Tarot Deck Creation Study Group - Yes or No?

Tarot Deck Creation Study Group is a good idea

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

jumptothemoonyea

As winter is coming and evenings are becoming longer (or not :)), I suggest to start a Tarot Deck Creation Study Group.

First this group will need instructor(s): if you want to volunteer as instructor/group leader please say so.

Some suggested group guidelines:

• working on one card at a time (duration to be determined by instructor)
  • discussions include techniques, ideas, from general to detail and opposite
  • discussion is open to all members, not only to this study group
  • commitment is not required, post as many or none cards as you want
  • this study open to everybody regardless of graphical experience, art is not about degree of graphical perfection, but shining your heart through your images

Please vote in the above poll if you are interested (or not :D)

Major Tom

Hi Jumptothemoonyea,

You won't have been here long enough to remember that The Tarot Deck Creation Board grew from a study group. So, in a way, you've already got your wish.

If it's working on one card at a time you're after, I suggest you check out the 78 Weeks of Study threads. Granted, these are not threads about artistic techniques, but there's nothing to prevent any participant from discussing these as they go along. Both CreativeFire and I created decks as part of the 78 Weeks study last time around. So again, you've already got your wish.

Finally, I do wonder if you asked the people you've nominated as instructors if they were interested before posting their names?

baba-prague

You know, I think that as Tom says, this part of the forum already functions as an informal study group. The idea of structuring it more - by, for instance, asking people to work on a particular card at a particular time as you suggest - is an interesting one, but I'm not sure that it would work. I'm also not sure that the idea of "instructors" is feasible. Oh, and no, I wasn't asked by the way - not that this worries me too much :). But if you are thinking of something like an organised online course in tarot deck design I honestly doubt that anyone here would have the time to run this.

I think the forum works very well as it is - with people free to post work as and when they're ready and others free to comment or not. But do you feel there is something missing or that could be improved? I'm interested in why you suggested a structured study group with instructors - do you really think that will add anything? (real question, not just rhetorical!)

jumptothemoonyea

Thanks Tom and Baba-prague for your response.

First - main goal of this experiment: is to see if there is interest on our forum for this kind of organized study group. Not only me, but forumwise.

Tom - "history is not carved in stone" :) I heard it is an upward spiral :D And we make it as it goes

Baba - I am often wrong in my ideas, but I feel there are people here who need a Master to centralize, clarify, simplify, explain, make them more confident in pursuing Deck Creation. There is some strange dynamics in a group environment, compare to individual efforts. This was meant as a study, not a creation of final, competitive Tarot cards.

I did not nominate any Teachers here, I cannot do it. I just suggested those I thought would make good ones. I understand it could be a big job, though if for example 1 card takes 1 month to create and everybody discusses each other cards, teacher/instructor only have little input, to guide the flow.

Please forgive me if this suggestion or the form I presented it was wrong or offensive.

Major Tom

jumptothemoonyea said:
  • working on one card at a time (duration to be determined by instructor)
  • discussions include techniques, ideas, from general to detail and opposite
  • discussion is open to all members, not only to this study group
  • commitment is not required, post as many or none cards as you want
  • this study open to everybody regardless of graphical experience, art is not about degree of graphical perfection, but shining your heart through your images

I guess I don't understand what you want that is new. :confused:

The guidelines you put forward are pretty much how the Tarot Deck Creation board works.

Folks working on their own decks, whether one card at a time or otherwise, start threads and invite comments on their work.

The discussions on these threads include techniques, ideas, from general to detailed and opposite.

Discussion is open to all members of Aeclectic, they don't have to 'belong' to this board.

Commitment is not required, post as many or none cards as you want. Take part or don't take part. Anyone may join in regardless.

This is how I've kept it running for a number of years now.

jumptothemoonyea said:
Please forgive me if this suggestion or the form I presented it was wrong or offensive.

I guess what winds me up is that you don't see that you've already got what you're asking for. ;)