Questions about the Gaian Tarot

practical magic

I ordered the Gaian Tarot from a bookstore a few days ago and am impatiently waiting for it to arrive. (I'll admit it - I'm an impatient person :)) I've thought of a few questions I have in the interim, and thought "no time like the present" :)

1) I've heard the mass-market Gaian Tarot (which is the one I ordered) is a thinner deck - are there any special precautions I should take when using it?

2) How big are the cards / how big is the deck? (In other words, what size bag/wrap/cover should I buy? - I've heard it comes in a large box so I may finally order one of the bags/covers I've got on my wish list at Etsy... I'd like to order before the deck arrives though so there's not a lot of delay (in theory) between arrivals.

^ I searched around here for the size of the cards but while I found a few informative posts about this deck, I didn't notice card/deck size.

3) Do any of you belong to the Gaian Tarot Circle? I'm considering but it's pricey... and I don't really know... I'm not the most active person online. I'm really more of an online "loner"...

Any other advice/wisdom you think tarot newbies should know about the Gaian Tarot, please share. :)

Thanks!

Sulis

There are a few older threads about this deck that you may find helpful. I got the mass market edition when if came out and gave it away pretty quickly; I just didn't like it.. It seemed very 'middle class New Age', which just isn't me at all.. I can't honestly remember the size of the cards but I don't think they were especially thin or especially huge.

Here's an older thread about the mass market edition:
Gaian Tarot...the good, the bad, the anything else

rwcarter

I have the cards as being 81 mm x 117 mm. Compared to a mid-90s Rider Waite, I have the Gaian listed as comparable where I list current LoS decks as having thinner card stock.

HTH,
Rodney

WalesWoman

It's a little shorter and a little wider than a standard RWS or LS deck. The card stock is just fine.

practical magic

There are a few older threads about this deck that you may find helpful. I got the mass market edition when if came out and gave it away pretty quickly; I just didn't like it.. It seemed very 'middle class New Age', which just isn't me at all.. I can't honestly remember the size of the cards but I don't think they were especially thin or especially huge.

Here's an older thread about the mass market edition:
Gaian Tarot...the good, the bad, the anything else

Ohmygoodness that thread. It took forever to read, but I kind of do see (nearly) everyone's point. I actually ordered more because I read for a friend of mine on a semi-regular basis, and while I love my Wild Unknown deck, only one card out of the whole thing felt right for reading for her, otherwise it just felt like it was too dark and I felt uncomfortable reading it for her, and she felt uncomfortable with every single image except the felines. Because I didn't see myself ordering a feline-exclusive deck (something that has since changed) I set out to find a deck that had "friendlier" images (lighter in theme), that I could actually stand and after looking through every single deck listed here, I landed on the Gaian deck as being right... maybe because she is a middle class yoga-practicing (?) person, I don't know. I haven't read it for her yet as I just received, and the book is way too fluffy for me (basically, once i was in a salon waiting on my mother, and eavesdropped on this convo a male stylist was having with his client about a very Eckhart Tolle/Wayne Dyer brand of new agey-ness (no offence to anyone) and that's what the book reminds me of with a very Tolle/Dyer-esque brand of feminism thrown in) and I just... I can't. The interpretations are definitely good, and I will probably note them down, but the rest of the book... yeah... I do like the images on the cards, though, and see potential in readings, so I can't wait to break them out for her the next time I read for her (January). :)

I have the cards as being 81 mm x 117 mm. Compared to a mid-90s Rider Waite, I have the Gaian listed as comparable where I list current LoS decks as having thinner card stock.

HTH,
Rodney

Thanks so much! Sadly my case hasn't arrived yet (and why on earth do they come in such a large, cumbersome box that offers the cards 0 protection anyway?) but I'm sure it will in a few days, and your measurement definitely helped. :)

AJ

The Llewellyn boxes are an on going sore spot for most of us.
Surely it doesn't take a rocket scientist to design a better box.