Tarot Decks And Cards You Only Hear About In Whispers

EmpyreanKnight

Well, since Samhain/Halloween is approaching, I think this thread is very apt.

Are there any tarot decks or cards you only hear about in whispers, which are so rare they may not exist at all, the stuff of urban legends. A shadow second printing of a popular deck for example, cards available only to a very select few, or Tarot used by secret societies that very few outside the circle have chanced upon. Cursed decks, or oracles which may once have existed but all of whose copies have been wiped out.

These "legends" may merely be anecdotal or supernatural, and may involve entire deck/s or specific card/s only. I bet our more seasoned enthusiasts have heard of decks which have piqued their interest, but whose veracity still has to be ascertained. What's important is that the existence of these decks has never been certifiably verified. Otherwise if an actual copy exists it should be posted in a separate thread on ultra-rare decks (which would itself be pretty interesting, huh?)

So, post away guys!

EmpyreanKnight

OK, I'll get the ball rolling. This is rather long, so please bear with me.

See, I'm very much interested in the esoteric and divinatory aspects of the Tarot. Being able to brush back the veils of time to take a glimpse of what the future holds is for me a truly wondrous thing.

I dunno if some A.T.-ers from my country have heard of this. Anyway, in our province (our country has provinces like the U.S. has states, though we're not federal), there is a story about a scion from one of our most prominent families. Being rich, he was nothing but a dissipated dilettante, a bit like your trust fund babies. There's only one thing he was serious about, and that's magic and the occult. There have been many whispers about him, but since wealth can usually buy silence, none can really be verified. Not even the Catholic Church, which still held considerable influence during that time, can touch him.

As he delved deeper into the occult, a mishmash of western traditions and our very own animistic/shamanistic brand of Christianity, he slowly became unhinged. Some say that what he was learning was getting too abysmal and that these forbidden knowledge was never meant to be divulged to any but the most enlightened of men. Others say that he was slowly being possessed by a legion of demons. As he sank deeper and deeper even his family got scared of him. Whereas before they made excellent use of his divinatory gifts for their financial benefit, now they don't quite know what to do with him. They decided that they don't really care what's happening to him, and he can't be allowed to besmirch the family's reputation. So he was locked, along with his tomes and books and grimoires in his room, which was kept dark because he can't stand any light.

Before he expired, he sought to impart all of the knowledge he gleaned. He cut black squares from the voluminous drapes that shrouded his room. In it he inscribed symbols in red and brown, smearing these as he did with his blood and shit. Now these cards may not specifically follow the structure of the Tarot, it may just be an oracle so we don't really know. Anyway in his last week his room was unusually quiet, and the food they prepared for him lay untouched against his door.

So they called a close friend of his, another occultist who hasn't quite gone into the deep end. He came to his room to check if he's still alive. He was dead by then, so when the coast is clear his family swept his room to prepare for his funeral. His friend requested that his occult effects be turned over to him. The family of course wanted nothing to do with any of his stuff, so they agreed. Along the items his friend collected were the square pieces of cloth. These he immediately and personally crafted into a magnificent set of black, red, and gold cards before proceeding to study them.

At this point his fortunes began to rise. And as his wealth rose dizzyingly, his mental health plunged. People said he would always be seen with a lacquer box he guarded fiercely. The help would always see him in his study, looking at the cards and writing, writing, always writing. It seems that the cards held the absolute key to the future, and anything asked of it would be answered with a hundred percent accuracy. But as with everything, any great boon exacts payment in equal measure. One day he just disappeared, along with his box and the great red book he was writing on. None of his possessions have been touched, not even the valuables in his safe.

What happened next was open to conjecture. But the story people most believed was that he found a way to use the cards without having them turn on him. They say that when the cards get "hungry", he would find just the right person to whom he would "lend" the cards. These desperate souls would use it for their own purposes, delighting in all the gifts it bestows. At the most critical moment, the cards would turn on them, feeding on their mental essence until it leaves them a gibbering husk. In the end when the cards have been sated, they would always get their way back to their rightful owner. He would then use them for his purposes, kept safe in his riches, until the next time it grows hungry.

I guess the lesson one can glean from this is that one should be careful of strange decks. So treat your Rider Waite Smiths and Thoths and what-have-you's well. They're your friends, and you don't have to trade your brains to get them to help you. And beware of strangers bearing gifts in black, red, and gold.

Alta

Wow, good story!

Well, that foil enhanced Thoth in another thread probably counts. Even some highly serious collectors here had never heard of it until it was posted her. Probably some special, low copy hand-made decks would fall into this category. Wasn't there one made in a concentration camp and smuggled out?

Thoughtful

What a brilliant story! wish l could add something of similar interest. Hopefully someone here can.

EmpyreanKnight

Well, that foil enhanced Thoth in another thread probably counts. Even some highly serious collectors here had never heard of it until it was posted her. Probably some special, low copy hand-made decks would fall into this category. Wasn't there one made in a concentration camp and smuggled out?

Oh wow, a metal foil Thoth. I'm beginning to develop a serious hankering for these metallic decks. But the deft, luminous pastel art of the Thoth is already beautiful by itself. Adding metal leaves would either lift it to unparalleled artistic glory, or it could fall flat, gilding the lily and all that. In any case, if a deck like that does exist, along with its age it can very well fetch a high price in a Sotheby special.

Now, cards smuggled out of a concentration camp, I think there's an interesting story behind that.

EmpyreanKnight

What a brilliant story! wish l could add something of similar interest. Hopefully someone here can.

Thanks, Thoughtful! That story was a staple in the stories passed around in our village and in the surrounding towns during Holy Week and All Souls' Day back when I was a kid. In retrospect, perhaps there is a veiled warning there by the Church (which still retains a strong moral influence in our rural towns) against the "evils" of divination. You can see how I took a different lesson from that at the end of my story though hehe.

In any case, I lived most of my life in cities. Though most of us have been brought up strictly Catholic, if a friend learns that I'm into cartomancy, nine times out of ten instead of exhorting me to repent for my sins, I would most likely end up with "Hey, how bout you tell me my fortune? Dinner's on me, alright?"

So guys, come on, tell us the tales, the urban legends you've heard. Anything about lost or haunted or apocryphal or doomed cards. It might be as parochial as mine, or silly or scary or bats**t crazy. Admit it, these would be nice to share with your Tarot circle, as you sip your Earl Grey (or coffee, or soda) and nibble on your scones in a drawing room party you set for the coming Halloween.

For the serious collectors, you can share accounts of this elusive unicorn of a deck you keep hearing about. Who knows, some fish might nibble on the line and send you a PM or two. But always, always - caveat emptor.

VGimlet

Wasn't there one made in a concentration camp and smuggled out?

Yes, I've seen pictures of it. Although it was a game-players tarot more than a divining tarot, and some reports say he made it after liberation - but I have also heard he made it in the camp.

I won't link to it as it shows the whole deck, but if you google "concentration camp tarot" there are lots of pictures online.

Debra

The Lombardy Zeroeth deck in Tim Power's book Last Call is dangerous beyond belief.

The concentration camp tarock cards were probably done by Boris Kobe after the war--they show the camp in flames.

rwcarter

gregory's Holy Grail of the Wooden Kashmiri would fall into this category.

Tanga

What a fascinating story EmpyreanKnight (I can just hear the theme tune for Alfred Hitchcock's Twilight zone as I read :). Watched in my childhood.) - thank you so much for sharing it.