Which deck to use?

HallowedNight

Now that I'm collecting more decks (I had just one for over a year), I'm finding that I favor one over the others...however, as I get even more, I have a feeling I'll have many that I like a lot. How do you all usually tell which deck to use for a reading? Do you switch out depending on the day? Do you go with your intuition?

Also, do you have sort of...seperate collections? Like decks for reading, decks you got just for the artwork etc.?

The Happy Squirrel

I found that I gravitate towards different decks depending on my mood. A bit like reaching for a particular outfit for that day. I also found that the decks I love the most for the art work aren't necessarily the first ones I reached out to for readings :)

beautifulbooks

Based on my feel for the questioner

Hello ;)

So far, even though I have many decks, I will usually grab my trusty Tarot of Timeless Truth for any reading where someone has questions about family stability and sounds like they need reassurance as this is my favorite for showing hope even in difficulty (I love the tower which shows the burning in the distance but the survivors floating nearby, clinging to logs in a river).

Some like a more slick, modern deck because they are male, young or??? I have reached for my Gateway to the Divine for them -- and must admit I just bought Silicon Dawn and think that will appeal -- but more to the females.

I am studying the Ludy Lescot and can see where there is a use for this dark deck which put me off initially. I envision it when reading for anyone who I think will relate to the hard emotional and physical conditions portrayed.

My go to decks for off-the-cuff or carry-in-my-purse are tending to be the Spiral Tarot and Tarot Mucha because I find them easy to read and pretty tame in their imaging though very effective.

I hope this helps a bit ;)

Aloha

HallowedNight

I found that I gravitate towards different decks depending on my mood. A bit like reaching for a particular outfit for that day. I also found that the decks I love the most for the art work aren't necessarily the first ones I reached out to for readings :)

I totally agree with the "great art doesn't necessarily equal great reading" thing. I recently got the Llewellyn Tarot and though I looooove the artwork, I haven't even shuffled the thing yet. I have no real desire to read with it. It's gorgeous, but I just don't get any real vibes from it.

Hello ;)

So far, even though I have many decks, I will usually grab my trusty Tarot of Timeless Truth for any reading where someone has questions about family stability and sounds like they need reassurance as this is my favorite for showing hope even in difficulty (I love the tower which shows the burning in the distance but the survivors floating nearby, clinging to logs in a river).

Some like a more slick, modern deck because they are male, young or??? I have reached for my Gateway to the Divine for them -- and must admit I just bought Silicon Dawn and think that will appeal -- but more to the females.

I am studying the Ludy Lescot and can see where there is a use for this dark deck which put me off initially. I envision it when reading for anyone who I think will relate to the hard emotional and physical conditions portrayed.

My go to decks for off-the-cuff or carry-in-my-purse are tending to be the Spiral Tarot and Tarot Mucha because I find them easy to read and pretty tame in their imaging though very effective.

I hope this helps a bit ;)

Aloha

Oh yeah, this makes loads of sense! And certain people probably give off certain vibes as well, then using those to choose a deck...yeah, that's great. :^D

I guess basically it all depends on the situation and person asking. Which makes sense. :^P

Citrin

I pick a deck based on what my intuition tells me. ;) I've noticed that I tend to pick a deck for the day more than the questions I get asked actually. If I do a reading for myself and two for other people in a day I usually stick with the deck that felt right for the first reading. Only sometimes I switch when I really feel the question and deck don't match.

Sometimes I use one deck for weeks, sometimes they don't get used for years... It's all good. They have their place in my heart anyway. ;)

Morwenna

For me, it's sometimes the mood of the day, sometimes the mood of the season (several of my decks feel like they belong to certain seasons). And sometimes, if I'm trying something new, it's a tried and true deck, one that I've been using for ages. If I'm carrying it somewhere for off-the-cuff readings, it's one of the pocket- or mini-sized, for ease of carrying.

And if I'm going to use it at a medieval event, I pick one that has medieval-style artwork (it doesn't have to actually be old, just look as if it belonged there).

DaughterOfDanu

For myself I work with two decks, The Wild Unknown for more serious and spiritual questions, The Cephalopod Tarot for everyday ones and morning draws. My Wild Unknown also travels with me.

But sometimes I will want a deck to go with my mood or the season/weather. It's a pretty rainy day so I'm feeling that I want my Beautiful Creatures Tarot to come out to play.

With clients it's whatever deck they want. If it's a paid client they have the choice of a few of the decks I feel I read best with. They range from the cute Hello Kitty to the more serious Druidcraft.

cmarie

I was thinking about the same topic last night! My decks are in some type of rotation it seems. I think it is a reflection of where I am at mentally and emotionally. I have also noticed what type of movies/books I like varies too.

But I do have a certain style of deck that I am gravitating towards more and more over the years - decks with non or minimally illustrated pips. I also enjoy playing cards and am attracted to miniature decks. I still use RWS style decks sometimes, and I have nothing against them...but those early styles (Marseille, Visconti, Etteilla) are my favorites.

I think seasons could surely play a role, like Morwenna said.

Tanga

I have a collection of "reading" decks. These are my favourite decks that I read smoothly with (from long experience) or which I am planning to become a smooth reader with (so they're quite new and I know I will be able to read well with them - once I get to know them better).

I have a collection of "personal" decks. Some I use to practice reading or daily draws for myself and others are specifically and only used for ritual and magic.

I have a collection of "altar" decks. These are pip decks (which I can't use so well because I learned using an RWS format and this is my "default" platform of operation) or decks that have artwork that I find challenging to read with or that has a non-standard format. Some of these decks are easy reads - but I just don't like the artwork enough for them to be my "go to" deck.
Though the artwork will have some unusual character that I like.
I decorate my Tarot altar with these (the altar is on-the-wall, so it doesn't take up much space, and it's opposite my bed so when I'm lying there my eye can wonder over the spread of cards and contemplate them).

I have a collection of "bonus reading" decks. These are a selection of oracle decks that I use at the end of my Tarot reading to add a "bonus" feature to the presentation (Angel Oracle, Animal spirit guides, Daemons, Faeries, Crystals etc.).

And I have a collection of other Oracle decks for myself.

The insanity of card excess!

AnemoneRosie

I read with different decks based party on my energy level. Some, like Goddess, the Fountain, and Hezicos, just speak to me with no real effort on my part. Some, like the Paulina, read really well for me but I need to be at that level of frenetic energy that the deck hums at. Sometimes I'm just not there at that level.

Sometimes I'll feel very drawn to one deck for no particular reason that I can see. While I hesitate to use an Angel deck (or even Housewives) with clients lest they find the art offensive or sacrilegious sometimes I feel compelled to. In that case I'll ask if they're okay with that style, first.

Others, like my Thoth and Tarot of the Spirit, are reserved for study at this time.