Thin Cards?

geoxena

I'm new to all this deck-buying. Until I joined this forum, I had used the same one RWS deck since the 80s (US Games). But reading about all of the decks out there got me, and I recently bought four more decks. Three of those are fairly recently published, and one was a vintage deck I found off eBay.

The vintage deck (Neuzeit) is a nice heavy card stock, just like regular playing cards, with a matte finish. ALL the others (Legend Arthurian, Pagan Cats, & Celestial) are quite disappointingly thin. And glossy. I hate the way they handle and now I feel like I am being forced back to using my old RWS, which is awesome in feel and shuffling - but I am sick and tired of the imagery. I was very surprised that the Celestial deck is so thin, since I mistakenly thought that US Games cards must be thick and higher quality like my old RWS is.

Now I am really discouraged about ever buying any more decks again. :(

ana luisa

I agree with you, it is really disappointing... The publishers have actually been thinning their stock on a regular basis. I recently bought the Pictorial Key to tarot and was literally shocked with its thinness. None of my decks are this thin... LS varies as to their card stock. The Fey Tarot, for instance, has a medium stock, a dream deck to shuffle. On the other hand, the Sweet Twilight (also by LS but newer) is too thin for my taste. As to US Games, well, that was a surprise to me too! I have the Spiral (from the same creator of the Celestial) and the card stock is REALLY thick. but, like the LS decks, the Dreaming Way, recently published, is much thinner although you still can handle it with confidence. I guess you have to ask around before taking the plunge. As a rule of thumb, the only publishers who haven´t disappointed me afa stock have been AGMULLER and MAGIC REALISTIC PRESS. Sorry to say but you will have to weigh the pros and cons and decide form there. Llewellyn has very good decks such as the Legacy. Gilded, Bright Ideas, Anna K but the paint usually fades after a month of shuffling... Sign of the times, I guess