PCS Centennial, deck only version

swedishfish612

I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I read some older threads but didn't see this addressed!

Does the full-size, deck only version of the PCS Centennial have the same cardstock as the deck in the PCS Commemorative set? I want a backup, but I like the cardstock of the one in the Commemorative set. Thanks for any info!

Le Fanu

I'd say it does - someone will say it doesn't.

I just took mine off the shelf and opened and compared. I'd honestly say it does. Nice and thick and weighty and waxy.

swedishfish612

I'd say it does - someone will say it doesn't.

I just took mine off the shelf and opened and compared. I'd honestly say it does. Nice and thick and weighty and waxy.

That's good news; thanks!

Of course the new internal debate is that I just priced them on Amazon, and it's only $3 more for the commemorative set. Why would I not spend just $3 more for all of the extra goodies? lol

agviz

They are ever so slightly different. The set is a little stiffer to shuffle, but I like the colors better. These are really fine differences that probably mean nothing to anyone except kooks like me.

The deck comes with a few extra cards showing some of PCS's artwork, most of which I think is included in the book with the set. (I liked those extra cards enough to frame them.) The book included with the set is wonderful.

daenys

They are ever so slightly different. The set is a little stiffer to shuffle, but I like the colors better. These are really fine differences that probably mean nothing to anyone except kooks like me.

The deck comes with a few extra cards showing some of PCS's artwork, most of which I think is included in the book with the set. (I liked those extra cards enough to frame them.) The book included with the set is wonderful.

'Better'? How are the colours different exactly?

agviz

'Better'? How are the colours different exactly?

I shouldn't have said colors (plural) because it's really just the color of the backs that I like better. The set is a bit brighter/more color saturated, and the deck-only is a bit duller (see attached image; the set is on the left and deck-only on the right). Weird thing is, judging by this image alone I would have thought I'd like the duller back better, but in person I like it a bit more saturated.

The fronts are so subtly different that it's hard for me to notice.

Attachments

• PCS versions.jpg
    PCS versions.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 235

daenys

Thanks for the clarification. You're right the colour is noticeably different. Is it just me or is the back border a bit wonky on the right?

agviz

Thanks for the clarification. You're right the colour is noticeably different. Is it just me or is the back border a bit wonky on the right?

Do you mean in terms of alignment or quality of the line? If you mean alignment, the card on the left seems off-centered ever so slightly. In person, I'm seeing that with both decks, even if it isn't apparent in this image. Regarding line quality, they look the same to me.

daenys

The alignment. It's off-centre as you say, and in the card on the right, it feels like there is a slight anticlockwise rotation, but that may just be a perspective illusion. I'm looking at the length of horizontal whitespace in the top right corner vs the bottom right.

agviz

The alignment. It's off-centre as you say, and in the card on the right, it feels like there is a slight anticlockwise rotation, but that may just be a perspective illusion. I'm looking at the length of horizontal whitespace in the top right corner vs the bottom right.

I see it now that you mention it. Going through some of the cards, I do see some subtle misalignment. I think stuff like that happens with both decks - maybe lots of other decks too once you examine them closely.