The Wild Unknown Tarot: study group & discussion

celticnoodle

Still waiting for my book. I hope it will be here by the end of this week.

ladybird

I got the book anyway since I got the deal yesterday. I'll be happy to help fill you all in for sure!!!

lark

I would like to do a study of this deck...I have the book too, so can help with that.
Can we start anytime adding thoughts about cards?

Calcifer

Card Backs...

Has anyone here fanned out the deck backwards yet so as to see the backs ?

Normally I don't care too much for seriously ornate or eye catching card backs, but this is something different. At first the nearly psychedelic effect was distracting, but once I relaxed, they really drew me in. On a smaller scale I get the same effect from individual cards now - I guess you could say that I went from not caring too much for them to thinking them to be very helpful all at once :).

Curious if anyone esle noticed this....

Wintergreen

Normally I don't care too much for seriously ornate or eye catching card backs, but this is something different. At first the nearly psychedelic effect was distracting, but once I relaxed, they really drew me in. On a smaller scale I get the same effect from individual cards now - I guess you could say that I went from not caring too much for them to thinking them to be very helpful all at once :).

Hi Calcifer, I choose cards from a fanned out deck, so I noticed the psychedelic thing right off. The first thing I noticed when I laid out a 5 card spread was that psychedelic effect of the spare use of rainbow colour. So for me, both front and back have that effect. I love that kind of dense line art. I look for artists who do that sort of thing, Agnes Martin & Liz Davidson are a couple that I really love. It's an interiorized, meditative thing, for both the artist and the viewer. Agnes Martin wrote extensively about her art – it's something that would appeal to anyone who feels a strong connection to this deck.

Wintergreen

So, my first impressions:

Definite psychedelia. The repetitive and varied use of line and space draws your eye in and takes you on an abstract tangent if you let it. This deck would be greatly enhanced by an acid-trip (not that I'm advocating that!!!), just saying it would grow some pretty trippy dimensions... But it's got a definite 60's simplicity, back to the land, peace and love vibe. Not as obviously cheeky like Morgan's, but still a bit so.

Stark imagery. Probably won't appeal to anyone who really loves CGI decks of the Ciro Marchetti type. It's by no means one-dimensional, but it can seem rough and ragged, and nearly bleak at first glance. Some cards seem dark and brooding, others surprisingly light and soft. It reminds me of walking in the forest or in a field in winter, with its limited palette and harsh lines. Perhaps at night under a partly veiled moon...

The cards work really well in conjunction with each other: the metaphors are very direct. Some cards tell elaborate stories, like the Hierophant with it's lightening bolt hitting a key grasped in the talons of a cawing rave. Others are very simple, with only one thing going on, like the 9 of wands: a grid of sticks in a penumbral light. When I first saw the 9 of wands I didn't really get it or like it, but I drew some cards earlier and the Ace of swords came up with the 9 of wands: slash through the obstacle (my reading was about a dilemma I've been dreading facing).

I'm looking forward to working in-depth with this one.

velvetina

mine arrived yesterday and I am approaching it as I would any wild creature; no sudden movements, that kind of thing!

I don't think I'll be needing a book - it is always interesting to read about the artist's approach, inspiration etc, but I'm guessing I'll find out via Internetnet sources etc.

I love the feel of the cards, I love the packaging - the black ribbon, the 'handwritten' note - I love the art.

It arrived yesterday, and I simply put it in my bag & then, later, wrapped in my shawl, under my pillow.
Today is my day off, and it is being 'trained', like a sheepdog - the Thoth card of the day for me this morning was Ace of Disks, so I'm looking at the Thoth card & the corresponding Ace of Pentacles in the Wild Unknown deck.

its exciting! I love the analogy of exploring the forest being akin to exploring this deck. (I love my Greenwood for very similar reasons)...in the forest of the Wild Unknown, I recognise the plants & animals but I haven't worked out the pathways, the deer & badger tracks, where the secret places are...its going to be lovely!

celticnoodle

Hi Calcifer, I choose cards from a fanned out deck, so I noticed the psychedelic thing right off. The first thing I noticed when I laid out a 5 card spread was that psychedelic effect of the spare use of rainbow colour. So for me, both front and back have that effect. I love that kind of dense line art. I look for artists who do that sort of thing, Agnes Martin & Liz Davidson are a couple that I really love. It's an interiorized, meditative thing, for both the artist and the viewer. Agnes Martin wrote extensively about her art – it's something that would appeal to anyone who feels a strong connection to this deck.

Yes, me too! At first it almost hurt the eyes to see the backs, but then after awhile, I really like the backs. I feel really 'drawn' to the back of the card almost as much as to each individual card too, :laugh: I think one could almost divine by just meditating on the backs too, though I have yet to try. ;)

mine arrived yesterday and I am approaching it as I would any wild creature; no sudden movements, that kind of thing!

I don't think I'll be needing a book - it is always interesting to read about the artist's approach, inspiration etc, but I'm guessing I'll find out via Internetnet sources etc.

you won't really need the book. And, at the cost of $20.00 for it, I honestly don't think it was worth the full $20.00. However, that said, I am glad myself that I did purchase the book. The artist didn't go into great detail on each card in this book--which is what I was hoping for. Wintergreen described it perfectly in the other Wild Unknown Tarot thread--which I will copy below--

wintergreen said:
I don't think the book is a must in any sense: the folded sheet included with the deck gives a good snapshot of the meanings the artist held in mind. But the book is lovely to peruse and does add a bit of insight into the artist's thinking. I would have liked to read more, but she seems to be holding back so as to let people figure it out for themselves and develop a more personal relationship and connection with the deck. I'm not sure it's worth the $20 bucks I paid for it, but that's the reality of small press-runs, and all in all, I'm happy to have it, and happy to support the artist by buying it.

It's already one of my favourites.

it is also one of my favorite decks too now, btw. :)

Calcifer

In the "deck" section, someone mentioned that The Emperor and The Tower are the same tree.... I took another look last night and I have to refute that. Not only are they two entirely different trees, but they're different species as well: the Emperor looks to be some kind of hardwood, whereas the Tower clearly looks like an evergreen of some sort.

Just thought I'd toss that in...

Michael

Calcifer

Hmmm, mighty quiet here lately.
Such as it is, I got the book (and a second deck), and having been through the book, I can say that I'm glad to have it - though there isn't anything particularly revealing here.

Anyway, I've been off and on playing with three newish decks: Wild Unknown, Gilded Royale, and the DruidCraft. All three have excellent card stock, are pretty darn new, and haven't been handled too much. Oddly. of the three, the Wild Unknown is constantly "tossing" out cards whenever I handle them, much more so than the others; naturally I pay attention, and I've been giving them the same consideration in my daily draw (when it happens). Very strange.

Michael