Phantasmagoric 2/8 *9 Coins*

Little Baron

My draw for today is the 9 of Coins - Latex

This is one of the cards that I really like. It seems so serene and you can almost hear the music. It is a very calming card to me. Is this a booth that Latex plays from, or is she just playing from a window of her house. I love her little 'ratty' friend and his musical box. I can so hear that music!

Graham Cameron says of this card -
"Walking through the Earth Coin Villiage, we hear beautiful violin music. The musician is the famous Latex, a woman who is recognised by others for her talent. Latex has achieved material status and her work is appreciated by all the inhabitants.
The Nine of Coins represents a gain in fortune, appreciation from our peers, and success.
Showing off and being egotistical is the reversed meaning"

So, she is famous too. I think this is a kick up the behind for me today. I still havn't done any college work and it is telling me personally that I won't reap the rewards (not necessarily financially) unless I get a move on. I think people will appreciate my work, if I actually get around to doing some!

Best wishes to you all. Look forward to your takes on this one.

Yaboot

darwinia

Stars in Her Eyes

You know Yab, this was one of the cards I disliked--it was on my least fave list because she looks like she has chicken lips, like a classic Disney cartoon. However, I think I'm going to change my mind after we discuss it a bit.

This immediately reminded me of a story in my old Gypsy Folk Tales book (which I discarded years ago to my intense frustration now.) There was a story of a boy who played violin, he was a prodigy who could make people weep, or laugh, or shout when they heard his music. Something happened (had I the *&^% book I could tell you) and he was forbidden to play until the end when someone was sick or dying and he had to reach them with music. It was a wonderful story. Lots of fairy tales are like that--with someone being denied their gift or muse, and then at the end they use it to save someone else. All very nice stories.

Latex--the name itself puzzled me, but then I think of violin music, there is lots of good music, but I have a CD of Nigel Kennedy doing Vivaldi's Four Seasons which I love, and I also saw Nige do it on one of those Prince's Trust gala evenings on TV. So violin music has this ability to "tug on our heartstrings" which gives me the image of rubbery strings being tugged--latex, right? I think THE most poignant I have heard is Ralph Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending--I had to actually put my hand on the window one day to touch the outside, the trees, the sky, while that was playing--so affecting on the high notes. So lonely and free and pretty and I can't even specify what exactly that music engenders in my heart. That's what it was like when the Gypsy boy was playing in the story, just like that.

The other thing I liked about this card was that she is playing from a ticket booth or kiosk in the cobblestone square, which ignites a feeling of opening night anticipation in me. The glory of purchasing your ticket and standing in a line-up all abuzz with happy people; a plush theatre, of walking up the stairs to the balcony, and cushioned stairs with velvet railings, and the ladies all in fancy dresses, and the acoustics of a theatre carrying voices and laughter everywhere. You know you're going to see something special.

The little mouse--is he her accompaniest do you think? He is playing something that looks a tad like a hurdy-gurdy, yes, he is Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man! "Here comes the hurdy-gurdy man..." He's the warm up act of course to bring the crowds in until Latex has an audience. And then she opens the window and her sweet music drifts over the town and leaves people weeping and pretending it's only the sun in their eyes. They leave a coin because if they tried to talk to her they would start to sob and put their hands over their faces and remember the book of Gypsy fairy tales they lost somehow in life.

Latex has stars in her eyes. She knows why you are weeping and she will play it.

Maan

Unlike you Freesaskye i really like Latex. But that has more to do with the fact that i play the violin than with the picture itself ;)

I think Graham did a good job choosing a violin player. My teacher used to tell us that the violin is one of the most difficult instruments to play properly. It takes about a year to get some decent sounds out of that thing.
So its perfectly illustrates the hard work it takes to get there!
Latex play's beautiful and looking at her it seems to go easy and takes not effort at all. But to get at that point she must have studied her fingers sore!

The little mouse illustrates hownice it is tyo enjoy your gain with others. Ands both material as spiritual. To play music with others can be a truly magical experience.

For me the stars in her mask are like looking beyond. If you master your instrument you can finally start enyoing the music you play.

darwinia

Maan said:
For me the stars in her mask are like looking beyond. If you master your instrument you can finally start enyoing the music you play.

Oh Maan, what a lovely, lovely idea.

When I first saw her eyes I thought they looked mask-like (lots of masks in this deck!), but I couldn't decide why she would be wearing a mask, so I thought of stars in her eyes.

But the wonderful imagery of it being a mask for looking beyond is an idea I REALLY like.

Also, you say I don't like Latex, but now that I know her better I do!

Maan

freesiaskye said:
Also, you say I don't like Latex, but now that I know her better I do!

I i'm glad i made you like Latex.

Love
a happy
Maan

BTW does the word Latex means a sort of rubber too in english? Again the dictionary fails me ;)
Otherwise why would she been called after a sort of rubber?

galadrial

I think that I'm in front of Latex, and am the one who has tossed the coins. In the RWS, this card can be about the ability to enjoy the finer things in life. The hooded bird shows that the lower instints are tamed and the pentacles being off the ground show that "higher" quality material things: music, poetry, fine wine, etc., are available.
My son and I had our Nine of Coins day last Sunday. We splurged $100.00 and drove for 3 hours (one way) to see a music concert. It was to be the highlight of his summer break (and I believe it was- we had a blast), when he can nourish himself with soul enriching activities before going back to the daily grind. We've also been enjoying less expensive fare, like listening to Patrick McManus (an outdoorsman humorist; VERY funny) stories on tape- free from the library. Speaking of humor being enriching, I have the sneaking suspicion that mouse is turning the handle of a Jack in the Box and that a bit of levity is about to be introduced before the music makes me weep openly.
So, Yabby, since you are on vacation from school as well, maybe this card is talking more about input than output? You can't get water from a dry well, and all that. And hey, you've already received a lovely poem (along with the rest of us- thanks freesiaskye!). Just a thought; you know best, of course, whether you are Latex or one of her many admirers:)

darwinia

Many Gloves Make Light Work

I just had an odd thought, a popular item made of latex is a condom, I'm wondering if Latex has other successful talents than violin playing? Maybe Graham Cameron is even more humorous than I thought.

I love this deck, the depth, the intuitive depth. Give that man a cigar! Oh well, maybe not.

Maan

Re: Many Gloves Make Light Work

freesiaskye said:
I just had an odd thought, a popular item made of latex is a condom, I'm wondering if Latex has other successful talents than violin playing? Maybe Graham Cameron is even more humorous than I thought.

I love this deck, the depth, the intuitive depth. Give that man a cigar! Oh well, maybe not.

ROLFMAO
Never thought of that!