Fairy Tale Tarot (HUNT) XI: Justice (The Goose Girl)

keeks

An initial description:

A woman stands in a courtyard. She is blonde, pale, and petite, and wears a dress with a torn hem- the blouse is blue with decorated sleeves. Her feet are bare and her hair is wild. She holds a crooked shepherd's hook and is looking behind her. On the wall above the doorway is a horse's head with a white star on it's forehead. Growing up the wall is a large twisting vine. Around her feet are seven geese.

Preliminary meanings:

The girl pauses in her daily task, looking back. Remember, Justice comes to those who wait.

The basic fairy tale from once upon a fairy tale (The Goose Girl):

A queen marries her daughter off and gives her a handkerchief with three drops of her blood, a talking horse -Falada- and a maid. The maid refuses to serve her and she loses the handkerchief, then the maid forces her to switch roles or die. The princess is assigned as a goose herder while the maid plays princess and has the horse killed. The princess has the head mounted and it speaks to her. The other herder complains and the king follows and discovers the truth, having the maid killed and the princess placed back where she belonged.

personal significance:

Good things come to those who wait- Justice is served.

book symbolism, etc:

Geese signify innocence, vigilance, and untamed spirit. The horse represents judgement and reason. Truth and balance are key. A higher power is at work, and karma will bring justice. Trust your instincts and proceed in a rational manner and the truth will surface in time.

variations of The Goose Girl:

- The Maiden from whose Head Pearls fell on Combing Herself (Portugeuse): A mother gives her daughter a comb and a towel as she dies. Whenever the girl used them, pearls would appear and she strung six bunches together for her brother to sell. He sells them to a king who wants to marry her. She brings a neighbor and her daughter on the journey, and a neighbor poisons her, then convinces the brother to pass off her daughter as the sister. They throw the maiden over the boat, and a servant frees her, and keeps her at the palace. The maiden's dog goes by the window daily telling her of the brother's sentence for death because of the neighbor. The servant tells the king, who hears the dog, and then marries the maiden and sentences the neighbor and her daughter to death.

Traditional meanings of Justice (From Gray's book):

Justice is the action that destroys as well as builds, that the false must be cut away from the true. The scales of gold represent balanced judgement, as balance is indicated here. It is that of the Great Mother through whose love, care, and perfect justice the children of men may achieve equilibrium. The purified, disciplined personality now recognizes the one life and feels it standing beside him, as the sword of power endows him with the ability to divine right from wrong. Balance is required- eliminate excess baggage and wrong ideas. It is the desire for education. Reversed is injustice.

Parallels:

By eliminating the baggage of sorrow and a bitter heart and by maintaining her cheer, the princess has justice, which destroys the handmaiden and her facade. Through this action, the true princess is revealed like a diamond in the rough.

Justice (From Journey of the hero):

Traditionally the eighth card, it represents the first experiences had by a person who leaves the parental home and goes out into the world, fully responsible for ourselves. When it shows up, this is a well-considered decision, a reasonable judgement made through critical examination and on the broad basis of objective data. The mature ego understands how to assume responsibility when needed and also how to clearly and distinctly draw the line when someone is trying to wrongly foist something upon us. Archetype is intelligence. Risk is prejudice.

Related to the fairy tale tarot version of Justice:

The naive goose girl is overcome by the mature ego of the hand maiden.

Meditation/writing jump off:

I sighed heavily as I looked back at Falada, my dress moving in the breeze. The geese clacked at my feet, and Falada looked mournfully back at me, preparing to tell me that my mother would be saddened to see me like this. My destiny is in my own hands now though, and it is time for me to take control.