Tarot Decks that are Indicative of Decades of the 20th Century

Umbrae

The Cagliostro, especially if you can find one in the original Italian (50’s & 60’s version appear on eBay from time to time).

Very Nineteen teens. First published in 1912 as Il Destino Svelato dal Tarocco.

raeanne

Hi all,
For me the Thoth has always had the art deco feeling of the roaring '20s or perhaps the '30s. The Cosmic has a bit of the '40s feeling with Clark Gable on one of the cards even though it also has some more recent actors as well.

Grizabella

Victorian Romantic. Didn't the Victorian times extend into the early 20th century? Up to about the 20's, like 1900-1910 at least.

la-luna

The "Tarocco delle Felicita", "Tarocco Storico del Palio di Pistoia", "Il Tarocco di Sissi" and the "Omaggio a Erte" by Folchi have that 1920-1930's feel

morticia monroe

The first one that comes to mind for me is the Mountain Dream Tarot. Very indicative of the late 60's-early 70's culture.

Scion

The Harmonious Tarot makes me thing of the aughts of a century ago, as does the Waite Smith come to think of it. Simple lines and a sort of sentimental looking back like the vibe of the current decade.

The Aquarian is packed with the commercialized me-generation Art Nouveau pastiche of the mid 1970s. The deepest 80s deck I can think of is the Myers Art Nouveau. The 90s are the stumbling block for me, I think because we're too close to have detachment. For the 90s, I think of the explosion of the WWW and the One World stripmall McMonoculture. I'd probably pick all of the soft focus angel decks and multi-culti Shamanism-in-a-can decks that reimagined entire aboriginal cultures as anglos with dark spiral perms.

Chronata

Decks that remind me of the 30's and 40's are...the Secret Tarot, the Thoth, and the Answer Deck Oracle.

And the Londa always makes me think of the 1980's

For the 90's...I think of the World Tree.

greenbeans

Solitaire* said:
Victorian Romantic. Didn't the Victorian times extend into the early 20th century? Up to about the 20's, like 1900-1910 at least.

Yeah. Victoria died in 1901, but the so-called 'long Victorian era' is considered to be 1830-1914ish. I think most of the other MR decks have that 'turn of the century' feel about them, which I like. They feel at home here. (My house and a lot of the buildings round here- and in much of the UK- are also from 1900ish, there was a big building boom then-'cos of the industrial revolution I 'spose.)

sapienza

Scion said:
For the 90s, I think of the explosion of the WWW and the One World stripmall McMonoculture. I'd probably pick all of the soft focus angel decks and multi-culti Shamanism-in-a-can decks that reimagined entire aboriginal cultures as anglos with dark spiral perms.

Interesting take on the 90's. Well said. I agree, I think this was the decade when we packaged up really complex concepts in an attempt to make them available to the masses.....not necessarily a bad thing if done well, but so often it wasn't! There were a lot of poorly executed 'theme' decks of the 90's.

SolSionnach

40s could be the Cosmic Tarot? Lots of movie stars and all...