Others touching my cards

Kiama

Diana said:
I'd never lend my decks to anyone though. I have to keep my eyes on them. (Except my husband and son - they can use them even when I'm not around.)

I recently lent my Hanson Roberts deck to a fellow Psychology student.. She is a very very small person, due to a dis-ease in her growth or something, and her hands are about the size of a five year old's. She was interested in Tarot, but couldn't shuffle any of th edecks she had found so far. The Hanson Roberts was just about managable, so I lent it to her until she gets her own copy...

I didn't give her a 'deadline' for its return though... I hope I get it back!

Kiama

wavebreaker

It's good to read all your different opinions about this! I'm a newbie at tarot, and it's something I wondered about.

I haven't done any readings for others yet, but I'm already very reluctant to have others touch my cards. For me, it's energy: I feel like the cards contain my energy and I wouldn't want that "disturbed" by someone else.

So I've decided that when I start doing reading for others, I will shuffle the cards myself and then let them cut the cards.
Sounds like a nice compromise to me... ;-)

sarahenglish

I haven't really thought about this. My brother let me do a reading for him yesterday. I shuffled and handed him the deck to cut as he like and deal the cards for himself. I wanted them to be "his" cards, not mine. Afterwards he told me that I had said the same thing a psychic just told him! So I felt good about that.

wigwag

my new decks I keep to myself for a bit before doing readings BUT

I beleive that the answers that come to the tarot are the same if you stick a pin in a book or dowse with a ring.

They are from a higher consiousness and are not a coincidence so therefore, it doesn't matter if you shuffle and cut, if others shuffle and cut, if you don't shuffle and just cut or vise versa.

It is entirely up to you. It is only wrong if you don't think it is right.

jade

i don't have my clients touch the cards although when i first began i did. i had my clients place their left hand on the top of the deck and i would pull their energy into my cards to read for them. then after the reading i would put my energy back into the deck before putting them away.

in light,
jade :)

Spasticgirlie

I will let people touch my deck, but if they are mistreating them I will never ever let them touch a deck of mine again. This has only happened at one occasion. The guy wanted a reading and we were at school pretty much bored so I said alright. How ever he is a skeptic and didnt believe that the cards would show him anything because they werent, and blah blah blah. He started mistreating my cards so to say. Bad talking them and stuff. And I had to defend them and the faeries that controlled the deck (faery oracle). So I took them from him and said never again could he touch my deck again. He didnt understand why but he did shut his mouth. Unfortunately this was a second time that he had done this. The first deck he did it to, I didnt really like and was getting rid of anyways. I guess I should pay closer attention next time. Oops. I still need to get a couple of crystals for cleansing purposes.

Sorceress_Jade

Jade

Jade.... so /your/ the one who had my name :D Looks like ur an upper rank so I won't hold it against you... too much ;)

Anyway, I appreciate all of these replies SO much. Not only for my own peace of mind, which I've gotten, but also because I'm working on a research paper on Tarot (3 pages due in 2 days and I haven't got a single line written!) and I've been at a loss, but this is very helpful and will be included.

Thanx so much, and do continue on.
-Jade- (the other one)

Morgeinne

I really do not like other people touching my cards - this is one area where I am "selfish" :) The only thing that the querent does is cut the deck. I will do the rest. I also don't fan the cards - I pick from the top, that's just something that's always worked well for me. I do, sometimes, allow people to look through my decks just to enjoy the imagery, but during an actual reading? other than cutting, I'm the only one handling the cards. I usually let them look through my "symbolism" deck, the Legend: the Arthurian Tarot, because I don't use that one for readings, only for tarot spells - I can never interpret the images on the minor arcana well enough to remember their basic meanings. My deck that I use for readings, the Dragon Tarot, mostly stays untouched.

*hugs*
Morgeinne

funkpuss

Hi,
I used to be very funny about people touching my cards but I'm not bothered any more. I won't lend my cards out to anyone, olny my old decks but people can get so rapped up with do's & don't with the cards. So I just do what feels right for me and I never go by the books.

FP

MattDouglas

Touching the cards!

Hi Funkpuss!
Personally, I ALWAYS have the querent shuffle and cut the cards themselves. I want to get the querent talking about their situation. Regardless, of what I can glean from the cards, i can always glean more if they are more willing to talk about their issue(s). After all, to me this is about helping them ,not impressing them. I even encourage people to ask questions out loud. Granted, I can guess what they're asking about at least 75% of the time, but I'd rather them tell me, so I can save time and use the cards to look for advice rather than figure out a problem when they can just spill it straight. However, sometimes people are embarassed about asking something aloud (usually a sex question), and if they are more comfortable remaining silent then okay.

Since, I try to be interactive with them in reading, I want to increase the interaction by allowing them to shuffle and cut themselves. My only stipulation is that I insist they cut left-handed, regardless of their handedness.

I also have about 15 deck and let the querent pick which one, but if they go "Oh I dunno" then I'll pick for them. However, if they want to look at the cards before picking a deck them I'll let them.

Recently, I've been letting people pick their own signifier by looking through the cards. I find this give great additional insight into their situation.

Well, that's just me. Take it as you will.

Matt