Full moons

Voron

dadsnook2000 said:
It is interesting when you find those people who are highly sensitive to the Moon and not to the Sun. Donna Cunningham wrote a book about being a Lunar person in a Solar world, I believe. For these sensitive Moon people, they will often react to the major Moon Phases no matter what they contact or don't contact in their chart.

Actually, if one is sensitive to the phases of the Moon, they are not sensitive to the Moon to the exclusion of the Sun, but they are in fact sensitive to the Sun-Moon angle. A full Moon is Sun-opposite-Moon -- it wouldn't be full without the Sun. (Now if a person had a particular reaction whenever the Moon entered Aquarius, for example, then that'd be a whole different ball of wax altogether.)

I myself (possibly on account of having Moon in Cancer) feel the phases rather strongly -- I will often be having a day full of emotional conflict and look up and there's a half-moon, or, more technically , Sun-square-Moon, hanging in the sky and I think to myself "no wonder!"

I would agree that there ought to be *some* connection with the natal chart, though.

Voron

Rosanne said:
March 3rd
Full Worm Moon
6:17 pm

August 28th
Full Sturgeon Moon
6:35 am

These two are Lunar Eclipses -- Total, as they are very close to the nodes.

Times are Eastern US, adjusted for Daylight Savings (when applicable)

Gemini Rising

For the past few months, I've been trying to link phases of the moon to my moods, and have come up with this conclusion: the moon has NO effet on me whatsoever! I have a moon in Leo, much different from moon in Cancer...and trust me, if I had ANY planets in Cancer I'd kill myself--Cancerians and I don't exactly get along well...

YDM42

Actually, if one is sensitive to the phases of the Moon, they are not sensitive to the Moon to the exclusion of the Sun, but they are in fact sensitive to the Sun-Moon angle. A full Moon is Sun-opposite-Moon -- it wouldn't be full without the Sun. (Now if a person had a particular reaction whenever the Moon entered Aquarius, for example, then that'd be a whole different ball of wax altogether.)

My Sun is in Leo and My Moon in Cancer- talk about a combination..sensitivity is the word- the moon affects my moods (sensitivity) and readings and the Sun affects my physical body-(sensitivity) it exhaust me, gives me headaches, skin allergies, (yes it breaks me out like crazy) and changes my eye color- as a result I am a night person more than a day person. Which does not go well with work or career...so I'm grumpy--the sun is killing me...(smile)
Funny thing lately both the moon and sun have been consistently present during the day time...wonder if that means anything.
So yes, I think the moon affect readings...but only in the sense that it reflects the effects upon the reader.

Rosanne

Voron said:
These two are Lunar Eclipses -- Total, as they are very close to the nodes.

Times are Eastern US, adjusted for Daylight Savings (when applicable)
Thanks Voron, I use the Native American titles cause they are so romantic and I understand why they are called these names. I should really find out the Maori equivalent for New Zealand- and I have an New Zealand Astronomical yearbook to adjust to. I like to think when I am looking in August at the moon the sturgeon are running in the North. I guess here it would be The Full Lamb Moon lol.~Rosanne

Fulgour

dadsnook2000 said:
...a new moon at the start of the month means nothing
as a general rule.
So :) True! When I am out (day or night) orienting myself
to the actual positions of things, I extend my arms to the
horizons, figure the signs there, and do a funny windmill...
I sure don't point to the east and think of the month now.

Also, I do name my New Moons. This one, I call: Obsidian.

Voron

Clarification

Rosanne said:
Thanks Voron, I use the Native American titles cause they are so romantic and I understand why they are called these names. I should really find out the Maori equivalent for New Zealand- and I have an New Zealand Astronomical yearbook to adjust to. I like to think when I am looking in August at the moon the sturgeon are running in the North. I guess here it would be The Full Lamb Moon lol.~Rosanne

For the record, the full moons that are the eclipses are going to vary over time. The nodal cycle is about 18 years, but since there are two nodes, the eclipse cycle will appear to repeat on roughly a 9 year cycle. So the nodal pair moves about 2/3 of a sign a year -- backwards, so 3 years after the Sturgeon Moon is an eclipse, the Full Strawberry Moon will be the eclipse. (On one or both of the intermediary years, the Full Buck Moon would be the eclipse.) *Occasionally*, one gets two partial lunar eclipses back to back. Bu the general rule is 2 Solar and 2 Lunar eclipses a year.

Voron

GeminiRising said:
if I had ANY planets in Cancer I'd kill myself--Cancerians and I don't exactly get along well...
I've got a lot of Libra in my chart...see below

YDM42 said:
My Sun is in Leo and My Moon in Cancer- talk about a combination..sensitivity is the word-

I think that Moon in Cancer is kindof like the Universe's sick joke. It is pain incarnate at times. Living proof that a ruling planet in its own sign can be "too much of good thing" (or excessive expression of one quality.)

I personally find having a Cancer Moon* to be extremely inconvenient. At times I outright hate it. (and part of me says that *that* is why I'm so screwed up inside!)

*(conjunct Saturn and in the 8th house just for fun!)

At least in the US east coast urban society, it's quite a liability. But I'm good with kids. Go figure. But have none, and am in a situation such that I probably never will.

So I'm still trying to find the saving grace of hypersensitive, needy, whiney, stormy, broody, emo, depressive (Saturn influence, prolly) Moon in Cancer...

rachelcat

Rosanne said:
May 2nd
Full Flower Moon
6:09 am
May 31st Full Blue Moon 9:04 pm

Hello full moon lovers (from the village astrological idiot)! I have a question about 13 full moons in a year and blue moons.

I understand that there are 13 full moons in a year so one month or astrological sign will end up with two, and the second one is the Blue Moon. I don't have my notes with me, but I tried to figure out which sign this year will have the blue moon (not the calendar month). Using Llewellyn's 2007 Astrological Pocket Planner, I wrote down the date the sun enters each sign and the date of each full moon, but I didn't see two full moons between the signs! Can anyone help me out with this?

Ok, more questions: I love the list of full moon names from Roseanne from the Farmer's Almanac. Are there any "astologically correct" ones, or what are the varieties of names?

Where can I find exact numbers for the full moon cycle (more than 28 days?)and the year cycle (365 and a quarter, right?)? And the exact time of an astrological sign/month? I saw some figures in a book out to four decimal places, but I can't find it again!

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanking you in advance, I remain your affectionate,

Village Idiot, aka rachelcat!

dandelion

Greetings,

Here are a few of my thoughts in response to your questions. I’m sure others will have more to share! (It may be easier to disconnect this discussion thread from the full-moon-at-beginning-of-month subject into a separate discussion about blue moons... perhaps the mods can help us there).

Blue Moons – there are several different definitions of what constitutes a “blue moon;” one common definition is when two consecutive new or full moons occur in the same sign within a “solar month” (that being, while the sun walks through a single sign, the new moon occurs at the beginning and again at the end of that period).

Another definition is when there are four full moons in a single solar season. Yet another describes a blue moon as two full moons in a calendar month (which I think is more of a colloquial definition than it is an astrological definition).

Ok, leaving all that confusion aside, the last blue moon (according to the first definition I suggested) occurred in 2006 to my knowledge:

The moon was new in Virgo on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006 and again on Friday, September 22nd, 2006.

Try looking through your date book again, paying close attention to the sign the moon is in when it conjuncts and/or opposes the sun. If I have time, I’ll take a look as well and see what I can find. The colloquial use of “once in a blue moon,” referring to something rare, truly applies – I do not believe that every year has a blue moon, so 2007 may not.

You question about moon names is a fun one. I think I saw someone else in this thread who likes to name the new moons – I know many of us like to do the same. Lots of cultures assign their own names and symbolisms to lunar cycles, and if you want to have a little fun, you may enjoy this woman’s blog (she makes a long list of names associated with each full moon and posts them when they pass):

Beyond the Fields We Know

Beyond the Fields We Know – Label: “Moons”

For more basic information about lunar phases, here is a good place to look:

Phases of the Moon
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/faq/docs/moon_phases.html

They state that the moon has a “complete phase cycle of 29.5 days average duration.”

Here’s another site with more information with the numbers you seek:

Calendars – keeping track of time
http://www.science.org.au/nova/051/051key.htm

They estimate the lunar cycle “takes an average 29.530589 days,” and that the solar cycle is down to “365.24219 days;” if you read the article you’ll see that there is much discussion to be had concerning the latter number!

I hope that information helps!

dandelion