Designing Tarot Spreads...

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever felt inspired to create a Tarot Spread, but hadn't the foggiest idea what the positional-meanings of the cards ought to be?!

Last week I was inspired to design a spread during waning moon in Pisces (the day after the Full Mon in Aquarius), so I shuffled and threw down 11 cards in the shape of the Pisces alchemical glyph: two mirroring arcs bridged by one card. Well, I was surprised by how the cards were not only associated with the sign of Pisces (my sun sign) and seemed to be pointing out a pattern and indicating some rough position meanings! There was a proliferation of several Cauldron cards (I was using Tarot of the Old Path)--Pisces is a sign of the Element of Water; the first card at the bottom of each arc was the Fool and the World, respectively showing the beginning and the end of a journey; there was also the Hanged Man (indicating the planet of Neptune and self-sacrifice, both of which are Piscean attributes); and the High Priestess (indicating intuition and the Inner Mysteries, which is also indicative of Pisces). The card bridging the two arcs was the two of coins, which generally decisions, or sometimes indecision.

After some deeper study into these cards I believe I may have a very interesting Tarot Spread, indeed! However, I am curious if others have created a tarot spread in a similar manner by allowing the cards that have been drawn to signify the position meanings?

DesertDream

Oh wow, i never thought of this! Maybe you can make a spread showing us how to do it. Quite brilliant! Also, deck of a thousand spreads may also intrest you for spread design.

DesertDream

Oops double post

Reincar-Nation

The way I've done it a couple of times is to just decide in advance what i wanted the positions to be, ask for the cards to represent what you want them to. The First spread i ever invented, if you like, was a five card spread to show a person, a problem, a solution, a reward and a consequence, that worked really well

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

DesertDream

The way I've done it a couple of times is to just decide in advance what i wanted the positions to be, ask for the cards to represent what you want them to. The First spread i ever invented, if you like, was a five card spread to show a person, a problem, a solution, a reward and a consequence, that worked really well

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good spread. So you used the cards to define what the position ment? For example: if you ask what should i read about and you pull The Hierophant, that would mean you would use that position to signify tradition, vaules, or a marriage? Say if you were doing it with our without a spread in mind like a past, present, future spread. Or just a randomized spread were it tells you the meaning of the posistion without a spread. It could go both ways I'd imagine

Barleywine

I've never created a spread in quite such a visionary way before. The closest I've come is a pentagram spread with astrological associations for the points and center. I've made a few spreads with astrological symbolism that defines at least a portion of the meaning of each position, as well as some using the diurnal and nocturnal duality, and one following the 8 phases of the lunar cycle. I generally create a new spread when I see a need, often based on repeadedly-asked questions in this forum that, in my opinion, don't receive satisfactory answers. A good subject is timing, and another is location.

Reincar-Nation

That sounds like a good spread. So you used the cards to define what the position ment? For example: if you ask what should i read about and you pull The Hierophant, that would mean you would use that position to signify tradition, vaules, or a marriage? Say if you were doing it with our without a spread in mind like a past, present, future spread. Or just a randomized spread were it tells you the meaning of the posistion without a spread. It could go both ways I'd imagine

No I pretty much approach it with the question in mind "What does xxxx need to know about a problem or situation they are facing?" or words to that effect. Im quite specific about the order and meaning of the cards, however sometimes you need to shuffle it a bit in your own mind. For example I did a reading for a friend on another forum, for the Person it gave me Three of Swords, and problem was the Knight of Cups reversed - to me that said that there is a water sign male who is causing grief to those around him. The Solution card was the Emperor, so this person needed to be dealt with sternly and with authority, consequence was Ace of Pentacles reversed, looks like it was going to cause a materiel loss, moving out, lots of costs required to fix, something like that and the Reward card was (I think) the Hermit, this person would come closer to meeting their higher purpose once the problem was fixed. After I gave her the reading she told me her brother is a heroin addict and is breaking their family apart with it. He was trying to get clean and was even trying to become more spiritual (she is a medium also) so she was trying to help him out on that path, but it all made perfect sense to her!

Tanga

...However, I am curious if others have created a tarot spread in a similar manner by allowing the cards that have been drawn to signify the position meanings?

Yes.
I sometimes do this. :)
Can't give you an example though as I've not done it recently and don't record them.
Usually when I do - I'm adressing my spirit guides, and as I lay down the cards - just
"listen" to what they say about each one - if you get my meaning.

So - card a) Me: "Hmm, who's this message from... oh I think it's from you z... OK, and ahhh - what are you telling me"...
etc.