Red Owl Lenormand: much harder to learn for beginner?

Phoenix Rising

I do sell the red owl with the playing card inlet and english verses. I'm actually waiting for the decks to arrive. I also stock Blue owl, mystical lenormand. I did have the Gypsy lenormand too, but they are no longer in print.

My site will be advertising them soon Lenormandnz

The court cards are really the only playing card inlet that you need to worry about. The English verses though can be off putting. I do like the artwork though.

Phoenix

IheartTarot

IheartTarot

Phoenix Rising said:
The court cards are really the only playing card inlet that you need to worry about.

Thanks, this is good to know :)

Phoenix Rising

Yes, that's the red owl deck that I'm talking about.

It's interesting though, even though I have tried using the other decks (mystical, red owl and Gypsy) some how they just don't connect as well as the Blue Owl. Maybe because I was taught with the Blue owl in the workshops with Sylvie Steinbach. But I had originally used the Mystical before that.

Phoenix

Le Fanu

is this relevant? Who knows...

IheartTarot is right to mistrust the "owl" descriptions. I have a blue owl with English verses (and gilt edging on the corners which I don't think you see now) and a red owl (with gilt edges) in a blue owl box. I bought it new in the 1980s and it came like that. It never crossed my mind to question it!

I also have a blue owl with playing card inserts.

I didn't know the Gypsy Lenormand was OOP... well, well...

Those twee verses can be a bit distracting, can't they?

IheartTarot

Le Fanu said:
is this relevant? Who knows...

IheartTarot is right to mistrust the "owl" descriptions. I have a blue owl with English verses (and gilt edging on the corners which I don't think you see now) and a red owl (with gilt edges) in a blue owl box. I bought it new in the 1980s and it came like that. It never crossed my mind to question it!

I also have a blue owl with playing card inserts.

I didn't know the Gypsy Lenormand was OOP... well, well...

Those twee verses can be a bit distracting, can't they?

Thanks Le Fanu, I have seen all sorts so I am cautious what I call them now.

The Gypsy Lenormand is still quite easy to find in the German version - the cards are the same but the booklet and box are in German.

http://www.amazon.de/Die-Zigeuner-L...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277798522&sr=8-4

I have ordered an English one from Australia of all places, as I don't want to struggle with the booklet and I want to understand the Gypsy symbology used.

I like the ones with pips and/or verses mainly from a learning and collecting perspective. I like the ones without pips or verses best for working with as I prefer the artwork (Judith Bartschi, Britta's, Melissa's).

Bhavana

So these Lenormand decks - they are all 36 cards, all the cards are the same from deck to deck - meaning they all have a bear card, they all have a house card, they all have a bird card etc...the only difference is the little poems or lack of? And, of course, the artist's style?
I like the verses on my new old little Red Owl deck..I find them very charming. Do the other cards just have numbers?

Chiska

So these Lenormand decks - they are all 36 cards, all the cards are the same from deck to deck - meaning they all have a bear card, they all have a house card, they all have a bird card etc...the only difference is the little poems or lack of? And, of course, the artist's style?
I like the verses on my new old little Red Owl deck..I find them very charming. Do the other cards just have numbers?

Pretty much.

I have a Blue Owl w/ playing card insets. The LWB is in German.

I have a Carta Mundi that has images w/ round playing card insets AND French verses.

I also have a Carreras w/ playing card inset and no titles.

The Pixie's Astounding Lenormand has no playing card insets or verses and are quite nice.

I think I like the Carta Mundi the best.

andybc

The Red/Blue/White Owls all feature the same ink drawings, but have slight differences in colour (at least for the 1960-1980s editions). The Red Owls had watercolour, whereas the Blue Owl had a slightly rougher colour (mix palette). I put side by side comparisons on my blog. The big differences were the Red Owl had poems, and the Blue Owl the playing card inserts. Red Owl is available in German and French, I think they've recently re-released the English version.

The White Owl has a totally different colour scheme (Ship is all pinkish) and playing cards.

Other decks such as the ASS both come with poems or playing cards. The Carta Mundi has both playing cards and poems (French, German or English). There is again differences in colours.

The Mystical and Lenormand Oracle have neither.

Some decks do have different names for cards: 11 – Rod is sometimes called Broom in certain decks, and the Scythe has been called Knife in some too.