Even a bad reading is 75% true...

AriesVirgoAscending

I read where someone said even a bad reading ,as in one that doesn't appear to ring true is still 75% accurate . Lol
I was just wondering what others thought of in terms if accuracy . And how you stay faithful that you were accurate in your reading, while waiting for things to play out and unfold?

Grizabella

I once read somewhere that we shouldn't do what I always do----shuffle and lay out cards just idly or randomly instead of reading them every time as a reading. The supposed reason was, according to the one who wrote it, was that every spread we put out is a reading and that all the stuff that was in it will come to pass, so we need to only do a spread if we're doing a "real" reading. Boy, do I ever have some things coming to pass then! :p

We just have to remember that just because something is written in a book or article doesn't make it true. It's still someone's opinion of what the truth of a matter is. Like card meanings---what you read as card meanings is someone else's idea what a card means, and sometimes (lots of the time, I'm sure) they're just repeating what everyone else said. So I don't know about 75% of a bad reading being true----it may or may not be.

I used to wonder why people used past, present, future spreads when it's the future most people are wondering about. Well, one of the reason we do that is so that we can kind of gauge our success with reading what the cards are saying. If we get the past and present right, then chances are high that we're going to be right about the future, too. So, if you put out 4 cards, let's say, and three of the positions included cards about the past and present and you got those right, then 75% of the reading would be true.

All that is probably not very helpful.

Maybe 75% of it's helpful? lol :p

AriesVirgoAscending

I once read somewhere that we shouldn't do what I always do----shuffle and lay out cards just idly or randomly instead of reading them every time as a reading. The supposed reason was, according to the one who wrote it, was that every spread we put out is a reading and that all the stuff that was in it will come to pass, so we need to only do a spread if we're doing a "real" reading. Boy, do I ever have some things coming to pass then! :p

We just have to remember that just because something is written in a book or article doesn't make it true. It's still someone's opinion of what the truth of a matter is. Like card meanings---what you read as card meanings is someone else's idea what a card means, and sometimes (lots of the time, I'm sure) they're just repeating what everyone else said. So I don't know about 75% of a bad reading being true----it may or may not be.

I used to wonder why people used past, present, future spreads when it's the future most people are wondering about. Well, one of the reason we do that is so that we can kind of gauge our success with reading what the cards are saying. If we get the past and present right, then chances are high that we're going to be right about the future, too. So, if you put out 4 cards, let's say, and three of the positions included cards about the past and present and you got those right, then 75% of the reading would be true.

All that is probably not very helpful.

Maybe 75% of it's helpful? lol :p

Lol. That's funny.
I struggle with waiting for things to come to pass. I'm not sure if it's a faith issue or lack of patience ! Probably both. I am an Aries with Virgo rising. I'm at odds with myself . Lol.

Tiana

Hee, I look at the whole 'idly flipping out a card or two' as deck smalltalk. I mean, if I'm talking to my mother, say... sometimes we're going to talk about pie, and sometimes we're going to talk about Really Serious Things. If I say, "hey, what's up" she might answer with either; if I say "hey, check out this awesome pie", she'll probably be like "mmm, ace of noms", and if I'm like "I'm getting married, what do you think?" she'd probably not be like "noms".

Ultimately, cards are bits of paper; it's the meaning we attribute to them that gives them power. I look at them as a window into the soul. If a reading is horrible and wrong, then there is your answer, it gave you the keys to say "I know that this is not true."

Of course then there's the theory that the person who's reading might draw their own cards if their own issue is coming so heavily forward. (shrug) So things like that can sway a result, eh? What if only 75% of the cards you draw are your own?

LeFou

There are many old folktales about fortune-telling. Do's and don'ts, cautionary tales, etc.

Take a folktale for what it is -- a scary and entertaining story which conceals a kernel of wisdom. If you can unpack the story and discover its hidden truth, it's done its job. Even if it merely scares people, it has also done its job (because it will be remembered and retold, eventually finding its way to someone who can understand its hidden message).

tarotbear

If it's 75% true .... what makes that a 'BAD READING' ? :confused:

GlitterNova

Well, each card has so many nuances that, if you read a spread very broadly, it could really apply to anyone with a degree of accuracy. Of course that is veering into cold reading territory..."I see you are having some financial issues, there is some drama between you and a family member" etc. If one doesn't interpret cards that broadly, I have a hard time believing that even a bad reading is 75% accurate.

AriesVirgoAscending

Hee, I look at the whole 'idly flipping out a card or two' as deck smalltalk. I mean, if I'm talking to my mother, say... sometimes we're going to talk about pie, and sometimes we're going to talk about Really Serious Things. If I say, "hey, what's up" she might answer with either; if I say "hey, check out this awesome pie", she'll probably be like "mmm, ace of noms", and if I'm like "I'm getting married, what do you think?" she'd probably not be like "noms".

Ultimately, cards are bits of paper; it's the meaning we attribute to them that gives them power. I look at them as a window into the soul. If a reading is horrible and wrong, then there is your answer, it gave you the keys to say "I know that this is not true."

Of course then there's the theory that the person who's reading might draw their own cards if their own issue is coming so heavily forward. (shrug) So things like that can sway a result, eh? What if only 75% of the cards you draw are your own?

I can believe that. I know I once pulled 3 cards for a friend and realized they were mine. Lol

It boils down to seeing what I want to see. And getting freaked out that it can't be true. What's that about ?

AriesVirgoAscending

There are many old folktales about fortune-telling. Do's and don'ts, cautionary tales, etc.

Take a folktale for what it is -- a scary and entertaining story which conceals a kernel of wisdom. If you can unpack the story and discover its hidden truth, it's done its job. Even if it merely scares people, it has also done its job (because it will be remembered and retold, eventually finding its way to someone who can understand its hidden message).

Kinda like the Death card.