Tarot decks that read like oracles

bleuivy

I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread. Talking Tarot? Oracles? It touches on both.

Anyhow, I've recently re-discovered oracles, and I've discovered that in love with them. This morning, as I was going through my Dreaming in Colour Luman Deck, I started thinking. Often on the forums, you see people say something along the lines of "I love this tarot deck, but I use it as an oracle." I suppose this means that the imagery is so non-traditional that it can be read intuitively as an oracle rather than as a tarot deck. I know that with some of the non-traditional decks I have, I use them as oracles and pretty much ignore the number and suit assignment for each card.

Does anyone else do this? What decks do you use?

I'll start a brief list. The decks that come immediately to mind are:

Waking the Wild Spirit (which is organized like a tarot deck, but has different suits and very non-traditional imagery)
Tarot of Metamorphosis
possibly Animals Divine

So...anyone else? What tarot decks do you use like oracles?

a_shikhs

I use the Osho Zen tarot like an oracle deck. I remove two or three cards and read them more as an oracle than tarot.

catlin

- Osho Zen
- New Orleans Voodoo tarot
- Tarot of Isis (it is an oracle, although the first 22 cards could be interpreted as Majors)

bleuivy

I can't believe I didn't think of the Osho Zen! It seems very oracle-like.

Meanwhile, I've just thought of another to add to the list: the Tarot of Transformation. Especially if it were trimmed, which I would almost certainly do if I were to own it. :)

catlin

- Shapeshifter is also pretty oracle like

bleuivy

The Shapeshifter does have a very oracle-like quality to it, doesn't it? Very soft.

Meanwhile, I had never seen the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot before - dunno why - but it's amazing! Based on the images I've found online, it doesn't look much like a traditional tarot. It looks like it has such powerful imagery. I'm not sure I've been able to find any scans of the minors, though. What are they like?

Elven

Hi bleuivy!! :D

I like the Midnight Masquerade Majors - they work realy well.
Sacred Circle is another
Lord of The Rings (both the Taiwanese and the USGames)
Mayan Tarot - is great and I dont have the book anyway :p
Da Vinci Minors
Fantastical Menagerie - Beautiful!

Blessings
Elven x

catlin

The Minors of the NOVT are divided into Santeria, Rada, Petro and Congo, some of the loa families, but different from the pic we know from RW, Thoth or TdM. The Court cards are also renamed: mambo, Hounsi, LaPlace and heck, I forgot the 4th.

bleuivy

Hi Elven,

You know, I had never thought to use just the minors of a deck as an oracle. I like the thought very much, assuming it's the right deck.

The Fantastic Managerie is gorgeous!

Meanwhile: Catlin, thanks for the information on the NOVT. It sounds like a very interesting deck.

This thread has already introduced me to some decks that I feel I'm going to be adding to my wish list very soon. :)

Grizabella

I agree the Waking the Wild Spirit needs to be read more as an oracle than as a tarot deck. And I can see where that would be true of the NOVT, also. Also the Shapeshifter. I'm sure there are many more.