Thoth - Sam Weiser A Deck

Wendywu

It is my understanding that the cards in this deck have no pattern in the border....

So, there is a new listing on Ebay UK for a Thoth, Sam Weiser A where the cards displayed have the borders.

Is my understanding wrong?

gregory

I am watching several Thoths just now (just with interest) and none of the allegedly original ones show borders...

But don't post a link, PLEASE !!!! })

Wendywu

TarotGarden's database says no patterns in the borders. And I had one which I sold which IIRC didn't have patterns in the borders. (I finally understood I am not and never will be a Thoth kinda gal - Ironwing is as complicated as I think I want to get :))

Le Fanu

No, it didn't have patterns in the border :). Maybe one of those cases where boxes and deck are switched. Seems to happen a lot!

fyreflye

Just to clarify - do you mean borders on the backs? The Weiser cards do have borders on the face of the cards with no patterns like the later decks, but the backs are borderless.

gregory

No, I think she means that the borders of the card faces are patterned, and shouldn't be.

Wendywu

gregory is right - there should be no pattern in the borders of a real Sam Weiser A deck, and there are patterns in the borders of the listed deck.

Zezina

Neither of my two Samuel Weiser decks, with white boxes and gold slipcases (presumably 1969 White box 'A'), have patterns on the borders of the face of the cards.

They both have plain borders with variable shades from very pale to soft blue.

There are no edges on the backs of the cards, either.

One is a misprint deck (8 cups, Ace Coins). The other is not.

Both say 'Printed in the U.S.A.' on the outside of the white box

:heart: *Z*

gregory

Oh well - buyer beware and all that. Anyone who buys it for fun won't care and no-one from here who wants a Weiser will go for it, so we're all OK !

gregory

I've got some GREAT real McCoy ones I'm watching - not even trying for - though the one with gold ink is rather WOWish.... Sigh.

- numbers

300366566891, 300366950175 and 300366953721.

For any real collectors here !