Secondhand deck stinks of tobacco smoke

3ill.yazi

I don't know what to tell ya; the baking soda worked for me.

Another suggestion might be coffee?

gregory

Baking soda works in my fridge. It smelt. I added the soda - NOT expecting it to work actually. It no longer smelt.

But OK - kitty litter.

chowdmouse

Heat will help volatilize those odiferous compounds more quickly, and get the odor gone faster. The easiest way I have found to do this is to let something sit inside my car with the windows rolled up. As long as I let the windows down for a few minutes on the way home to clear out the air & the odor molecules that have volatilized off the offending object every day, I have no problems with odor transference to my car.

Nemia

Sunshine and baby wipes is my advice.

Wipe them down with non-greasy baby wipes, spread them somewhere where they get light and air, and repeat treatment. It may take weeks.

I cleaned stinky playing cards like that. The next stage would be wiping them down with cotton soaked in eau de toilette. My old Jean Nate body splash has de-stunk some old smoker's books for me :)

New plasticky cards always get the sun and air treatment.

Celtictarot

Am I the only one reading the OP and wondering what their readings must've been like if the reader smoked?

I was lucky and just got a tarot bag and card deck which smelt of incense. I would use the baking soda. What about them little silica bag things you get?

karen0205

Sounds like a lot of trouble and headache over a $20.
Why not sell it in the trading forum to someone who smokes
and add the difference to whatever someone pays for it and
buy a new deck from Amazon.

Atem

Expert Tips

I am actually a bloodhound when it comes to odors, especially chemicals/smoke. I have many tips for removing various smells from various materials.

For something like paper cards, even with a light coating, I would put them in a long plastic box with unscented clay kitty litter for several weeks. They should not be touching and kitty litter on all sides of each card, or flip and rotate.

(After they are fumigated, I would leave the box's lid open for a few days or a week to air out.) I usually keep this type of box out of the way on the garage floor.

The other thing you can do is to spread them out in your garage with your car parked inside for about three weeks or so, until the smell is gone. The petroleum particulates, from the car's tires, oil, gasoline, etc., break down other chemicals. I use this for clothes, too, that have perfume from the department store and formaldehyde from the manufacturer. Make sure each side is fully exposed.

Maybe you can simply wipe them down, depending upon the surface of the card. Natural mint soap, really breaks down chemicals.

There are some great sprays that work for breaking down substances, but I wouldn't use them on a deck of cards.

Best of luck.