The Wild Unknown Tarot - VIII Swords

Winterchild

I do not relate the 8s to justice. I relate them to the strength card. So for me, I look at this butterfly hanging on the sword with it's wings folded around its body. Is it protecting itself? or is it just caught unaware? below it are 7 more swords ready to pierce it, which obviously can do incredible damage. surely the butterfly knows this. so what is the butterfly thinking? what is it planning to do?

Yes I do too usually but as they have chosen to have strength at 11 here, I went with that, but I also had a similar few to your above when considering strength as 8....

With this deck I haven't been consciously taking on the traditional meanings because I wanted to see what came through.... so far there is always something of the traditional in what I see, albeit often rather obfuscated!

TheWarrior

Thankyou Sulis for redirecting me here..and this is so very very resonant with what is going on with me too right now....it is almost like a cocooned period before I am ready to make that next step further in my own personal growth .... I do like this card very much as it does offer a very important significant and beautiful message parallel to the harshness of the circumstances....that with every upheaval or hurts that we may be sitting with there is a truly genuine opportunity, if we gently allow ourselves to let go of our fears.....I felt the beauty of the cocooned butterfly, and I highlight the word gentle, that quiet essence from it...therefore move slowly and gently with our thoughts through a harsh situation. I do love all the feedback here it is so very informative and helpful and warm...and will check out this deck :) Thanku again Sulis......and much love with you in your journey there. x

Karrma

8 of swords. Beautiful picture in the Wild Unknown. There is a chrysalis, with a butterfly just ready to burst out, the infintisimal time before transformation. The swords have been protectors, the one on top is the foundation, stability for the chrysalis, and the 7 others are surrounding it , protecting it from being destroyed. But in the next minute, these swords of protection, may become swords of destruction, if they do not move or change, as when the butterfly emerges, it will start to spread and dry it's wings, and the same swords that protected and stabilized, could tear and rip and destroy the transformed, delicate wings. If the swords were able to turn away, move, then all will be well. So we must be aware that ideas, protections, do need to be mutable. if they are fixed, they may do harm rather than protect.... like a mother protecting her child when they are young, giving skills, then letting them fly, versus overprotection, enmeshment, entrapment, mother's love for another turning into a need to keep things the same.

crystalwings

I love reading how others see these cards its very enlightening... forever learning.
The lines to the back of this card are horizontal quit heavy/thick and slightly wavering, so appear resting, difficult to break and unpredictable. The thick black swords crossed and diagonal suggest conflict that is difficult to break moving/pointing towards the chrysalis. The chrysalis itself clings to horizontal sword again reminiscing of a thick black line, giving the absence of conflict and stability. The chrysalis is contained and glows orange, suggesting an incubation period while it comes up with creative ideas to challenge the swords with.

inanna_tarot

I drew the 8 of Swords in the Illuminati tarot today, and so I wanted to play compare and contrast with the 8 of swords in this wonderful deck for a different perspective.

The RWS card is one of restriction, of helplessness and abandonment. There is a sense of no way out, of being restricted at every turn and you have to just put up with it.

Yet here we see a wonderfully natural expression of the same thing, but in a different way.
Rather than being bound up and tied up, fighting for freedom, to me this card says 'Rest a little longer, wait for the right time' Its like a cake, you have to wait for the right moment for it to be baked, and you can't rush it. The catterpiller has to just wait until the right moment, no rushing.

And I think sometimes, just resigning yourself to that fact that no matter how much you anguish and worry about it, when its not the right time to act, its not the right time.

So embrace the time, explore with optimism but don't make a move yet, its not the right time. Its not a time to worry or stress, its just time to resign yourself to knowing now is not the right time ....yet.
But the potential is there, hope is there... its bursting to come now, just not yet.

Pixna

I'm blown away by the ingenious views here, and I'm gaining so much more than if I studied the deck on just my own. The WU is deceptively simple and brilliantly done. This card is the perfect example.

I don't have a lot to add to the wonderful insights already given. Here are just a few other things I observed:

* The chrysalis looks like the Ner Tamid, the eternal light that hangs above the ark in every synagogue. Its flame is never extinguished, and it's a symbol of the eternal, imminent presence of spirit.

* What is holding up the sword that is holding up the chrysalis? Could that energy wane at any time and suddenly drop its precious cargo?

* Are the seven swords below protectors/defenders or threats? I love what Karma said about them needing to be mutable.

* This card seems to silently scream for a period of incubation and self-protection -- a combination of the Hanged Man and the Hermit.

This deck has spectacularly reignited my interest in Tarot. (And I also have purchased a backup -- I love it that much. :) )

Pixna

A few tags lines I feel sum up this card:

* Hanging by a thread.

* Feet to the fire.

* Being roasted over an open fire.

Even though there isn't an actual fire in the card, it's the sensation that's conveyed to me -- as if the chrysalis feels she's being roasted or having her feet put to the fire, despite the fire being only in her imagination.

Hanging by a thread seems self-evident, but that's quite a fine thread for such a large chrysalis to be hanging from. The filaments, which are of the chrysalis's own making, must be very strong. It seems she has either put herself in this awkward situation or has some responsibility for being there (and for getting herself out of it).

Sulis

I pulled this card yesterday and a phrase just jumped into my head; it was 'between times' and, as people have said earlier in this thread, it made me think of The Hanged Man.. This is not the time to act, this is a time of waiting for change, and I'm 'between times'… It seemed to fit.. There was also a very strong feeling of apparent fragility that isn't as fragile as it appears..

I love this deck..

Water Lady

I love it more with each card and understand of the deck and thanks to all of you brilliant