Centennial Edition - Smith-Waite Tarot

TeaBiscuts

Well I am very new to tarot, I started out with my first deck Tarot of the Vampyres, how ever I found that I was getting confused with the images not the same for beginners who use Rider Waite deck so, I felt for myself it would be best to learn using Ride waite deck, then I can use my Tarot of Vampyres.

I purchased today the Smith-Waite tarot - centennial edition deck, I hope I am posting in the right area of the forum.

I hope this is the right version of rider waite to first learn with, I also notice here in this forum area it is for rider waite deck question symbolism etc. which I feel will be a good place for me to start.

so do I learn the symbolism first and history or can I dive in and start reading, sorry lots of questions.

The crowned one

TeaBiscuts said:
so do I learn the symbolism first and history or can I dive in and start reading, sorry lots of questions.

I would read and learn symbolism and history at the same time as they go hand in hand in tarot. Personally I do not think the cards can be read without some knowledge or publishers would not throw in the LWB ;) Intuition comes from within and is knowleded based, the more you learn, the better your reading will become. But learning without practise ( reading) is not effective either, so use the two together....

You have chosen the right path !

TeaBiscuts

Thank you,, so I have an understanding of the forum, if I have ?'s about this deck I would ask them here, when I share my readings, I'm to post in your reading, if I have a question about a card I post it in the using tarot cards area, or do I post the ?'s about a card here?

rwcarter

TeaBiscuts said:
Thank you,, so I have an understanding of the forum, if I have ?'s about this deck I would ask them here, when I share my readings, I'm to post in your reading, if I have a question about a card I post it in the using tarot cards area, or do I post the ?'s about a card here?
Welcome to Aeclectic, TeaBiscuits! You have it pretty much correct. Discussion of the RWS deck (cards, symbolism, etc.) should occur here in the RWS forum. Readings should be discussed in Your Readings. If you want to discuss the general archetype of a card, Using Tarot Cards would be the correct forum. But if you want to discuss just the specific card in the RWS, then this is the correct forum.

To make the last point clear, since you mentioned the Vampyres deck, if you want to discuss say the archetype of Justice as it applies to any deck, then UTC is the proper forum. But if you wanted to discuss the card Justice from the RWS, then you would discuss it here. (And if you wanted to discuss Justice from the Vampyres deck, you'd do so in the Study Group for that deck. This forum could be considered a super-sized Study Group for the RWS.)

And do take a moment to look through the Index at the top of the Forum. It's quite comprehensive, if I do say so myself. :)

Rodney