78 Degrees of what?!

BSwett

I previously posted that this very well reviewed book was giving me an uneasy feeling about the Tarot. The preface and first chapter where confusing me tremendously with what felt like some forced associations and meanings, but now that i've started on the card analysis, i'm digging Pollack's approach.

Peace,
B.

Richard

It's just a book. Toss it.

ETA. Great book. Hope you enjoy it! :rolleyes:

JenWt43

I admit that I never finished reading my copy of this book...I found out that I prefer a resource that helps to build a relationship with each card, such as Gareth Knight's "The Magical World of the Tarot." But I realize this isn't for everyone. Maybe I just tried to read the Pollack book at the "wrong" time for me.(?)

GoldenWolf

I like Rachel Pollack's take on the cards, but I recognize that it isn't for everyone. Set it aside and try something else.

Padma

Go with your own flow, dude :)

Reminds me of when I had my baby, oh so many years ago...and the first pediatrician I went to listened to me for 15 minutes, then advised me to throw all my assorted baby books in the trash :) best advice i ever got! :D (and my child is now a wonderful and healthy 28 year old :) )

BSwett

Well,
I don't think I'm gonna put it down just yet. Sometimes we need to warm up to a particular writers form, or perspective…. I'll endure for a while.

papercutbliss

I admit that I never finished reading my copy of this book...I found out that I prefer a resource that helps to build a relationship with each card, such as Gareth Knight's "The Magical World of the Tarot." But I realize this isn't for everyone. Maybe I just tried to read the Pollack book at the "wrong" time for me.(?)

Just sent this book to my Kindle yesterday. Looks very promising and...intimate.

Shade

What I love about 78 Degrees of Wisdom is that Pollack is showing a way of looking the Tarot syncretically rather than just giving a list of interpretations. This isn't as spelled out as it is in Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card but I think many people finish 78 Degrees with a much broader sense of how to approach Tarot.