Which spread for a general question?

kalistella

Hi

I'm just starting to read for other people and was wondering what was the best spread to tackle a 'general' reading.

What spread do people use to start a reading with?

AnemoneRosie

Because I charge by the card I use either a 5-card or 7-card horseshoe, or a simple three-card with whatever questions are most pertinent.
Or I use one that I've designed for the purpose that is essentially the first half of a celtic cross (cover/cross and the four cards around) with modified card assignments.

LindaMechele

Personally I use the spread from the Madame Eudora's Fortune Cards LWB. I posted the spread here because I think it's perfect for tarot.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=33225
I like that one, WolfyJames. I especially like that it uses directions and their correspondences, i.e. the west for the past, north for thoughts and dreams, etc. Correspondences I already know makes it so easy to remember what each position signifies.

Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:

kalistella

Thank you everyone for responding

I will give your suggestions a try :)

delinfrey

If a seeker asks for a "general" reading, I usually go for a pompous, zillion-card spread (I have a really old "life" spread in my book of shadows for this case), or I do the "spiderweb" - a small 3-5 card spread and then we continue as an interview (which of these aspects do you want to continue with).

And of course you can always use the good old Opening of the Key first operation - gives you tons of information. Decide on the focus topic according to where the significator falls and you are good to go.

WhiteFoxTarot

I tend to do three-card spreads (unless they are paid readings, in which case 5 or 10 cards) but then if I feel the cards need to elaborate I will draw another card. For instance if I had something like two of swords, I would ask the tarot 'What can the querant do to help them with this decision?' Or something along those lines!

kalistella

Cheers!

Thanks for all your help :)

I have heard of the Opening of the Key and will research that one definitely.

A lot of people start with a 3 or 5 card spread so it clearly works well. I just hate it when people ask for a general reading as a focused question is much easier! Still with experience...........

chongjasmine

I will use a 3 cards spread.

Krawof

Hi

I'm just starting to read for other people and was wondering what was the best spread to tackle a 'general' reading.

What spread do people use to start a reading with?

Hello there, I normally just use 1 card for simple question like I talk to my deck.
when I read for others, base on their question I will search which spread suit for their question ( like career, love, family, etc) but mostly 3 card spread and Celtic cross can solve most the problem.
and with the yes/no question I just use yes/no rule like take odd number of card and then see how many upward and how many reverse.
In conclusion I think you can try Celtic cross. that spread can help you answer many questions :)
good luck