Six of Pentacles + Holy Cow

Kosmoran

In the GD correspondence system, the Six of Pentacles is related to Moon in Taurus. That suggests me the symbolism of the Holy Cow. The bull (taurus) can be associated to the Sun, and the cow horns are associated to the moon since ancient times. I dont know much about Egyptian mythology, but the Hathor symbol might indicate the crescent moon with the sun disk - fertility. It seems to me that the Six of Pentacles is all about weath, according to Mathers.

Am I going too far in my associations?

ps - let me just say that I'm working inside the GD system, I know it's not absolute, but it's the main reference of the RWS deck, which I'm studying.

Curtis Penfold

Whenever I think of Taurus, I definitelly think of motherhood. I don't know which ancient religious culture views it this way, but yes, sometimes the bull (sun) is this great cow's son.

Kosmoran

Curtis Penfold said:
Whenever I think of Taurus, I definitelly think of motherhood. I don't know which ancient religious culture views it this way, but yes, sometimes the bull (sun) is this great cow's son.

That's interesting. I've read somewhere that the original Taurus symbol was probably the cow, not the bull. The cow represents the feminine principle that receives the energy of the masculine force that precedes it - Aries. It's interesting to notice that, while Aries is ruled by Mars, Taurus is ruled by Venus. Mythologically, Mars and Venus, Ares and Aphrodite, are married. Then after Taurus you have Gemini, which could be seen as the sacred union between the masculine and the feminine principles. All that to say that, yes, it makes a lot of sense to see Taurus as the holy cow.

Curtis Penfold

O.K. I'm having difficulties with the cow giving birth to the bull (sun). But, in Wikipedia, on Taurus (constellation) it says:

To the Egyptians, the constellation Taurus was a sacred bull that was associated with the renewal of life in spring. About 4,000 years ago, the spring equinox entered Taurus. The constellation would become covered by the Sun in the western sky as spring began. This 'sacrifice' led to the renewal of the land.

Interesting. So we see the association with motherhood. (The fact that Venus is involved helps).

Kosmoran

That makes sense. The more I study esoterism, the more I see how every esoteric concept seem to be mostly based on astrology, which has its bases on agriculture and life cycles.

We should also keep in mind that the ancients themselves related Aphrodite with Hathor, the Egyptian cow goddess of love and fertility.

Curtis Penfold

It should be interesting to note that some cultures have related the bull with the sun and some with the moon.

If you think about the male energies of a bull, wow. But then, you look at those horns, and they're shaped like a crecent moon.

I would say it's safe to say that the bull has to do with renewal on different levels in different cultures.

---------------
And in my religious opinion, I feel that our souls are a reflection of nature, and if we can understand nature, we can understand ourselves.

More than that, the story of the birth, death, and rebirth of the sun, it's real, it's internal. It's just as much a physical observation as a spiritual one. Am I making sense?

Kosmoran

Yeah, you're making sense, and I agree with you about the correspondence between the nature and ourselves. The ancient people probably thought similarly too.