Decans

Aeon418

Magick was one of a number of spellings common in the Elizabethan period.

They seemed to be pretty fast and loose with spelling back then. In the folios of Marlowe's, Faustus, he spells it with a K. And Shakespeare used "Magicke" in the Tempest. Now that is ugly. :laugh:

It makes for a great store front though. Ye Olde Magicke Shoppe. :laugh:

Bernice

"Magick was one of number of spellings common in the Elizabethan period."
John Dee (?).
Scion: The system of triplicity/cadence and the Decans is actually out of Jyotish
The indian Jyotish system/method has become more popular over the past 20 years or so, there's some interesting online info.

Bee :)

sapienza

That's funny, I generally spell it just 'magic', but I notice in my post above I actually did put a 'k' on the end. Odd, it wasn't intentional. As for the difference and why etc......not my area of expertise by a long shot :)

Aeon418

Bernice said:
John Dee (?).
Yes. Here's an example.
One Mr Edward Talbot cam to my howse, and he being willing and desyrous to see or shew some thing in spirituall practise, would haue had me to haue done some thing therein. And I truely excused myself therein as not in the, vulgarly accownted Magick, neyther studided, or exercised:

thorhammer

Re: Magick/magic

To put it simply and immediately relevantly to the thread - the "K" was added to distinguish ritual magick as the "art and science of causing change to occur . . . " from magic as the sleight of hand, stage performance variety or the kind of parlour entertainers (mediums, telekinetics, and suchlike) so popular in AC's time.

I am enjoying this thread immensely, and may or may not have something to add. I'm just checking on its relevance :D

\m/ Kat

sapienza

Thanks for that Kat. I generally feel way out of my depth in this forum but I'm really enjoying the steep learning curve. :)

Scion

Bernice, you're exactly right about historicity and thorhammer's explnation is the one I would have given.

I only use the "K" to distinguish between magick as an active practice and tradition vs. legerdemain or fantasy novel hocus pocus. :D

And as Aeon says, it's gonna look great when I turn 70 and finally open my "handy-dandy necromancy emporium for the innocent, eager, and incorporeal!" (All major Tarot cards accepted)

Aeon418

This is pure speculation on my part, but I like to see the K as the letter Kaph - KPh. This points to Kteis-Phallos, and one of the main differences between Crowley's Magick and Golden Dawn prudery.

Kaph is the Wheel of Change. Crowley defined magick as the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will.

And it's probably just a coincidence that K happens to be the 11th letter of the alphabet. ;)
11 The great magical number, as uniting the antitheses of 5 and 6 etc. AVD the magic force itself.

Nuit: My number is 11, as all their numbers who are of us.

Scion

Aeon, it's been far too long since I gave voice to my virtual Love for you... Seriously. :) What a great little net of Kaph-factoids. :thumbsup:

Love and Will.

Aeon418

Carry on like that and people will begin to talk. :laugh:

Thanks, Scion. :D