DECK OF THE MONTH: OCTOBER

cSpaceDiva

I'm going to continue working with the Mary-el. I'm currently doing an IDS with it and posting over in the study group forum.

conurelover

If it is not too late I would like to join this month and work on the Mary-El. I may not post too much though because of time issues. Thank you Merissa for doing this.

2_Journey

I am going to commit to using only the chrysalis deck this month. I really want to get to know it. I love the introspective nature of the minors, ut I am finding the troupe / court cards a little harder to deal with. So I am hoping that a solid month of work with it will help me love it even more.

Super interested to hear how your month with the Chrysalis goes. I've ordered it but won't get my hands on it until December. I'm hoping to do an intensive study of it in January/February.

BrownBear

Super interested to hear how your month with the Chrysalis goes. I've ordered it but won't get my hands on it until December. I'm hoping to do an intensive study of it in January/February.

I love it, even though I have had to throw out most of what I know of RWS to get the most use of it. It is its own system loosely based on RWS. When I tried to use it like an RWS clone it was much more frustrating.I love it though. Very deep.

I will keep you posted.

Rose Lalonde

I'm going to continue working with the Mary-el. I'm currently doing an IDS with it and posting over in the study group forum.

If it is not too late I would like to join this month and work on the Mary-El. I may not post too much though because of time issues. Thank you Merissa for doing this.

The Mary-el majors/aces deck was my first tarot, but although I now have the full deck, I haven't read with it much, so I look forward to your thoughts. I'll check out your IDS, cSpaceDiva...
---

Definitely enjoying the Pierre Madenié. I liked doing the exercises at my links above with the unique Noblet, but I think the Madenié is beautiful, and more than that, the thoughtful expressions make it very congenial. Since I got it, I haven't wanted to read with anything else.

merissa_88

Welcome BrownBear, cSpaceDiva, and welcome back conurelover!

Really interesting decks you have chosen. I've been on the fence about the Chrysalis. I love the ideas in the deck, but am so-so about the art. I will also be interested in BrownBear's experience with reading this deck.

The Mary-El is gorgeous! It is such a great October deck. It's on my "to do" list for DOTM, but just haven't gotten around to it. It's really fun to have two people working with it.

merissa_88

Definitely enjoying the Pierre Madenié. I liked doing the exercises at my links above with the unique Noblet, but I think the Madenié is beautiful, and more than that, the thoughtful expressions make it very congenial. Since I got it, I haven't wanted to read with anything else.

It is a really beautiful Marseilles, and I don't like the Marseilles. It has some of the warmth I like about the Ancient Tarots of Bologna. I'm always impressed when someone says they only want to read with one deck. How long have you been working with it?

merissa_88

Motherpeace Tarot

I have not had much time for tarot this week but I love this deck!

Even the minors tell stories. I drew the 6 of Disks the other day and it is such an amazing image. It is basically a healer working on a person who needs treatment. It is such a wonderful expression of giving and receiving on the material level. And it breaks the connection to lending or borrowing money that I find in RWS-influenced decks.

The major arcana card I am drawing the most is Strength. It features the goddess Brigid or Bride who I connect with. Plus I love this card and often draw it when using other decks. So far, I am just journaling with this deck but really want to start using the Motherpeace Playbook next week.

Rose Lalonde

It is a really beautiful Marseilles, and I don't like the Marseilles. It has some of the warmth I like about the Ancient Tarots of Bologna. I'm always impressed when someone says they only want to read with one deck. How long have you been working with it?

Yes, I agree that the Bologna is warm, too!

I've only had the Madenié for three weeks. I'd been reading with the Noblet since August, so the move to a different TdM felt like less of switch than it usually would... if that makes sense.

Before this year I read mostly with the Tarot of the Origins and the Mary-el majors/aces for about a decade. I tend to like being deck monogamous(!), but I needed a change this year, and I've been trying out a bunch of different decks and methods, more than doubling my collection. I've definitely felt like a beginner all over again, in the best possible way! :)
Then I started practicing the eye-rhymes method, and it's become such a favorite for me, that I've settled on that for now. Between that method being intended for the TdM (though I think it can work well with other decks) and my love of history, the Madenié fits.

Sadly, the only deck I own out of the ones everyone's reading with here this month is the Mary-el, but I still like to read how other people are getting on with their decks and what works for them! :thumbsup:

I have not had much time for tarot this week but I love this deck!

Even the minors tell stories. I drew the 6 of Disks the other day and it is such an amazing image. It is basically a healer working on a person who needs treatment. It is such a wonderful expression of giving and receiving on the material level. And it breaks the connection to lending or borrowing money that I find in RWS-influenced decks...

I like that 6! I like the idea of an abundant 'more than enough to share' feeling for that card without making it so much about money in particular. Sharing talents, energy, care, etc... More personal.

conurelover

Mary-El Tarot

Week 1

This deck is beautiful. I struggled with this deck last year and put it away. I never liked to read with decks that didn't have plain pips. Also, for the past 6 months I have been reading Lenormands exclusively. Also, in the past I journal my deck study and haven't yet had time.

In Lenormands, the Fish means something, the Key means something else, the Path means this or that, etc.,...what I am saying is, that, in the Mary-El there is no cut and dry meaning each time you lay down a card before you. Each time I look at a card again after having looked at it yesterday I see something else I didn't see the day before. For instance, maybe it is words written in the ray of sun on the Sun card, or it is symbol on a Knight's chest, or a face in the bark of the tree. Or like the beautiful 8 of Cups, which bears no similar type meaning or image similar to that of the RWS deck, this morning I see a bright white 8 pointed star on the forearm of the girl in the warm protected lion's cloak.

At first I thought I would read with this deck and look at the excellent book that came with the deck only if I needed to. I have been doing simple spreads with the deck (which have been wonderfully accurate) and been reading it as I felt I would an oracle save for the meanings of the Major Arcana. I am not sure I can do this with the Pages/Knights though.

I cheated though and had to look at the book for this 8 of cups. The lion cloak mirrors the lion in traditional VIII Strength. Makes sense now.

I see in the ID study forum they use the book. I will use the book from now on.

Also, I love the tens in this deck. They are all riding. I love the aces. They are all winged...maybe birds, spirits, angels...I love them.

Also, a lot of the even numbered cards, you really see they are almost, what is the word, they show a type of duality? Light - dark, north - south. A pillar in the west and a pillar in the east, water-fire, etc.

Oh the green eyes. I almost forgot. There are a lot of green eyes in this deck on a lot of the cards. What is it they say in some cultures, the green eyed are the eyes of the ones that are deceased ancestors?

Now these next two weeks I have more time and don't know if I should study a suit a week or go as they go in the book and study the numbers in chunks.