Pros and Cons Thread Enabling+De-enabling

Alta

I'll try this new thread out as well. PCS Commemorative - comments?
Pros:
- I believe the only way it comes is in a kit, but the kit is excellent. A very interesting book on PCS, quite a few examples of her non-RWS art including a handful of postcards. Box is nice and very sturdy.
- the cardstock is excellent and is nicely thick without being too stiff.
- to me the printing seems of high quality.
- the backs are very attractive.
- the almost painful 'measles effect' of some printings is much reduced.

Now, I am not sure if this is a pro or a con: the cardstock has been deliberately slightly yellowed to look old.

Cons:
- I find the images have a milky overlay (I cannot think of a better word, almost as if they are in a slight mist).
- the surface texture is odd, again not sure if this is a pro or a con. The cards feel almost waxy.

Any help?

I think it is worth having & using.

Alta

Debra

Renaissance Tarot

I have this.

Cons:

Card Titles. "Page~Princess" I found annoying. I trimmed them off. Pictures are linked in the Trimmed Deck index--scroll down for links to trimmed cards. http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=2893303&postcount=3

Deck Title. It's also called the "Secret" tarot in some places. Neither is a very good name, in my opinion.

Pros:
Everything else. It's a creative, consistent minimalist approach that nonetheless has enough decorative detail to engage the imagination. It gets the essence of the card across without a fuss, and can be read at a deeper spiritual level as well as a more mundane "don't forget to pick up the dry cleaning" level. Card stock is good, printing is good. It's not a too-too precious to touch deck.

I like this deck a lot. There was an individual study running, started by Little Buddha/Little Baron and these threads are interesting. http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=131

For five bucks each I'd grab the whole bin if I could to give as gifts. I think they're good for beginners as well as more experienced readers.

Le Fanu

There are 3 Renaissance Tarots.

Your link took a while to open on my computer.

Oh dear, it's the least beautiful one. But, come on, it's $5. Even the ugliest Renaissance Tarot is worth $5...

Debra

WTH, Le Fanu? That's not pros and cons.

Stormdancer

I have NOthing of interest to say, but again, I will ask .....

Can everyone PLEASE title their posts with which deck they're discussing????

***stumbles off stage left***

Le Fanu

Renaissance (for stormdancer)

WTH, Le Fanu? That's not pros and cons.
Isn't it? OK, then. Pros; it's cheap. Cons; it's quite stark and has an odd moulded clay feel. The facelessness might be unsettling. But surely cheap over-rides everything?

vee

William Blake Tarot of Creative Imagination

I have NOthing of interest to say, but again, I will ask .....

Can everyone PLEASE title their posts with which deck they're discussing????

***stumbles off stage left***

But also mention it in your post please! :laugh: Cuz those of us who read the forum on our tablets and phones can't see the post titles.

Thank you for the William Blake thoughts, Chiska! It is indeed the Revised one. I think I have been sufficiently enabled. That will be my next purchase, I think.

Cassandra022

Pros:
- I believe the only way it comes is in a kit, but the kit is excellent. A very interesting book on PCS, quite a few examples of her non-RWS art including a handful of postcards. Box is nice and very sturdy.
- the cardstock is excellent and is nicely thick without being too stiff.
- to me the printing seems of high quality.
- the backs are very attractive.
- the almost painful 'measles effect' of some printings is much reduced.

Now, I am not sure if this is a pro or a con: the cardstock has been deliberately slightly yellowed to look old.

Cons:
- I find the images have a milky overlay (I cannot think of a better word, almost as if they are in a slight mist).
- the surface texture is odd, again not sure if this is a pro or a con. The cards feel almost waxy.

Any help?

I think it is worth having & using.

Alta

thanks alta! your input is appreciated :]

kalliope

But also mention it in your post please! :laugh: Cuz those of us who read the forum on our tablets and phones can't see the post titles.

Thanks for this, vee! I read the forum sometimes on my phone, and it an be a bit of a puzzle sometimes to figure out what people are talking about! :laugh:

Cassandra022: Re: the PCS Commemorative

I really like this deck, so it's mostly Pros for me.

Pros:
-the colors are much more muted and attractive to my eye than the standard yellow-box RWS (that one seems garish in comparison)
-I love the pseudo aged quality of the cards
-it's what I imagined the "Original" box set would be (I didn't have the better printing of that one, I'll admit). Not as monochromatically green/brown as that one.
-I find the card back design to be simple and attractive, and I like the kind of muted smoky blue of it, too.
-Love the cardstock. A bit thicker than normal, but not overly stiff. Feels natural and not plastic-y, but still coated with a subtle something to make them smooth
-I didn't think I would care about or enjoy the box set materials, but it was well done, and I quite like the kit.

Cons:
-If you don't like a faux tea-stained effect, you won't like this
-It only comes in the large box set, so if you want a back up copy you have to buy the whole thing again (and have to store both boxes somewhere)
-Apparently it's not an authentic replica of the original printings in ways that bother those who are actually familiar with those early copies
-The backgrounds (especially the blue skies) can have a textured effect on some of the cards, almost like a canvas texture (reminds me a little of the Sun and Moon, but not exactly). This, along with the stained effect, might be the "milky" thing that Alta mentioned.
-If you don't like the muted blue of the backs, you probably won't like it, because it's one of the predominate colors when flipping through the deck (along with soft faded yellow and soft grayish tones). [Soft, but not in a pastel way.]