Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Can Anyone Help Me Identify These Tumbled Rocks?

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Beyond Tarot > Crystals & Herbs


 
Marie-Bernard  Marie-Bernard is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Jan 2014
Location: among savage beasts and vermin
Posts: 299
Marie-Bernard 
Can Anyone Help Me Identify These Tumbled Rocks?


My great grandmother was a rock collector and even tumbled some stones of her own. Two of these came from her house, but I'm not sure if she did them. I know nothing of rocks and minerals, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Marie Bernard
Attached Images
  
Top   #1
twinage's Avatar
twinage  twinage is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 06 Feb 2011
Location: inside Dream World
Posts: 348
twinage 

I'm not sure with my answer since I'm just an ordinary everyday crystal lover
But I think the green one is seraphinite
The purple pinkish one is rhodonite

I'm don't know the red one and I'm not sure if the last one is black or blue, if it black, maybe it is an onyx.
Sorry that I can't help much.
Top   #2
pink daliha's Avatar
pink daliha  pink daliha is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 01 Oct 2011
Location: California, US
Posts: 269
pink daliha 

Hi. From what I've seen, though I'm not an expert, it looks like the black one could be a rainbow obsidian, the purple one is a sugilite, and the red one could be a type of jasper. Either Brecciated jasper or mooakite jasper.
Try looking at other examples online using these terms and see if anything looks similar. Good luck!
Top   #3
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

Sugalite is a good guess.

- I was wondering about a lower grade charoite?
I have a string of beads I was looking for to take a photo for you, but they are hiding at this moment. My low grade charoite beads do not have the really fascinating sheen that higher grade chariot has. Mine are purple with darker blackish accents.


Jasper is a good guess too. Is it like a shiney polished brick color?

- Or, what about red aventurine? Is there any kind of quartzy sparkle characteristic within the rock?
Top   #4
Amanda's Avatar
Amanda  Amanda is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 05 Nov 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 17,901
Amanda 

Your guess is as good as mine, I'm not really very into rocks, but the top left one that you have looks like a Pietersite stone that I have. The top right that you have kind of looks like some Unakite stones that I have, except mine don't look so purple; they're more reddish-pink rather than such a bright purple.
Top   #5
Marie-Bernard  Marie-Bernard is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 08 Jan 2014
Location: among savage beasts and vermin
Posts: 299
Marie-Bernard 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam O View Post
Sugalite is a good guess.

- I was wondering about a lower grade charoite?
I have a string of beads I was looking for to take a photo for you, but they are hiding at this moment. My low grade charoite beads do not have the really fascinating sheen that higher grade chariot has. Mine are purple with darker blackish accents.


Jasper is a good guess too. Is it like a shiney polished brick color?

- Or, what about red aventurine? Is there any kind of quartzy sparkle characteristic within the rock?
Polished brick color is a good description. Nothing that looks sparkly, but the blur vein you can see in the photo is a milky whitish-blue. The larger black one has a clearish see-through quality to it in direct light. Rather than black it looks filled with blue grey striations. The darker blue black one is opaque.
Top   #6
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie-Bernard View Post
Polished brick color is a good description. Nothing that looks sparkly, but the blur vein you can see in the photo is a milky whitish-blue. The larger black one has a clearish see-through quality to it in direct light. Rather than black it looks filled with blue grey striations. The darker blue black one is opaque.
The more I look at that red stone, it really looks like red aventurine to me. but, the white parts of it confuse me... It looks like it has a slight mirror like quality. Jasper I have does not look shiney, like glazed brick. Instead, my Jasper is a more dull look like broken brick, even though is polished....
[ETA: Aventurine is in the quartz family. Green aventurine is the most abundant color, then red, peach, and I do believe aventurine occasionally can be blue.]

Blue apatite has a see thru quality. Maybe that is what your blackish blue stone might be. I just don't know if apatite gets that dark.

The other dark stone. I keep wondering if that is smoky quartz?

The purple stone: Does the purple part look like die to you? It almost looks like it to me. They do die rocks a variety of colors often enough.
Top   #7
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_04 View Post
Your guess is as good as mine, I'm not really very into rocks, but the top left one that you have looks like a Pietersite stone that I have. The top right that you have kind of looks like some Unakite stones that I have, except mine don't look so purple; they're more reddish-pink rather than such a bright purple.
I don't know much about these stones you describe, so these could also be good options... I don't own either type.
Top   #8
Mellaenn's Avatar
Mellaenn  Mellaenn is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 25 Jul 2005
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,600
Mellaenn 
A Few More Guesses


Hello, all. I wonder if the upper left might be serpentine? And I think the lower right is definitely jasper. I agree with the sugilite as a possibility for the upper right. The lower left looks cool, but I've no guess for that; that blue flash in the middle of the black is what is throwing me off. I did google images for rainbow obsidian, though, which was a dangerous thing to do as now I've got an obsession to have me some of THAT!
Top   #9
gregory's Avatar
gregory  gregory is offline
Cat on a cold stone roof
 
Join Date: 01 Jan 2004
Location: The world of the things that could have been.
Posts: 72,249
gregory 

I can set my sister, who is a rock WHIZ onto this if you want - I have no idea myself....
Top   #10




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.