Tarot de Trieste; the forgotten deck

Le Fanu

I have written to the Fournier Museum to see if they can give me any further information. Or maybe some scans of the original... Let's see if anyone replies :)

PTAH

Fournier catalog Valla tarots

Here's a scan of the three Fournier cards.

Attachments

• Fournier Valla tarots.jpg
    Fournier Valla tarots.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 256

Niclas

And a scan of the deck we discuss here.

Clearly the same deck, but scanned from a different original, I should say - look at the border lines from the Lovers, the lower border of the Chalice, and the red in that card, and the horse of the Knight of Swords has bubonic plague on its legs, just to start with.

Attachments

• trieste-compare-1.JPG
    trieste-compare-1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 234

Le Fanu

Wow! How lucky we are to be able to see and compare these two versions! Obviously the one I have was taken from a different version - like Niclas says. Also, the writing on the Knight has lost some lettering in the Fournier version. Thanks very much for both those scans! Also, my version does not have backs like the one which the Fournier Museum catalogues...

A lovely deck, the more I look at it, the more I like it...

Albi

Hi Le Fanu, Hi All

The Deck on my side is the one you already found on amazon (not available any more)
(Autor: Peter Ortmann)
but even years ago it was not available.
I bought my one for just 1 Euro at ebay
(I even did not know the Deck - I just was collecting everything, that was not to expensive ;-)) )

So sadly it sounds, but it seems that the selling was a little flop.
I think it is because there is no big publisher in he background
The Copyright belongs to a German Playing-Card Museum
=> http://www.spielkartenmuseum.de/
"Deutsches Spielkartenmuseum Leinfelden-Echterdingen"
(And the book "was not that hit" :-( )

It's really sad, because it is indeed a very good adding in the collection of "marseiller and friends" -Decks !

Albi

sapienza

Just found this thread. Looks like a lovely deck Le Fanu. I absolutely love the Hermit :)

gregory

I just got mine from on line. They are NOT cut from the book - they come in a well at the back (like so many Japanese ones) - hence no box. (They fall out a lot, of course...)

They are proper cards and very lovely and were reproduced specifically for the book - Der Lombardische Tarot, by Peter Ortmann. (I know you all know this but am putting all this down in one place !) ISBN 3-635-60374-0. Falken, 1998. It states specifically that the deck is photographed from the one in the Spielkartenmuseum.

I've skimmed the intro - not that fast when I'm reading it in German; I will read it properly later - and I can't see anything more about them. I paid £12 + postage...

SolSionnach

gregory said:
I paid £12 + postage...
:::grumble::: (yes, Solandia, we NEED a grumble smiley!)

I paid a lot more for mine - which isn't here yet.

BUT - at least I will have one! :D

SolSionnach

I spoke too soon - mine arrived today (I discussed it in the postman thread). Very nice little deck. I could see it becoming the go-to deck... except it's next to impossible to find a replacement for it, and it's not quite as substantial as an LS deck (21mm stacked vs. 26mm).

Not a problem. The only problem is no box (or bag just yet...).

JDS

Very glad to find this thread - I have this deck on its way to me now and am very eager to see it.