Rider Waite's Queen of Pentacles headress

Cara Jackson

HI guys, do you know what the heck is on this Queens head?

Anyone have a good - blown up - image for me to view?

x Cara

Teheuti

She represents Cardinal Earth, which is Capricorn [the goat] and the last decan of Sagittarius through the first two of Capricorn. It is through such insignia as that that Waite demonstrates his allegiance to the GD correspondences.

Richard

Indeed, here is a quote from Book T:

A WOMAN of beautiful face with dark hair; seated upon a throne, beneath which is dark sandy earth. One side of her face is light, the other dark; and her symbolism is best represented in profile. Her attire is similar to that of the Queen of Wands: but she bears a winged goat's head as a crest. A goat is by her side. In one hand she bears a sceptre surmounted by a cube, and in the other an orb of gold.
She is impetuous, kind; timid, rather charming; great-hearted; intelligent, melancholy; truthful, yet of many moods.

If ill dignified she is undecided, capricious, changeable, foolish.

She rules from 20 Degree Sagittarius to 20 Degree Capricorn.

KariRoad

Let's say, Pamela Colman Smith was a member of some part of what we now lump together as "the golden dawn" with all the stuff we now suppose "the golden dawn" agreed upon (huge stretch on all counts) but let's say. So, would neophyte Miss Smith have been permitted to be introduced to the ultimate secrets of the Court Zodiac?!?

Knights are "Kings" who are 10 degrees Cardinal and 20 degrees Fixed?!? All so that all Knights (Kings) are partly "active" signs (air/fire) as Kings, since of course Knights are active on horses and not "passive" on thrones?!? Because, remember, water/earth equals passive, and on, and on, it goes?!?

Waite's deck imagery has to be false, because otherwise he would have betrayed the secrets he was sworn to protect.

?!? CONCLUSION "the golden dawn" was a huge farce and everybody knew it. So ought we.

KariRoad

imho

Cara Jackson said:
HI guys, do you know what the heck is on this Queens head?
Hi Cara :) It's Her crown. All her own and special to her.

Richard

I've decided (wisely) not to take on KariRoad in a debate. :)

Teheuti

KariRoad said:
CONCLUSION "the golden dawn" was a huge farce and everybody knew it. So ought we.
I don't get what you mean. Did they make stuff up? Sure. But the whole realm of occult tarot is made up. So what?

Pixie may not have had access to the GD tarot materials but Waite did. He gave Pixie directions that would hint at GD meanings for those who were familiar with them without being so specific that someone else would ask questions about them.

Here's Westcott's Queen of Penacles.
http://marygreer.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/westcott-qp060.jpg

The only instructions Westcott gave for this card were: "Earth. Winged goat's head. Goat."

In general Crowley & Harris followed the Westcott court cards more closely than did Waite.

Abrac

It's a winged goat's head as described in Book-T, and as shown in Teheuti's picture. Smith's artwork doesn't make this perfectly clear, but I'm sure that's what it is.