for you self publishers - I have a question

morandia

first off, I'm in the US.

1) Have you had any copyright issues? is it just submitting the forms to the copyright office?

2) are you printing them yourself? if so, what stock? what kind of printer? How are you trimming them?

3) if you aren't printing them yourself, how are you going about it? Hiring a local printer?

I am rather confused on the process.

HudsonGray

If your images are all your own & you haven't borrowed anything from other art, you only need to file the Short Form VA with the copyright office (takes 5 minutes to fill out, add your $30 check & a copy of your deck & mail it off). If you used other art in some way, you need to use the long form & have to follow the instructions explaining what was derivitive. I submitted the forms in end of Dec., the check was cashed in March & the form finally got back to me in early July, so they have a 7 month start-to-finish time at this point. 9/11 put them really far behind, they have to have extra security on packages coming to the copyright office & that slows things down a lot. It used to be less than a 2 month wait.

I used a printer, local. They did all the cutting (sides match up perfectly) and such. But very few have lamination capability (or that spray varnish feature). When it comes to the card stock, feel for how stiff it is, you can't go by the # number. I came across firmer 60# weight than 90#. If you want 150#, which is really nice, they'll probably have to order it--but make sure their machines have rollers that can pull that weight through & not jam in the process. You'll want to look at digital vs standard printing with color separation, also.

When I did both decks I documented the printer problems/questions in the thread. They could do it via the art on CD, but could work with regular hard copy originals also. Prices varied at each of the 9 places we went to so definately check around & describe what you want, they'll give you a quote. If you want to see what I went through with the printers, check on this board for the threads 'One MORE Deck Hits The Table' and also 'Chat du Marseille/Cat of the Marseille'. We hit some snags, but the printer worked it all out.

I'm checking out a different printer for the next deck, I just found out Julie Cuccia Watts had her Blue Moon printed up over in Waukesha & they had the ability to do lamination, which she was very happy with. I DO want my decks to feel like the real thing, not just regular card stock.

Astra

I went with Delano Services in Michigan - www.delanoservice.com - because I wanted a professional looking deck, and I got it. (Paid for it, too!)

There are some rather extensive threads on this subject over the last 4-6 months, as several of us have been in the process of self-publishing recently. It's probably worthwhile to settle down for some extensive browsing, because a huge number of issues and possibilities were discussed.

M-Press

Hi morandia!
yes, there is a LOT of discussion on many many matters, and you should really delve in it!
one of the things that I think you should decide before you go with it, is whether you want a "self-published" home-kind quality (small quantities, small risk), or something that can stand on the same shelf as the big companies (big expense, big risk, professional quality). This issue starts with the stock you print on, and goes on till the cello wrapping. Big differences out there, and in price as well. if you don't come from the "publishing" world or anywhere near it, i wouldn't reccomend get in to the "big" venture. There are too many mistakes on the way that can be overlooked, and be fatal too..(money wise...)

why do I sound like this this morning?:???
Well, start by doing the homework....you'll feel where it goes..
Good luck!

morandia

when you try to get published with a large publisher, do they make you change images? or text for the book? or are they pretty accepting of the artist's vision?

blackroseivy

There are sure things *I* need to know!!!