Tarot decks inspired by Michael Dummett?

Mabuse

We know how many Tarot decks have different themes these days. I'm curious if anybody knows of any decks inspired by Michael Dummett's writings on the Tarot. I know of one Dummett inspired Tarot deck which I'm not disclosing at this point. ;) I'm just curious if there are others.

gregory

When you say you know of one - is this one that we all know and love and didn't know what inspired it, she asked with interest ? Should I go and look at my decks ? Can you please give a clue, if so, as I do need to do a few other things today !

nisaba

I know of one Dummett inspired Tarot deck which I'm not disclosing at this point. ;) I'm just curious if there are others.
<crafty look> You can't ask for "others" without disclosing the "one", because then people won't answer in fear of naming the one you already know of.

gregory

I do not know of one, but if I have one that is, I would like to know so that I can contemplate this later.

A PM would be fine. I won't tell. Honest !

jema

I don't even get the secrecy, but perhaps I am missing the joke cause I never read any of his books.

Freddie

He has a card image in 'Medieval Scapini'.

Freddie

MareSaturni

I, in my ignorance, didn't even know who Michael Dummett is. So I decided to consult Papa Google about it.

I found the following in Wikipedia. :)

Card games and tarot

Sir Michael Dummett is also an established scholar in the field of card games history, with numerous books and articles to his credit. He is a founding member of the International Playing-Card Society, in whose journal The Playing-Card he regularly publishes opinions, research and reviews of current literature on the subject; he is also a founding member of the Accademia del Tarocchino Bolognese in Bologna. His historical work on the use of the tarot pack in card games - he has said "(t)he fortune telling and occult part of it has never been my principal interest..."- The Game of Tarot: From Ferrara to Salt Lake City, attempted to establish that the invention of Tarot could be set in 15th-century Italy. He laid the foundation for most of the subsequent research on the game of tarot, including exhaustive accounts of the rules of all hitherto known forms of the game.

Dummett's analysis of the historical evidence suggested that fortune-telling and occult interpretations were unknown prior to the 18th century. During most of their recorded history, he wrote, Tarot cards were used to play an extremely popular trick-taking game which is still enjoyed in much of Europe. Dummett showed that the middle of the 18th century saw a great development in the game of Tarot, including a modernized deck with French suit-signs, and without the medieval allegories that interest occultists, along with a growth in Tarot's popularity. "The hundred years between about 1730 and 1830 were the heyday of the game of Tarot; it was played not only in northern Italy, eastern France, Switzerland, Germany and Austro-Hungary, but also in Belgium, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden and even Russia. Not only was it, in these areas, a famous game with many devotees: it was also, during that period, more truly an international game than it had ever been before or than it has ever been since...."

Basically he "discovered" that tarot was a game before it became a fortune-telling tool. Not a Nobel-Prize-deserving achievement in my opinion. But I am curious - maybe he did add more to the tarot culture and I am missing it.

I wish Mabuse would share the information he has if it differs from what has been said above. :)

Freddie

Here it is
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/trionfi/

I happen to be the designer of it so I know it was inspired by Game of Tarot. I didn't want to initially disclose it so as not to look self serving.

The URL is out of date though.
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/trionfi-blue-back-

I was curious as to what extant Dummett's work influenced the creation of any Tarot decks.

Hi Mabuse,

I have read a couple of his books and I wonder if I am correct in saying that he has a very nasty opinion of those who use Tarot for anything spiritual. I don't know if I am understanding him correctly. I do not like people who try to take other peoples dreams away from them and I feel he does this with delight. He is no expert and I do not accept his beliefs concerning the tarot.

Am I misunderstanding him? I can be wrong at times and I know this all too well.

Freddie

Mabuse

Hi Mabuse,

I have read a couple of his books and I wonder if I am correct in saying that he has a very nasty opinion of those who use Tarot for anything spiritual. I don't know if I am understanding him correctly. I do not like people who try to take other peoples dreams away from them and I feel he does this with delight. He is no expert and I do not accept his beliefs concerning the tarot.

Am I misunderstanding him? I can be wrong at times and I know this all too well.

Freddie

To be sure he was critical of the occultist appropriation of the Tarot especially in Game of Tarot and Wicked Pack of Cards. If I understand the nature of his criticism, it is mainly because of how the occultists have persuaded most people into believing that the Tarot was their creation from the beginning. In History of Occult Tarot, however, he seems more charitable to non gaming uses of Tarot.