Orgy of buying new decks

seedcake

Waiting for two decks to arrive... I started to collect and even a year not passed since my very first deck! With two new ones I'm going to own fourteen decks. A bit too short period of time. I was hoping that after my new purchase, I'll stop for a while. But no, it's time to get original RWS or maybe Marseille Cat Tarot or Universa Fantasy Tarot or Deviant Moon or... list is not too long but each week I can find something new to buy.

Ica'rus

Waiting for two decks to arrive... I started to collect and even a year not passed since my very first deck! With two new ones I'm going to own fourteen decks. A bit too short period of time. I was hoping that after my new purchase, I'll stop for a while. But no, it's time to get original RWS or maybe Marseille Cat Tarot or Universa Fantasy Tarot or Deviant Moon or... list is not too long but each week I can find something new to buy.

Oh Seedcake, I feel your pain.. I have 7 decks already =( I just got the Steampunk Tarot the other day, and am on the lookout for 2 OOP decks (Via and Rohrig). Then a dozen more that are wishlisted. Thankfully out of the hundreds of decks I have seen on the AT Deck lists, I think theres only about a total of 20 that I want. Which is certainly quite a lot.

I have always been a voracious card collector. My Pokemon addiction when I was a kid was quite bad, and then my Magic the Gathering collection I started this year.... :/ I need to learn restraint lol.

seedcake

Oh Seedcake, I feel your pain.. I have 7 decks already =( I just got the Steampunk Tarot the other day, and am on the lookout for 2 OOP decks (Via and Rohrig). Then a dozen more that are wishlisted. Thankfully out of the hundreds of decks I have seen on the AT Deck lists, I think theres only about a total of 20 that I want. Which is certainly quite a lot.

I have always been a voracious card collector. My Pokemon addiction when I was a kid was quite bad, and then my Magic the Gathering collection I started this year.... :/ I need to learn restraint lol.

I plan to not count my wishlist. But today I added fresh new decks to it. Not good, not good ;)

Sherilyn G

I am coming here to beg for help. I have indulged myself with an absolute orgy of buying new decks. It has to stop. Some of the decks have been disappointing but I don't seem to learn. I have two great decks that I use all the time - why do i feel the need to collect more?

I am waiting for a couple more to thud onto the doormat - I can't even remember what one of them is!!!! Can anyone identify with this?

Helpful and amusing anecdotes required and some wise words of restraint please ;)

edit: oops, sorry moderator I should have known to put this here - sorry. < Goes to get another cup off coffee and tries to wake up !! >

OMG! We need to start a self-help group for compulsive tarot deck collectors!

Just when I think my "must haves" list is getting shorter... I see something else that has to be added, and I just can't stop the list from growing. It's out of control!

I had to make a law that I cannot purchase more than 1 deck each month. So then, I purchased one at the end of one month and one at the start of the next so that I can have two in one week. :D

I do find it helps to sift through my collection of dust collecting decks... cause I usually manage to find something that, temporarily, distracts me so that I can put off a purchase for a few more weeks. Like one that I haven't studied yet but couldn't wait to get.

I suspect the cause is a combination of being creative and easily bored. Maybe I need to start studying astrology for a while...

JoLister

My name is Jo & I'm a tarotholic.
Whether you read professionally, or purely for yourself/friends you can only use 1 or 2 decks at a time, as you get to know your 'reading' cards you will probably read with others less.
I love Chimera68's comment about calories!
I have over 200 decks & more on their way, pre-ordered & Kickstartered! I have 20+ on my Amazon wish list - these are the ones I convince myself I can wait for, I don't buy them straight away, which shows restraint, if I can exercise restraint with those decks then the others I must really want...need! So I deserve them. They are my treat, plus chocolate.
I only read with 2 specific decks for my clients, I may occasionally read with another deck for myself. I'm a collector, some decks I open, look at once, don't even shuffle & put them on the overflowing shelf. I have to remind myself to look at them again, maybe even do a reading with them... That, I guess, does make me a hoarder.
I did stop for a few years, after being made redundant & deciding to become self employed. I got rid of the credit card then, never replaced it. I had no idea at the time that some decks might go up in value - there's some justification in that, surely? So, I decided I could afford to treat myself, reward myself, I did make a decision to only buy tarot - no oracle or lenormand decks, so I don't even look at them, again with the restraint! As long as you don't 'go without' anything, bills & food on the table always come first & you don't collect/hoard lots of other things then don't worry, there is such diversity out there - it's good to explore..

Disa

As silly as this sounds ... I think I am 'past' the point of having an 'orgy of buying~anything' much less Tarot decks. I mostly think about downsizing and how to make a buck getting rid of things ... and that includes many of the decks I already own ... not to be replaced with new ones! :laugh:

Yeah. I thought I was past it, too.

I had for the past few years just bought one or two decks and "made a law" that I would only buy a deck with money I earned from reading. Had a few old decks on my wishlist, and didn't bother with them. Then SevenStars came along and starting making decks I couldn't resist. My slow attempt at deciding to get rid of things was working okay then MoonGypsy traded me two Lenormands(which I don't even know how to read). I found them so fascinating I started buying Lenormands and books so now I HAVE to learn to read them. They have the same draw Tarot did-something about unlocking the mystery and not being one upped by a deck of cards get me every time. I was the same way with computers, didn't understand, didn't want to until I decided no machine was going to get the best of me-only difference is, luckily I don't have the urge to collect computers, and decks are WAY cheaper :) Problem is, the SevenStars buying and the Lenormand buying triggered some crazy need to buy those things on my wishlist that had been sitting for years, too...Morgan Greer, Robin Wood, Hermetic...justified by "Every" tarot reader should have these "classics"....So now, I have two Lenormands on the way and THAT'S IT! I'm done. Law back in place...ONLY decks I pay for with money earned from Tarot. (Unless next year some cool Halloween decks come out that I really have to have :p)