Le Normand ARLO - a 36 card Lenormand deck

silverwings94

I was going to order this until I saw what you posted. I am so glad that I read this before I ordered it. Thank you so much for putting this here.At least now I can spend that money on something else if I want.
Namaste,
Kat

I did this but was very disappointed in the quality of the deck and have since given it away. It is not laminated and the printing quality is not that great either. Sorry if that offends anyone but there it is.[/QUOTE]

IheartTarot

silverwings94 said:
I was going to order this until I saw what you posted. I am so glad that I read this before I ordered it. Thank you so much for putting this here.At least now I can spend that money on something else if I want.

I am sure some people will not be happy about my post but I for one would like to be able to read honest and uncensored albeit tactful opinions about decks here. If anyone would like some other opinions on this deck, try PM MoonGypsy, Le Fanu or Herzog as they all have or had the deck at some stage. The concept is good, but in my opinion the quality of production is only suitable for personal use.

KariRoad

IheartTarot said:
The concept is good, but in my opinion the quality of production is only suitable for personal use.
I enjoy any and all comments about Lenormand decks and appreciate your views. :)

I have some very nice older Lenormands, and in the late 19th and early 20th centuries the cards were often printed and cut irregularly, which makes for a nice authentic antique but is nonetheless unimpressive in terms of quality. The nicer ones are the Carreras decks done by Dondorf. But by the modern era, we get mass produced "printed on plastic" decks that leave me rather cold. Even the newer Urania decks are re-worked to where the images are overwhelmed by the number-bubbles and gigantic playing card inserts.

Le Normand ARLO delivers just what it promises, a quality homemade deck with good image integrity. I can't see how I could complain that an individual (rather than a corporation) had them personally printed, and cut the cards individually by hand. The limited edition of 150 will probably never be sold out, so each deck becomes very significantly unique, which is rare in today's world.

I feel that this deck is what the old originals ought to have been, and to me, it is the Lenormand deck.

KariRoad

Hi Rosanne

Rosanne said:
I have wished upon this deck- but I see New Zealand is not on the selling list.
Maybe there is someway around this?
~Rosanne
I decided to check on this, and basically the reply was that whilst shipping is free to the states, as of now there is only an additional $5 for shipping anywhere else in the world. Of course that involves a special trip to the post office and filling out the required form, too. Quite fair really :) KariRoad

Noelle

IheartTarot said:
I am sure some people will not be happy about my post but I for one would like to be able to read honest and uncensored albeit tactful opinions about decks here.

IheartTarot, I agree.

Deck artwork is something any individual can make a judgement about by perusing whatever sample card images are available on the web. Generally speaking one can decide fairly quickly whether the deck art itself is going to appeal or not.

It's hard though to determine cardstock and printing quality or sometimes how large or small the images are in actuality without having the deck in the hands. Therefore, 'honest' opinions from other buyers can be extremely useful on this front, provided these opinions are not biased. Buyer beware - there are salesmen in this forum too.

As for the ARLO, I like the artwork of this deck, though I don't understand why the name Le Normand was used instead of Lenormand. That it is a limited edition is appealing perhaps, but if the quality of the cardstock isn't up to a standard that allows for regular/normal use or normal shuffability then I'm definitely not interested. So .... your 'honest opinion' about this deck is valued.

I don't see why you should have to concern yourself with others' reactions for simply stating what 'your experience' was with the deck.

IheartTarot

Noelle said:
I don't see why you should have to concern yourself with others' reactions for simply stating what 'your experience' was with the deck.

Thanks Noelle :)

This forum has become quite a hostile place, in part due to the blurring of the lines between a forum for enthusiasts and a marketplace. Deck criticism has caused a great deal of unhappiness this year and I agree that in many cases the people doing the criticism could have been a lot more tactful as the deck creators will be directly exposed to their comments. However, the other extreme is people censoring their opinions so as not to offend anyone which does not help the buyers much. I decided to stick my neck out here risking my popularity ( :D ) in the hope that others will do the same for me. :)

Noelle

One of the things I value the most about people is their honesty!

KariRoad

Noelle said:
As for the ARLO, I like the artwork of this deck, though I don't understand why the name Le Normand was used instead of Lenormand. That it is a limited edition is appealing perhaps, but if the quality of the cardstock isn't up to a standard that allows for regular/normal use or normal shuffability then I'm definitely not interested.
That's an idea :) ask for a sample of the card stock! I find it perfectly suitable. And, I think "Le Normand" is the older spelling, later as Lenormand, like da Vinci or Da Vinci rather than Davinci.

KariRoad

emmsma said:
I like the simplicity and crispness of the images. I want one.
My feelings, exactly!

emmsma said:
(re: ) ARLO Lenormand (posted elsewhere)

The images are simple, clean and soft.

Cardstock heavy and slightly stiff.

They feel good to shuffle - they riffle well.
Yes.

Teheuti

The card stock weight is okay for such a small deck. However, the cards tend to cling to each other until you learn how to handle them. If you are looking for authenticity - a deck appearing much like early decks would have - then I'd say this comes pretty close. I really like it.