Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Thoth System

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Thoth Tarot

Resident

tiripou 
Thoth System

I only learned recently that there are two basic approaches to tarot and I'd like to learn a little about the Thoth-based approach.

Since I'm not attracted to the imagery of the Thoth deck (or Liber-T or Via), is there an article on this site that explains the differences between the Thoth and Rider systems?

Alternatively, would the LWB for one of the Thoth-inspired decks help me understand the Thoth system?

Thanks so much,
tiripou
Top   #1
Resident

defile959 

Hi Tiripou,

Honestly, the Thoth is such a deep approach to Tarot that a single article or LWB probably wouldn't go too far in elucidating it. For a solid overview in layman's terms, I would recommend checking out Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot". This will give you quite a bit of insight into the cards themselves and the system behind them, without being nearly as demanding a read as Crowley's own "The Book of Thoth".

Hope this helps!

Jon
Top   #2
Permanent Resident of Halloween Town

WolfyJames 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiripou
I only learned recently that there are two basic approaches to tarot and I'd like to learn a little about the Thoth-based approach.

Since I'm not attracted to the imagery of the Thoth deck (or Liber-T or Via), is there an article on this site that explains the differences between the Thoth and Rider systems?
Actually there are three tarot traditions: Tarot de Marseille, Rider-Waite Smith and the Thoth. The Tarot de Marseille tradition is assurely older than the other two. It's a good thing that you try to discover more about the other traditions beside the Rider-Waite Smith. Both the Thoth and the Rider-Waite Smith are based on the Golden Dawn system but they indeed have a few differences, like Crowley put many thelemic elements in his tarot while Waite was more a christian mysticist. And I also think Waite was more optimist while Crowley more pessimist, it shows in the different meanings for the cards like Seven of Coins or Seven of Cups if you compare both decks about these cards.

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette is effectively the best beginner book for those who want to dabble with the Thoth and discover more Crowley's system.
Top   #3
formerly similia

Grigori 

Quote:
Probablythe first step is to find a deck that does appeal to you. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards...inspired.shtml There are some options here that might he more interesting, or you could consider a Golden Dawn style deck which is very much a similar approach. www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn.shtml

The Haindl has very good companion books, as does the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot. Though even withone of these decks the DuQuette book would still be very valuable I think. Alot of people who don't like the Thoth art like the Vision Quest and it would be quite easy to apply Duquette's book to that deck too.
Top   #4
Resident

tiripou 
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by similia
Probablythe first step is to find a deck that does appeal to you. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards...inspired.shtml There are some options here that might he more interesting, or you could consider a Golden Dawn style deck which is very much a similar approach. www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/golden-dawn.shtml

The Haindl has very good companion books, as does the Golden Dawn Magical Tarot. Though even withone of these decks the DuQuette book would still be very valuable I think. Alot of people who don't like the Thoth art like the Vision Quest and it would be quite easy to apply Duquette's book to that deck too.
Thanks, Similia! I do like the art of the Vision Quest deck, so I'm glad to hear that I can use that one to learn about the Thoth system.
Top   #5
Resident

tiripou 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by defile959
Hi Tiripou,

Honestly, the Thoth is such a deep approach to Tarot that a single article or LWB probably wouldn't go too far in elucidating it. For a solid overview in layman's terms, I would recommend checking out Lon Milo DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot". This will give you quite a bit of insight into the cards themselves and the system behind them, without being nearly as demanding a read as Crowley's own "The Book of Thoth".

Hope this helps!

Jon
Thank you for the book title, defile959. I'll give it a try!
Top   #6
Resident

tiripou 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyJames
Actually there are three tarot traditions: Tarot de Marseille, Rider-Waite Smith and the Thoth. The Tarot de Marseille tradition is assurely older than the other two. It's a good thing that you try to discover more about the other traditions beside the Rider-Waite Smith. Both the Thoth and the Rider-Waite Smith are based on the Golden Dawn system but they indeed have a few differences, like Crowley put many thelemic elements in his tarot while Waite was more a christian mysticist. And I also think Waite was more optimist while Crowley more pessimist, it shows in the different meanings for the cards like Seven of Coins or Seven of Cups if you compare both decks about these cards.

Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Duquette is effectively the best beginner book for those who want to dabble with the Thoth and discover more Crowley's system.
Thank you, WolfyJames. I'll take a look at Duquette's book.
Top   #7
ravenator

ravenest 

Quote:
Try Liber AL vel Legis
Top   #8
Resident

tiripou 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest
Try Liber AL vel Legis
Thanks for the suggestion.
Top   #9
Citizen

thorhammer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenest
Try Liber AL vel Legis
You're a cruel man, ravenest.

\m/ Kat
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.