Morgan Greer, glossy Italian printing

Sulis

I have 70s, 80s, 90s copies of the Morgan Greer, both Morgan Press editions and U.S Games editions and they are all the same size and the colouring is richer on my most recent to be honest.

There is an edition which has a fine black line around the images (I think Sulis has one) but I don't remember her saying it was bigger.

Yes, I have that one (Morgan Press with a small black border) and it's not bigger, it's exactly the same size as my 80s US Games version that has a satin finish.
I haven't seen the glossy ones either but I don't generally like glossy varnish on cards so I doubt I'd like them.

Bhavana

Oh dear. Look what I started here.

Ok - first of all, I don't think the printed in italy MG has become collectible - from what I understand, it is the one USGames is now printing, the most recent version.

I got my MG from the Book Depot about 6 mo. ago, evidently they still have or had the older matte printed in China ones still lying around, the ones USG printed BEFORE they moved MG printing operations over to Italy. It's a gorgeous deck, lovely matte satin finish and nice thick cards...LOVE it!!

But....what I now want....is the shiny, glossy, printed in Italy MG that is current from USG. I was hoping someone else was selling them, so I wouldn't have to pay full price at USG - hence my question here to you all.

I love the Morgan Greer, and would just like to get some different versions of it. Seems the really old ones are not easy to find, hardly ever see them on ebay or anywhere else - and if I do, they are pretty pricey. Someone here (jackdaw?) was selling an older one a few months back, but I really didn't have the money at the time....=(

Oh, and no, the BookDepository did not have a contest to give away free decks - I won a contest on a UK tarot website, and the prize was a tarot deck, I think it was a new RW - after I won, I asked if I maybe could not get a different deck, since I already had the yellow box RW....and the guy said ok, and I - being the nice person I am - suggested he order a MG, and have it sent to me direct from the Book Depot - which would be the cheapest way to do it for him (with the free shipping and low prices and all at the BookDepot)

Bhavana

If there is a newer matte print of the MG then I would be very interested in getting it, I wonder how large the cards are?

Try the BookDepository. I haven't had mine that long, what you want is the one printed in China....nice satiny matte finish. They may still have them - but you would be taking a chance, they may not have them anymore, and you'll wind up with another glossy Italian one.
The cards the same size as the newer RW decks - or 2 3/4" x 4 3/4"

autumn star

Wow, this is really weird. Has there ever been a larger size of the Morgan Greer printed? Unless the copy that I have now is particularly small - I only got it last year from amazon. I am determined to track it down ... to prove that I am not imagining things! I don't know much about the deck because I never saw the box etc.

Zezina

It warms the shekals of my heart to hear you all discussing my all-time favourite deck, the Morgan-Greer, so appreciatively.

When I first joined this Forum a year or three ago I had the distinct impression that The Morgan-Greer had fallen from favour.

Miss Divine

I had both the printed in Belgium and the Italy glossy one. To be honest, I prefer the later. I sold the other one (which I kinda regret now). But the colors just pop in all that glossiness!

Le Fanu

I got my MG from the Book Depot about 6 mo. ago, evidently they still have or had the older matte printed in China ones still lying around, the ones USG printed BEFORE they moved MG printing operations over to Italy. It's a gorgeous deck, lovely matte satin finish and nice thick cards...LOVE it!!
But the Printed in China ones are not older, it's the opposite. That is where they seem to be printing current decks. Between (approx) 2004 and 2010 they were printed in Italy. Now they seem to have moved to China so you got a newer not an older one. Of course there are still Printed in Italy ones hanging around from older stock...

Bhavana

But the Printed in China ones are not older, it's the opposite. That is where they seem to be printing current decks. Between (approx) 2004 and 2010 they were printed in Italy. Now they seem to have moved to China so you got a newer not an older one. Of course there are still Printed in Italy ones hanging around from older stock...

ohhhh....well, I heard it the other way around - and also that the ones being sold direct from USG were glossy. Darn - if you are right, this means it is going to be even harder for me to find a glossy one.

Then I guess I need to change the entire question of this thread - I need to know who is selling the older Italian decks!

Bhavana

It warms the shekals of my heart to hear you all discussing my all-time favourite deck, the Morgan-Greer, so appreciatively.

When I first joined this Forum a year or three ago I had the distinct impression that The Morgan-Greer had fallen from favour.

Oh, I don't think it has fallen from favor - the deck is a classic. However, it is also common, has been around forever, is still in print - and that might make it more uninteresting for some. I know for years I wasn't that driven to own it, but then one day it started to grow on me, and after I got it, I fell in love.

Le Fanu

ohhhh....well, I heard it the other way around - and also that the ones being sold direct from USG were glossy. Darn - if you are right, this means it is going to be even harder for me to find a glossy one.
Well, I'm 99% sure it was Italy first and then/now China. The Celestial Tarot had a version printed in China a few years ago and Kat Black's Golden was printed in China a while back, but for the purposes of this thread, the MG was Belgian then Italian. The China printing is the most recent.