of the aforementioned devilkins (especially Arrien :mad:) will lead you into a rotten, half-witted thicket of pop psych, supposition, and sometimes out-and-out bullshit.
Lets not forget that new menace, recently spawned from the seething vats of Chrorozon himself ......... P.C. Tarantino and her pile of s..... er book, Tarot for the New Aeon. :rolleyes:

This little excerpt from her book should you tell you all you need to know.
Crowley concentrated wisdom of the Qabalah, alchemy, astrology, and numerology into a finely tuned system for illuminating the magical being within.
So far so good I here you say. But now here's the real kick in the teeth.
While Tarot for the New Aeon respects the original spirit of Crowley's work, it has been crafted to make his timeless illuminations readily accessible to the modern reader.
In other words she's done another Angeles Arrien hatchet job. According to a little blurb at the back of the book, P.C. Tarantino has been studying the writings of Aleister Crowley for 28 years....... hmmmmm.

OMG!!! A flying pig!!! :laugh:

Scion

Lotsa pork in them treetops... :rolleyes:

northsea

maciader said:
Does anyone recommend getting the Book of Thoth (Crowley)? i have the thoth deck and was wondering if i should get that book...

Yes. It's generally a good idea to get the tarot book that's written by the tarot deck's author.

ravenest

I think Mr's Aeon and Scion (thats a plural not an insult) should partake of the hermetic delights of James Wanless ' Thoth New Age Tarot' ... man.

Scion

Been there... *shudder*

Got the belt buckle... *cringe*

No thanks. :bugeyed:

It's not even that Wanless should be ashamed of himself. It's that reading that book, I knew he was ashamed of himself.

Sado

The Book of Thoth is amazing! It really breathes life into the Thoth Tarot! I'm going to try to get a paperback of it soon, I need it on my shelf. :)

Emily

I quite like the Arrien book - it makes a good doorstop. :D