Wirth-influenced decks

Teheuti

Yes, there's a lot of Haich in there, too. But, I was shocked, when the English edition of Tarot of the Magicians came out to discover how much of it was straight translation from Wirth.

Teheuti

List of Wirth & Wirth-inspired Decks

Thanks to everyone who offered items that appear on this list. Please let me know about corrections, additions or changes in category. It should be noted that while Wirth got his major inspiration from Marseille-style decks and commentary/images by Eliphas Lévi, that he also drew from Paul Christian. I'll eventually add links to most of them.

CARDS & DECKS BY WIRTH:

1889 - Les 22 Arcanes du Tarot Kabbalistique, publisher: G. Poirel, Paris. B&W with color by stencil.

1889 - B&W line drawings illustrate Papus' Le Tarot des Bohemiens.

1897 - 7 B&W line drawings of tarot cards by Wirth appear in Stanislas de Guaita's La Clef de la Magie Noire (the 2nd volume of Le Serpent de la Genèse).

1911 - Revised B&W for an article on Masonry and the Tarot.

1926 - Art Nouveau style cards in color with metallic gold ink in a portfolio of 11 plates, published as Le Tarot: Des Imagiers du Moyen-Age: Restitvé dans l'esprit de son symbolisme par Oswald Wirth, Le Symbolisme, 16 rue Ernest-Renan, Paris.

1927 - B&W line art for Wirth's Le Tarot des Imagiers du Moyen Age. Some copies of the book are bound with the color portfolio plates.

POSSIBLE WIRTH DRAWINGS OR IN COLLABORATION WITH WIRTH:

1917 - Mosaic Images for the Tarot Chapel - Chateau de Aveniéres (with Assan Farid Dina).

NEAR EXACT REPLICAS:

1890s? - Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, Cary Playing Cards FRA 197/1, 197/2, 197/3. 1889 Wirth-style B&W deck with hand-written astrological signs and divinatory meanings. Kaplan, Encyclopedia of Tarot, Vol. 2 says they are inspired by Wirth. There's no signature and the colors don't match the original.

1960 - Replica in color and metallic gold on yellow card stock of the 1926 images without nouveau borders done by Georg Alexander (publisher?, Kusnacht-Zurich, Germany). http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/w-decks/wirthplanchescards.gif

1966 - Reprint of Le Tarot des Imagiers du Moyen Age, Claude Tchou, Paris. Accompanied by a variation of the 1926 images without nouveau borders: B&W illustrations and 22 card color deck with metallic copper ink, redrawn by Michel Simeon.

1969 - 22 cards accompanying Elisabeth Haich's Tarot, Die 22 Bewusstseinsstufen des Menshcen, Stuttgart, Germany.

1975 - Variation of the 1926 in color with metallic gold ink but without nouveau borders, accompanying Elisabeth Haich's book in English translated as The Wisdom of the Tarot. (Another source claims to have a book that included cards with the nouveau borders.) http://www.tarotgarden.com/database/images/w-decks/wirthhaichearlycards.gif

1976 - Oswald Wirth Tarot Deck, Simeon/Tchou, 78 card color deck with Minors by ?, printed for USGames.

1985, 1990 - The Tarot of the Magicians, translation by Diana Faber with Richard Gardner, with B&W Simeon/Tchou images, Weiser.

1986 - Wirth Tarot, 22 cards 1926-edition color with metallic gold on cream light card stock, Drei Eichen Verlag, Munich, Germany.

1997, 1998, 2001 - Le Tarot de Oswald Wirth, 22 cards 1926-edition color with metallic gold, Editions de L'Aigle, Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada.

CLOSE ADAPTATIONS:

1928 - J. Augustus Knapp painting of 1889 designs in M. P. Hall's The Secret Teachings of the Ages.

1929, 1934, 1981- Knapp-Hall Tarot, 78 cards, J. Augustus Knapp, Philosophical Research Society, Los Angeles CA (1985, USGames).

1938 - Lasenic Tarot (Lasenikuv Tarot), 78 cards, Pierre de Lasenic (original name Petr Kouhout), illustrated by Vladislav Kuzel. Republished by Trigon, Prague in 1995 and 2002.

1979 - Tarot Ideographic du Kebek, 22 cards, Yves Paquin, Editions de Mortagne, Ottowa, Canada. http://pasteboardmasquerade.com/Reviews/kebek.html

1983, 1984 - Le Tarot d'Argolance, 22 cards. Pierrick Pinot, Atelier d'Art, France. http://argolance.free.fr/english/tarot_argolance_presentation_.htm

1986 - Les 22 Lames du Tarot, Marguerite de Surany & Elisabeth de Ribes-Van der Kemp, Editions Justine, Paris.

1990s - Radical Wirth, 22 card imaginative recoloring of Simeon/Tchou version, Carol Herzer, Woodstock NY.

1989, 1995 - Tarocchi Ermetici, 22 cards, Sergio Toppi, Lo Scarabeo, Torino, Italy.

1993 - Zanoni Tarot, 22 cards, Roger Zanoni, Runinga, Ojai CA.

2007 - Universal Wirth, 78 cards, Stefano Palumbo & Giordano Berti - Lo Scarabeo, Turino, Italy, 2007.

? - Tarot/TAPO "Arcani Maggiori Tarocchi", Bulgarian, Russian language. Black and red box (can't read the text).

TOUCHES OF WIRTH:

1976 - Tarot Balbi, 78 cards, Domenico Balbi, Fournier, Vitoria, Spain.

1978 - The Tavaglione Tarot, Giorgio M.S. Tavaglione, USGames.

1985 - The Medieval Scapini Tarot, 78 cards, Luigi Scapini - USGames.

1986 - Eclectic Tarot, 78 cards, Josef Machynka, Piatnik, Vienna, Austria.

1990 - Tarot de Pumariega, 78 cards, Carlos Pumariega, Fournier, Vitoria, Spain.

1992 - Tarot Nagy Arkánumok (Kazanlár Tarot), 22 card deck and book, Kazanlár Ámin Emil, Kassák Kiadó, Budapest, Hungary. Reprinted as 78 card deck, USGames, 1996.

1999 - Le Nouveau Tarot de Marseille, 78 cards, Colette Silvestre-Haeberie, France Jeux Productions, Paris.

2000 - Tarot Namur, 22 cards, Namur & Marta Leyrós, Academia de Cultura Arcana, Brazil.

HINTS OF WIRTH:

1984 - Gareth Knight Tarot Deck, 78 cards, illus by Sander Littel, USGames. (Originally produced but not published, c. 1964.)

2001 - Beginner's Tarot, 78 cards, John Woodcock, Barron's Educational Publishing.

2005 - Le Grand Tarot Universal, 78 cards, Éditions Bruno de Nys, Betz, 2005.

eltarot78

Hi Mary

excuse the delay in its gathering of data,

if this sum is not something?

Francisco Stiglich, of Uruguay, this year he launched a book accompanied by a TdM deck designed by him

http://www.edicioneslea.com/libro.php?id=362

LA ROVE DE FORTVNE is inpired in Wirth

Lee

1976 - Oswald Wirth Tarot Deck, Simeon/Tchou 78 card color deck printed for USGames.
Mary, you might want to mention that only the 22 Majors are by Simeon. The rest of the cards were by some artist hired by Kaplan specifically for this deck.

Teheuti

I just added a couple more decks that I found among my Majors-only stash. I noted that the Minors of the USG Wirth deck was by someone else (will look it up later)--thanks, Lee.

eltarot78

It's more likely that the Wheel was inspired by Eliphas Levi, where the image came from, rather than Wirth - unless there are other Wirth cards in the deck?

as TDM geek (which I declare and acknowledge :) )
whenever I walk by a bookstore, sniff around too a little bit of what you see.

I was lucky enough to let me see the deck (I'm not here to judge)

I saw him quickly, but what I see,

The only card in his deck inspired by Wirth was that,
most likely it was to give a touch of personality and distinction to the deck of him.

I must admit that I find compelling this card

Freddie

Hi,

Here is a newer one to add to that list. I believe it is a major arcana set.

Le tarot philosophique by Jean Haab 2010

http://www.amazon.fr/tarot-philosophique-livre-Jean-Haab/dp/2950735223

Looks like a reworking of the U.S. Games version. There is a 78 card version of the Us Games version on Ebay France in a book set box (in French) with a yellow tablecloth design box like the backs. Auction claims set is from 1973.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/TRES-RARE-Coffre...lections_Objets_religieux&hash=item3cbf399049

I love the list. Well done!

Freddie

Freddie

Isn't this just a book with illustrations. I don't believe it mentions a deck, does it?

Mary

Sorry about that Mary, my fault as I didn't give a better link. Here is the kit on auction on eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Le-tarot-...W_Livres_BD_Revues_Livres&hash=item2566f76baa

The cover picture reminds me a bit of the Fournier Marseille (another deck in my top 5), I have such odd taste in Tarot compared to what everyone here seems to like that sometimes I feel I know nothing about the subject. I want both the new and the older Wirth sets.

Freddie