4 of Swords: Truce

Teheuti

Abrac said:
One way to look at it is the swords have been laid down in the interest of some greater good, represented by the "rose." Another option is to imagine four people, all with swords - or as in this day and age - nuclear weapons, pointed at each other waiting to see who blinks first. Maybe a truce is a better option.
Seems very appropriate. Although it could be a stand-off, to me, it's more like an equal and concerted effort to keep a ball (the rose) afloat.

I recently found myself in that kind of situation - where a whole group of people, without needing to communicate anything to each other, each decided to refrain from criticisms (very just ones) in order to support the well-being of the whole. It was a tenuous balance, but it held and, I believe in this situation, served everyone for the best. Still it took some one-pointed concentration and a specific focus of intent to hold the energy. Interesting to look at it as a 4 of Swords situation. And I'm sure it couldn't have lasted very long - but it didn't need to.

Mary

Aeon418

Abrac said:
One way to look at it is the swords have been laid down in the interest of some greater good, represented by the "rose."
I think that's one reason why Crowley wasn't too keen on this card from a Thelemic stand point. It indicates the herd mentality and mob rule.
Abrac said:
Another option is to imagine four people, all with swords - or as in this day and age - nuclear weapons, pointed at each other waiting to see who blinks first. Maybe a truce is a better option.
Sounds like the Cold War. A better option than nuclear war? Yes. A solution no.

The 4 of Swords is like an aircraft holding pattern. It's a temporary measure until you're given clearence to land. :D

Teheuti

Jupiter in Libra makes me think of focusing on "high-minded" reasons and principles with a religious or philosophical base and a high ideal at the center. It's the kind of thing that too many "rugged individualist" voters feared in John Kerry in the previous US election. That is, that he might think too much (considering every angle-the swords) and compromise for an abstract ideal (humanism and pacifism), rather than act decisively in a show of force, and thus would weaken the US.

ravenest

Truce is not peace. Truce is an agreement that, for now, we mutally agree to stop bashing each other - a rest between rounds, as it were.

The issue is not resolved but held in stasis between the 4 elements (differing swords on the cards - although they all have a similar hilt ie. of an elemental sword).

The 2 of swords - peace is the power wielded by the Magician when he utalises his Ace of Swords - THE magical sword. Its power ?
"16. To obtain Magical Power, learn to control thought; admit only those ideas that are in harmony with the end desired, and not every stray and contradictory Idea that presents itself.

17. Fixed thought is a means to an end. Therefore pay attention to the power of silent thought and meditation. The material act is but the outward expression of thy thought, and therefore hath it been said that "the thought of foolishness is sin." Thought is the commencement of action, and if a chance thought can produce much effect, what cannot fixed thought do?

18. Therefore, as hath already been said, Establish thyself firmly in the equilibrium of forces, in the center of the Cross of the Elements ..." Liber Librae. Or to bring Truce establish firmly in the cross of the elemental swords?

The 4, to me, is when we have 'slipped up' or not functioning in the air element as best we could, we need to make a truce with the conflicting forces so a greater peace can be worked upon.

mooiedragon

Aeon418 said:
It's a rose of 49 petals sacred to Venus, symbolic of harmony.

Aaahhh. so it is - that makes much more sense

Aeon418 said:
But they aren't all the same. If you look closely each hilt bears symbols of the 4 elements. Fire, Water, Air, and Earth.

Aaaahh. So they are! Also makes much more sense.

It's interesting to see what everybody has to say about this card, especially in this day and age - with the political hints and such. I pulled it as my daily card a few days ago and thus have a much more personal spin on it. The focus of the swords is on the rose, which is apparently a symbol of harmony. I got the feeling that if I could focus my thoughts to be pure of heart - that's what the card was trying to tell me.

rcb30872

You probably think I am stupid, but when I look at the card, the first thing that pops to mind is "X marks the spot."

But in another way, could be that the situation can be viewed in different perspectives. It could indicate someone who has the ability to not only see their perspective, but others. Since the name of the card is Truce, then that makes sense.

I have no idea why, but I keep thinking of the Knights of the Round Table! Maybe that indicates that a group of people that have the same sort of expertise, but they all bring their views and experiences to the table to come to an agreed plan of action so to speak.

Since the flower has multiple layers, and the tips of the swords are pointed at the centre of the flower, then it might indicate the ability to get to the "heart of the matter." In other words, fix the problem, instead of just treating the symptoms, in a manner of speaking.

chriske

Very intruiging posts. My take on the 4 is that it also represents violent frustration in addition to what has already been said. It sits high up on the tree of life, nothing above it but the abyss, in the realm of the demiurge and yet it is unwillingly forced into a position of compromise. This goes against every bit of it's instinct and you can bet that the truce is very temporary. Still, it's a beautiful card, no doubt about it.

rachelcat

Wow, very interesting insights here. And much better put than my musings. But here they are for the record!

4 of Swords—Truce

4=Rule of law, stability, expansion
Swords=mind, thoughts, intellect

Peace of mind
Stable (conventional) ideas

Double Jupiter brings rule of law and conventionality to the fore.

The swords are very stable in their enclosed green cross, not disturbed by the airy, fuzzy (out of focus?) wings/swastikas all around it. Four of the swastikas stand out in more focus and are placed in balanced places, but they are not all that balanced themselves. The swords meet at the point the center of a white rose of 49 petals, the number of social harmony. Snuffin says 49 is 7x7. 7 is the number of Netzach, Venus, so relationships, society. Venus rules Libra, so all is very cosy. Jesus said we should forgive our brothers 70 times 7. (That would be 490 times!) White for purity and green for growth.

The hilts suggest the four elements. They seem to be laid out in the fixed signs order.

I think of 4s as much more positive than others do. Jupiter is expansion and good fortune, therefore they should be good, right? But if you consider that the REAL, higher good is 6, the Sun, the good of the 4s is more a conventional good, like winning is better than losing, and more is better than less. The happiness of the 4s contain the seed of its own destruction through grasping or unawareness of impermanence. I guess that’s why it’s Truce and not true Peace.

Crowley and DuQuette bring out the idea of a Pax Romana—it is only peace caused by the threat of violence and submission to power over others. If someone makes a move against Jupiter, they get blasted by thunderbolts!

And since swords are thoughts/mind/intellect, Crowley points out a meaning of authority, as in academic authority, and students better defer to the professor, or they will fail! But this does lead to a kind of peace of mind: “Minds to indolent or too cowardly to think out their own problems hail joyfully this policy of appeasement.” Remember this was written during WWII, when the phrase “policy of appeasement” was on everyone’s lips as a description of the failed way the rest of Europe tried to deal with Hitler before full-blown world war broke out.

Jupiter in Libra: Ideal is peace and justice. Highly values harmony, beauty, and esthetics. Never wants to commit in decisions, relationships, or ethical matters. Wants happiness without doing anything to achieve it. (Asking what your country can do for you? Very plebian, low-minded way of thinking and living.)

In a reading: You will have a quiet time and some peace of mind. But that may be because you are going along with what others tell you to do just to keep the peace. You should relax and recuperate because the quiet will not last forever, but then nothing ever does!